Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

ASICS GT-2110 and achilles tendon problem
Quote | Reply
I normally run in ASICS Nimbus and have never had any problems with my achilles tendon. I recently purchased a set of GT-2110 for additional support and my achilles has started bothering me.

Has anyone else had this problem?
Quote Reply
Re: ASICS GT-2110 and achilles tendon problem [znmstr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I would suggest the issue is not necessarily with any particular brand or model of shoe, but perhaps an issue of shoe selection to a greater degree.

Shoes that incorporate a higher degree of motion control-regardless of brand- can compel your lower extremities to do things upon footstrike and during the foot plant that may be counter to what your normal skeletal/muscular alignment may dictate. The shoe's "alignment" is overpowering the "natural" alignment of your lower leg.

This may simply mean it isn't necessarily the optimal shoe for you right now.

Less structured shoes like (at the extreme) the Nike Free have almost no heel counter and very little "stability" from a shoe/structural viewpoint. A shoe like this relies on your own "natural" or latent skeletal alignment to determine the attitude of your lower leg during the running stride. For some people, this works- although it is a rather extreme/minimalist approach. This is a perspective shared by quite a few, including the noted Dr. Phil Maffetone, who feels a highly structured, cushioned shoe is the bane of acheiving a natural, efficient stride.

I run in Asics shoes and have excellent luck with them. They have a pretty diverse stable of shoes with a wide range of stability/cushion levels. Maybe switching to a different, less "controlling" shoe might feel better to you.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I first purchased the Nimbus-no problems, then I bought the 2110, that's when I first experienced achilles issues. I have had the same problem with my achilles. I rotate 2-3 different shoes throughout the week and once I took the 2110 out of my shoe rotation, problem went away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does it have a higher back (the part of the shoe that goes up the back of the heel) that digs into your AT when you run? I just bought a new pair of Asics and the back was 1/2" higher than my old pair. It digs into my AT and causes pain. My son just got a new pair of sneakers-I can't wear them.

Shawn: Can you suggest any models that have a lower back?

Quote | Reply
There's quite a bit of difference between the two shoes...the GT-2110 has a lower, softer heel than the Nimbus, and as Tom said, the GT-2110 also features some support/stability through the midfoot (arch area). My guess is that the lower, softer heel of the GT-2110 is causing some extra stretch to you lower leg/calf muscles. This in turn is pulling on the achilles, causing the discomfort. You need to really stretch your lower legs, the muscles of the calf, the achilles, and even the arch...everything is connected.

Shawn
TORRE Consulting Services, LLC
http://www.TORREcs.com

Quote Reply
Re: ASICS GT-2110 and achilles tendon problem [ShawnF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any suggestions on a shoe for me? I run mainly pavement, some dirt. Normal running motion. Age 47, calf and AT issues.

Re: ASICS GT-2110 and achilles tendon problem [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Follow-up question-any store in Central CA with a good selection of Asics shoes and hoepfully someone who is knowledgable to help?

Quote | Reply
It's impossible for me to recommend shoes over the net, I would need to see you and your feet/legs. Central CA? That's a big area : ) but try the link below to Fleet Feet or ask some local runners where they shop. Good luck.

http://www.fleetfeet.com/locations/

Shawn

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No Fleet Feet in my area. Anything near Fresno you can suggest? Promise I will stay out of Big 5 ;-)

Quote | Reply
There's a 'retail locator' on the ASICS site. This is what I found:

Sierra Running 671 E. Nees Avenue
Fresno CA 93720 559-451-0790

Hopefully, they can help you out.

Shawn

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gracias

Quote | Reply
Shawn,

Thanks for the ASICS-specific feedback. I really appreciate this information.

Is there an ASICS shoe that provides the mid-foot support of the GT-2110 without the lower, softer heel?

I had a running analysis done and the person who did the analysis indicated that I should probably move to a shoe with the mid-foot support. That is why I moved into the GT-2110.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GEL-Kayano or the GEL-Empire might be options. Or you could just stretch more ; )

Shawn

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shawn,

Thanks for the recommendations. I will check into the Kayano and Empire.

I have very good flexibility with my ankles and calves, thus this might not be the issue. However, this does add a bit of a twist to the situation. It would make sense that if one didn't have good flexibility, then the lower, softer heel of the GT-2110 might be the contributing factor to the achilles pain in the right foot.

What do you think?
Quote Reply