Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

ATTN: COACHES CHECK IN (qualifications and certifications)
Quote | Reply
  Just wondering for the coaches out there what certifications, degrees, and qualifications you currently hold and what programs you would like to enroll to better your coaching career.

I asked because I am currently working on a BS in Kinesiology, im trying to finish collateral and elective work right now at a JC before transferring and finishing my upper division. This track is set in stone. Whats grey is the graduate school, here are some options Im thinking of.

-Masters Kinesiology

-Masters Sports Management

-DPT

Let me know what roads you have taken and what degrees and certs. have been most useful to you. thanks again, Keau
Quote Reply
Re: ATTN: COACHES CHECK IN (qualifications and certifications) [KEAU] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My feeling is that a strong educational background in human physiology is essential. After that it's all about experience and not necessarily as an athlete - it could be just years of coaching. Too many people think that just because someone has been a great athlete that they will make a a great coach. I have met many a great athlete who does not seem to have a clue what they are doing from a physiological perspective or on the ( 1 - 10) personality scale they are about a 2!!

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: ATTN: COACHES CHECK IN (qualifications and certifications) [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very true, Ken's book has a line in it that sums that situation up in a nutshell. "Kareem Abdul Jabar cant teach how to be 7 ft" . But on the other hand their are plenty of sophisticated people out there who understand the science but can't relate to you athletically.

I notice there are alot of excellent coaches with non-traditional backgrounds.

My question is for coaches that have a background in Sports Med, Physio, Kines, Bio Mech, etc. What programs has helped you out the most in your career or what program would you like to do?

For coaches with non-traditional backgrounds, what has helped you suceed in your career and if needed, what would hlep you improve on that.

thanks for any and all support Please PM or email me. Keau
Quote Reply
Re: ATTN: COACHES CHECK IN (qualifications and certifications) [KEAU] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I own a coaching company- I have an Honours Degree in Physical Ed and Sport Science, right now I lecture/ teach sports psychology and skill acquisition as well as social, ethical and contemporary issues in sports. I have coached at national team level and competed in a team sport at National level in Europe... none of that makes me a good coach- but my experiences and work with other good/ excellent coaches utilising good practice and training principles has given me an excellent basis for my own coaching philosophies. I am not USAT certified- may do one day, but the level one holds nothing I am unaware of.

Triathlon is such a young sport, and it is rapdily evolving- a good coach will keep abreast of those research developments and consistently evalute their own coaching goals and their athlete's training.

Just my 2 cents

Weeman
Quote Reply
Re: ATTN: COACHES CHECK IN (qualifications and certifications) [weeman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 I've been a coach for about 14 years, and an elite athlete most of my life. What really helped me to become a good coach was working for, and studying under some of the most successful coaches in the world. What also helped was to pay attention and to be curious. When I coached in college, I had a whole staff of people at my disposal. Strength coaches, trainers, nutritionists, doctors, psychologists and other coaches from different sports. I didn't just hand them my athletes, I asked lots of questions, and was very involved.

As an elite athlete, I learned from my coaches and trainers why they had me doing the things that I did. In order to be a good athlete, I had to understand exactly why I was doing something. After 30 years of racing, you catch on.

Sponsors were also a great source of information. From aerodynamics to nutrition, I learned a great deal from them. They are the experts in their fields. They have a great deal of research, and trial and error, behind them. They are very eager to share it with their athletes.

No mater what education and background you have, you need to be curious and have good instincts. Unfortunately, the 'it' that makes a good coach isn't really something that can be learned. Ask a lot of questions, and use your own intellect and instincts to put it all together.
Quote Reply
Re: ATTN: COACHES CHECK IN (qualifications and certifications) [mep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Te one other factor I did not mention is the 'relationship and communication' thatis needed for success. If ihad a dollar for all the intelligent, though provoking scholars who had the knowledge to coach but lacked the social and communicative skills- I would be very rich. Giving workouts is one thing, motivating motivating and developing trust and respect is another

I like your points- very true and under represented.

Weeman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an BS in exersice science with concentrations in human performance and health. I have some grad work done towards a masters in exercise physiology. I'd recommend a few ex phys courses to give you a backgrounder on what happens to the various systems in the body w/ exercise. Read a ton of exercise phys journals, research and books. I'll concur that the USAT Level I course was a waste of time and money. Very, very, very rudimentary and basic, they did not even cover HR zones or power training zones. The guy in charge said that was for a more advancd course, which I thought was a crock of crap. The best aspects were the business and legal aspects. I'm USAT I certified.

