Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

AERO SHOE COVER FOR IM
Quote | Reply
Is it worth it to wear aero shoe covers for an IM if you could save 2:00 wearing shoe covers?
Quote Reply
Re: AERO SHOE COVER FOR IM [micaza75] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
do they take less than 2:00 to put on and remove?

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Re: AERO SHOE COVER FOR IM [renorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If there was a way to have them already be partially on the shoe. However, you would have to pull them on after doing a flying mount and loosen them to do a dismount. Complete waste of time

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
micaza75 wrote:
Is it worth it to wear aero shoe covers for an IM if you could save 2:00 wearing shoe covers?

not with the current designs that I've seen. the ones that will save you 2:00 come up quite high on the leg, with a zipper behind your leg. It takes time to zip up properly i.e. in a way that it will stay zipped up during the ride. If it comes loose, it might cost you 2 min instead.

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Skinfit do a pair, although I've yet to be convinced even though they're designed to be fast to pull over and pull off the shoe.
SteveMc
Quote Reply
Re: AERO SHOE COVER FOR IM [renorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
renorider wrote:
do they take less than 2:00 to put on and remove?

NAILED IT!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
micaza75 wrote:

I highly doubt you'll save 2 minutes and it will take just about that much to put them on and take them off. You're over thinking it. Just get on your bike and ride.....
Quote Reply
Re: AERO SHOE COVER FOR IM [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've often thought about Castelli's toe warmers, I use them in early season duathlons and tri in the Uk and they 'look' aero, smoothing out the front of the shoe up to the strap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have a source for this 2:00 time savings?

You may also want to keep in mind that over the course of 112 miles, total operating efficiency is not an exclusive function of aerodynamics. Overheating extremeties (such as legs shrouded in aero covers) come to mind.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tinley for the win.

Quote Reply
Re: AERO SHOE COVER FOR IM [burnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some (maybe most) shoe covers will cost you time over a non covered shoe.
Based on the test results I've seen I'd skip the shoe covers, even in straight TT's, except for a few pair that seem to test well consistently.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: AERO SHOE COVER FOR IM [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
which ones tested well consistently?

desert dude wrote:
Some (maybe most) shoe covers will cost you time over a non covered shoe.
Based on the test results I've seen I'd skip the shoe covers, even in straight TT's, except for a few pair that seem to test well consistently.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: AERO SHOE COVER FOR IM [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

there was another thread about this ... i think the conclusion was that the non-plasticized ones, in particular the castelli's, are most consistently performant. is that what you found?
Quote Reply
Re: AERO SHOE COVER FOR IM [buzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
buzz wrote:

there was another thread about this ... i think the conclusion was that the non-plasticized ones, in particular the castelli's, are most consistently performant. is that what you found?

Castelli Nano is the most consistently good. If you haven't tested whatever you're planning on using, don't use them. Shoe covers can be surprisingly bad.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: AERO SHOE COVER FOR IM [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any other covers that test well consistently?
Quote Reply