Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

808 aeroness and other techie ramblings
Quote | Reply
Anyone have any ideas, sources, or guesses as to the aeroness of the 808 front compared to a trispoke or the 404, other than the zipp claim that this wheel may as well be God.

anyone seen or have ideas about the new bontrager integrated aerobar? better or worse than visiontech?

thanks

jared
Quote Reply
Re: 808 aeroness and other techie ramblings [trijunior] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's on ths website, although I'm not sure what Kraig's criteria is Email to find out. There is also a good wind tunnel test comparing the Vision Tech to several other aero bars. Costs a few dollars for the result but well worth it IMO. One of the $$$ bars tested is actually quite slow, but not the VisionTech. I imagine a more than a few trigeeks have shelled out for the slow bar without realizing it. Also a great test comparing a CH Aero disc cover against a Zipp disc as well as a bunch of other good stuff.

http://www.biketechreview.com/tournaments/index.htm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jared - likely you would not be able to detect the aerodynamic differences between a HED3, 404 or 808, racing in the read world.

Same to be said for aero integrated bars.

Go with what you believe will fit you the best, make you the most confident in it's strength, and with the most comfortable model. Carbon dampens road vibration better than aluminum, one reason to go with a carbon aerobar. Same thought with a carbon steerer, and aero wheels.

To put it to you this way, I just did three 10 mile TT's in three weeks (or so). Two on my road bike, the final on my TT bike. Same average wattage and HR for all three events, although the last was a little windy:

(note that I am slow right now so dont laugh)

1. Road bike/road posistion, no aerobars, box rim wheels = 24:53 minutes

2. TT bike, aerobars, flat position, disc/trispoke = 23:53 minutes

So you can see, from un-aero to full-on-aero, for me, was worth one minute over 10 miles.

THe HED bar is pretty aero, and has been tested and was designed ny John Cobb in the wind tunnel, and it also won the 2003 World TT Championships as well as some other races. I'ts a pretty good choice, and cheaper than the Bontrager I think.
Quote Reply
Re: 808 aeroness and other techie ramblings [Gary Tingley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whoa....can we have the old gary back? where did you lock him up?

"Anyone can work hard when they want to; Champions do it when they don't."
Quote Reply
Re: 808 aeroness and other techie ramblings [Gary Tingley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well stated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you carry a wallet while you race, you should go faster with the more expensive wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: 808 aeroness and other techie ramblings [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cool, thanks

confirms my suspicions. I have paid a couple of times to get into willets site. cool site, but I get tired of paying a few bucks every other month only to have my password expire. oh well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The new Bontrager bar is nothing special. They dumbed it down from the version that USPS used in the tour. Looks more like a prifile carbon x.
Quote Reply