The best things I did were to

1. question the heck out of my college XC coach my sophmore and junior years making him validate every workout as to why we were doing it and what it was to accomplish both short and long term. Which may be why he asked me not to trun my fourth year and fifth year in school.

2. I also started coaching swimming and questioned the coaches about every workout and they did the same to me. I talked with some of the swimmers at school and some of the professors about training methodology.

My hands on experience, training and racing career taught me more about being a coach and coaching then my schooling did, but my schooling laid the foundation to undestand and develop the how, what and why of coaching. None of what I understood early in my career.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Sep 21, 05 16:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nothing from smartasscoach ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: ATTN: COACHES CHECK IN (qualifications and certifications) [Saber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Almost done with my PhD, LOL!

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Re: ATTN: COACHES CHECK IN (qualifications and certifications) [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A bit of a different perspectice...I make my loving coaching, though not in triathlon.

I have a varied background including competing at an international level as an athlete in the sport I coach. That experience is good, but not the most important. I am also a level 4 coach up here in Canada, both with my national sport organization and with our national governing body for coaches. This is good also, but not nearly as useful as my education. Coaching courses are basically a light overview of everything, geared towards the everyday person - one without the high level of understanding gained in university. I know, because I am a course conductor, and I let the students know that this course is just the beginning of becoming a good coach. The onus is up to them to take what they have learned, and expand on it.

Educationally, I have two bachelors degrees - biology and kinesiology. The focus of the first was physiology, and the second was biomechanics. These, combined with an inquisitive mind, are the most usefull tools. I am currently finishing a masters in Exercise Physiology. I use my education a lot, but more importantly I use the skills I gained in my education...the ability to analyze, to think for myself, to question, and to problem solve.

There's a saying in baseball that those that spend the most time sitting on the bench will make the best coaches. They have nothing to do but watch, learn and think for themselves as they observe situation after situation. Some will pass the time chewing tobacco and playing cards, but the future coaches will watch, analyze, think, and absorb everything that comes their way, because tey love the game and they want to know everything about it...that's the hallmark of a good coach.

I have very little respect for a coach who sees the certification as the end of the road. It's the beginning, and needs to be enhanced by experiences, education and above all the ability to think for yourself. Honestly, anyone here can pass a level 1 coaching course or personal training course, and to the general public be seen as an "expert". A good coach will have more than that, and will understand that those certifications come fairly easy when compared to the real life experiences that are more valuable in that profession.
Quote Reply
Re: ATTN: COACHES CHECK IN (qualifications and certifications) [GearGrinder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I have very little respect for a coach who sees the certification as the end of the road. It's the beginning ...

Anyone can get certified by a sports federation as a coach, so in reality it means nothing. Conversely, the fact that someone is not certified does not mean that he/she is not a capable coach.

Additionally, coaches often use an elite athlete as a client as an example of their abilities. Sports history is full of elite athletes who did well in spite of poor coaching. Without evidence that "but for the coach's training progam the elite athlete would not be competing at the level he/she is", the elite athlete as a client is a useless indicator as well.

I believe that the personalilty fit between a coach and athlete is perhaps the most important issue in choosing a coach, so in that regard it might be good to supplement education in physiology with classes dealing with psychology and communication, i.e. how to communicate the principles you have learned with an athlete in addition to understanding the athlete's verbal and non-verbal communication in training and competition. Communication is key.
Quote Reply
Re: ATTN: COACHES CHECK IN (qualifications and certifications) [GearGrinder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
A bit of a different perspectice...I make my loving coaching,
That is certainly a different perspective ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Read 10 coaching books then mesh their principles together, like this Coach:

http://www.letsrun.com/...82&thread=305782
Quote Reply
Re: ATTN: COACHES CHECK IN (qualifications and certifications) [Niles Standish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
omg, for a moment there I thought he was BACK!

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Re: ATTN: COACHES CHECK IN (qualifications and certifications) [Diablo-Advocato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kind of like college, eh?

Eric
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 I think Im gonna go with the DPT route. Its only an extra year of interning and clinicals and should cover all angles. Final decision came down to the injury/performance ratio. thanks for the advice and keep it coming, Keau
Quote Reply