Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
AXS 1X drivetrain cassette compatibility?
Quote | Reply
Hi guys,

I just placed an order for a shiv tt which i'm super excited about šŸ˜

The bikes comes stock with a 1x setup and a 10-28 casette.
I'd like to swap the casette for a 10-33 if possible to get over some of the local hills a bit easier on training rodes but i'm unsure whether that would work with the 1x sram group.

Pretty sure i'd need a different rear derailleur with di2 at least.
Do you guys happen to know what i'd have to do in order to fit a bigger cassette?
Quote Reply
Re: AXS 1X drivetrain cassette compatibility? [Holderbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why would you need Di2?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The AXS short cage derailleur will handle 10-26, 10-28, and 10-33 cassettes.
The AXS long cage derailleur will handle 10-28, 10-33, and 10-36 cassettes (although I've had issues getting it setup for 10-28).

I don't know why you mention di2 derailleur.

You just need to buy a 10-33 AXS cassette from SRAM. You'll also need to check your chain length and might need a new chain. If you want to go to 10-36, you'll need a new derailleur and a new cassette.
Quote Reply
Re: AXS 1X drivetrain cassette compatibility? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He knows he couldn't go to 33 with a short cage shimano derailleur, which is why he's asking instead of just throwing one on there.
Quote Reply
Re: AXS 1X drivetrain cassette compatibility? [Geronimo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Geronimo wrote:
He knows he couldn't go to 33 with a short cage shimano derailleur, which is why he's asking instead of just throwing one on there.

What does a Shimano derailleur have to do with the OP's bike?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He's asking if this one thing (a sram derailleur), which which is he not familiar, has the same limitation as this other thing (a shimano derailleur), with which he is familiar.
Quote Reply
Re: AXS 1X drivetrain cassette compatibility? [Geronimo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Geronimo wrote:
He's asking if this one thing (a sram derailleur), which which is he not familiar, has the same limitation as this other thing (a shimano derailleur), with which he is familiar.

I have no idea how you came up with that idea.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you ordered it why not have them build it with what you want? may cost a few bucks more and delay it a little but doesn't hurt to ask.
Quote Reply
Re: AXS 1X drivetrain cassette compatibility? [Craigfsl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well the mechanic at my local shop said he is unsure whether it a 10-33 would fit and they wouldn't allow me to change the inital order anyways.
Only stock they said so i'd have to order the cassette seperarely anyways and sell the 10-28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why would the mechanic not know if a 10-33 would fit?

Why do you think the bike comes with a 10-28 cassette?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well he said i might need a long cage rear derailleur but was unsure about it.
That's why i figured i'd post here.

10-28 is what the stock bike ships with according to the specialized website.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Holderbert wrote:

SRAM specifically says that the Red AXS short cage rear derailleur works with a 33 tooth cog:

https://www.sram.com/...m/models/rd-red-e-d1

The Specialized website shows that the Shiv Red eTap AXS bike comes with a 10-33 cassette:

https://www.specialized.com/...earchText=97420-0101
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thereā€™s a lot going on in this thread. If bike comes with Sram red or force etap AXS then you should be able to add a 33t cassette

https://www.sram.com/...m/models/rd-red-e-d1

https://www.sram.com/...m/models/rd-frc-e-d1
Quote Reply
Re: AXS 1X drivetrain cassette compatibility? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have any idea how Di2 fits into this?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Do you have any idea how Di2 fits into this?

No, trying to get past that apparent confusion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Holderbert wrote:

I would find a new LBS then. As two of us have pointed out in this thread, the SRAM website gives you the answer with about 25 seconds of searching.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Eagle 1X RD is compatible

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's pretty obvious, he says he'd need a new derailleur with di2, since a short cage di2 derailleir can't fit a 33 tooth cassette, and was wondering if a short cage etap derailleur will be the same. It's ok to answer people's questions without feeling the need to belittle them for not knowing sometimes
Quote Reply
Re: AXS 1X drivetrain cassette compatibility? [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
It's pretty obvious, he says he'd need a new derailleur with di2, since a short cage di2 derailleir can't fit a 33 tooth cassette, and was wondering if a short cage etap derailleur will be the same. It's ok to answer people's questions without feeling the need to belittle them for not knowing sometimes

What does Di2 have to do with this?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Holderbert wrote:
Well the mechanic at my local shop said he is unsure whether it a 10-33 would fit and they wouldn't allow me to change the inital order anyways.

You really need to find a new mechanic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
imswimmer328 wrote:

What does Di2 have to do with this?

Well, most short cage RDā€™s are not compatible with a 33t rear cog. The mechanic didnā€™t have the specs for AXS memorized, and maybe wasnā€™t online at the time the OP was asking the question.

Not sure why people are saying to get a new mechanic if they donā€™t have this one thing memorized.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: AXS 1X drivetrain cassette compatibility? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It took me 10 seconds to go to the SRAM website and see that it could handle 33 teeth.

And what does Di2 have to do with this?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Because
(1) I honestly would expect that to be the type of info a mechanic would or should know;
(2) if not, ok, fine, but i had confirmed what I thought to be the answer while typing out a response to this thread.

If your mechanic doesnā€™t know either of the above, I would move on. Thatā€™s just my opinion though.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Oct 10, 20 15:48
Quote Reply
Re: AXS 1X drivetrain cassette compatibility? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why should they know that specific question off the top of their head? Better to say ā€œIā€™m not sureā€ than pretend you do know and give the wrong answer. Iā€™m pretty good with excel as part of my job, but I donā€™t know what the max number of rows in a spreadsheet is (I used to, but not anymore)

And Iā€™m not really sure how knowing that narrow answer has any bearing on his ability to do the tasks that require a bit of skill and/or experience.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Why should they know that specific question off the top of their head? Better to say ā€œIā€™m not sureā€ than pretend you do know and give the wrong answer. Iā€™m pretty good with excel as part of my job, but I donā€™t know what the max number of rows in a spreadsheet is (I used to, but not anymore)

And Iā€™m not really sure how knowing that narrow answer has any bearing on his ability to do the tasks that require a bit of skill and/or experience.

Sure I can answer your questions

(1) itā€™s a fairly new product and a point of emphasis for the new 1x product as the shirt cage RDā€™s use up to 33t cassettes
(2) there are really only 2 major manufacturers of components in the US. Sram is one. Itā€™s not like heā€™ being asked to know something about a bike-brand-specific issue.
(3) of course he shouldnā€™t pretend or lie. But, better to know then not know. And much better to know where to look for the answer if you donā€™t know. Like, ā€œ Hey, Shopper, I donā€™t know off the top off my head, but give me two minutes and I can find you the answer.ā€ Or ā€œIā€™m tied up right now, but I know where to look and will have the answer to you tomorrow.ā€
(4) I disagree with the premise that a Mechanicā€™s value proposition is limited to wrenching. I expect them to be able to offer insight/expertise on how to build a bike with compatible components, what works well/not well etc. I recently had my mechanic do a build and they offered me all sorts of advice on things like disc brake size, valve extender choice, use of grease in certain bike parts, and some issues that were specific to my bike (the proprietary stem and handlebar).
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Oct 10, 20 16:20
Quote Reply

Prev Next