Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

808's vs bonty aeolus 7/9
Quote | Reply
Firstly, i have the 2014 circa aeolus 7/9 and i love them bar one issue. They brake horribly. The cork pads are a joke and i have just ordered some black prince pads to see what they can do. Around here our tri's can be quite technical and braking is unfortunately a necessity. I am familiar with the 808's firecrest and the braking on them is leaps and bounds better....but im hesitant to sell the bonts and get zipps. Aerodynamically am i losing out here from the 7/9 combo? Assuming the black prince pads may not be great, i wont know yet. I feel as though its just a sideways move, but i thought id ask if anyone has seen any data on 808's vs the first D3 gen bontys. I prefer the dt swiss hubs on the bonts, however zipps can be had on closeout here new with warranty. Bike is a current gen speed concept.
Quote Reply
Re: 808's vs bonty aeolus 7/9 [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can find the aerodynamic info in the Trek D3 whitepaper from way back when. With that being said, I had a set of D3s and they do brake horribly so I know what you mean. It is hard for me to recommend any carbon wheel at this point after riding the HED JET+ Black especially on the front. You honestly don't need the amount of power a HED JET+ Black delivers on the rear. The regular aluminum HED JET+ (ie. the non-blacks) also provide tremendous braking power, are 21mm wide internally, can be ran tubeless, provide more comfort, better handling, and are extremely aero and pocketbook friendly. The prices for a set of 6s varies but right now $1100 new and pair with a disc cover or just get a disc. Probably far more cost effective than the Zipp although I don't know about those closeout prices.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: 808's vs bonty aeolus 7/9 [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for that Thomas, i hadnt thought about the HED, its the carbon snob in me. 808's here in AUS are down to $2500 aud....heds je black are actually similar in price at the moment. I think its beacuse zipp just updated its firecrest line with the shark fin like brake track etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm also a Speed Concept owner and have also owned a pair of Aeolus D3s (7 front and rear). The braking is abysmal at best and dangerous in the wet. The Jet Blacks are worlds better. They're worlds better than the Zipp's too. Here's the way I look at it: if the extra braking power bails you out of a bad situation just one time they've more than paid for and justified themselves. Aerodynamically there won't be a measurable difference.
Quote Reply
Re: 808's vs bonty aeolus 7/9 [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just a small update

The black prince pads are a bit better for the aeolus wheels than cork. The 808's with zipp pads seem to brake better still buy a little bit. I have no HED dealer near me so havent tried them yet.
Circa 2013/4 aeolus wheels, 7 front rear 9, aerodynamically much different to 808's? The white paper link didnt work. Its bontragers first line of D3's. DT swiss hubs and spokes seem to be better than zipps. Im thinking the difference is too small to change and worry about? Id be out a few dollars to sell the bontys and buy new 808's for something new and shiny, wont make me faster and only brakes a touch better? Wish we had HEDS close by.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aerodynamically there won’t be a meaningful difference between the two. If the black prince pads make the braking sufficient then just stick with the Bontrager wheels. Yes, the DT Swiss hubs are solid and, interestingly, the Bontrager rims are also crazy strong. When they first came out I saw a video of their destructive testing and it was insane how much abuse those rims could take. Wish I had saved it.
Quote Reply
Re: 808's vs bonty aeolus 7/9 [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the new XXX bontys have the improved braking surface FWIW- but I am still rolling the last gens
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Bonty's and a speed concept 1.0 for tris. The bike is fast, but braking is crap. I don't know if its wheels, pads or brakes, but the lack of braking power leads to tentative riding. But I love, love, love my hed Jet 6+ on my road bike. they. I've been know to swap wheels when I want braking. After reading about the Jet 9 Blacks I'm tempted to upgrade prior next season.

Brian
“Eat and Drink, spin the legs and you’re going to effin push (today).” A Howe
Quote Reply
Re: 808's vs bonty aeolus 7/9 [TriBri00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jet Blacks are the truth. Huge upgrade in braking especially in the wet.
Quote Reply