Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

70.3 nutrition
Quote | Reply
Looking for some help here. I seem to not be finding the formula that works for me. I am going to give some bullet points that may help you advise me on this for my upcoming 70.3. I bonked in Raleigh on the last 3-4 miles of the run and I pride myself on being a runner. I certainly didn't over bike as I had an FTP of 217 at the time and put out 160 average that day.

Anyway, here goes:

• I am a heavy, heavy sweater...but I am not sure what my exact sweat rate is
  • Too much caffeine makes me have to take a poo
  • I weigh 155lbs @ 5'10"
  • I don't do well with whey based products

I went 5:13 in Raleigh and would really like to go under 5 this time around.

let me know if there are any other data points that would be helpful.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 nutrition [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What did you use at Raleigh? That may help folks give you some recommendations.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My starting point for 70.3 is 2 calories per hour per pound of lean body mass and I do it in all liquid/gel form. So if you weight 155 pounds and say are 15% body fat (just making that up) that is 155*(1-.15) = 131.75 pounds of lean body mass (call is 132). then 132*2 cal per hour is 264 cal per hour. I pack my bike and run nutrition based on my projected time and add a little extra just in case. so if you're gonna be 2:30 on the bike, you'll need 660 calories but I'd pack a clean 700 (gels are typically 100 per so makes it easy). Now for the run I typically under pack the calories assuming I can deplete the well in the last 30-45 min, but that's up to you.

For salt, I am also a heavy sweater and I am not actually sure if it's even possible to over salt? (I am sure ST gods will correct me if I am wrong). I put down one salt stick per hour on the bike +Nuun, and 1 about 45 min into the run and again I deplete the well for the finish.

You do not need protein in a 70.3. You're going to be burning all carbs(sugar) and fat. Any whey product will skunk in a bottle too if it gets hot. I never take protein in a race and I advise all my athletes against it. You're body can't/won't/doesn't need to process it.

I don't have a problem with caffeine, in fact I don't get out of bed for less than a pot of coffee. Obviously you do though, so know the limit and stay well below it.

Balance all this out with water. You're body is transferring blood out of your stomach so you'll want/need water in the stomach to dilute calories and salt. I empty all my gels into a water bottle and fill it with water, this makes it easier to drink and liquifies them. Then I take sips consistently through the race on my calories vs just cramming a bunch of calories at once.

Hope it helps.

Superfly Coaching
http://www.superflycoaching.com/eric

IL PIRATA VI GUARDA
Last edited by: turneej: Sep 13, 18 18:01
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 nutrition [turneej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That helps a lot, thank you!

Body fat is 7%.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Then it becomes 155*(1-.07) = 144 * 2cal/hour = 288 cal per hour. Again, this is my starting point and I adjust on the fly based on how I am feeling. I think the most important part is the dilution of gels that I take in slowly over the course of the race. Sips here and there make it easier on my stomach.

Happy hunting.

Superfly Coaching

IL PIRATA VI GUARDA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did WAY less than that in Raleigh and I skipped aid stations on the run. It was hot as balls there...not smart.

But coming in at 5:13 as a total newbie was heartening.

I am going to use your advice and see how it goes. I don't want to have a sloshy stomach.

I am going to:

• eat two ramen soups in the morning.
  • JellyBelly Sports Beans before the swim with maybe a GU added
  • fill my BTA system with gatorade
  • behind the saddle bottle with the gels (Blackberry GU packets 7X with water)
  • downtime bottle with gatorade in case I lose my behind the seat bottle...at least it will be something right!?
  • Bring one gel pack for the run and use on course nutrition

Should I add a salt stick product? If so, which one do you use?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just make sure you're getting plenty of plain water. Gatorade has a lot of calories, so if you have 700 in the gel bottles and you add gatorade on top of that you might be going way overboard. Typically I go nuun (calorie free) BTA, nutrition bottle behind the seat and plain water bottle behind the seat. It lets me drink the plain water and swap it at aid stations and refill the BTA and drop a new nuun tab in it easily from my bento box between the legs. If I want a taste of something different I pull gatorade from the aid station and take a swig or two and toss it

Superfly Coaching

IL PIRATA VI GUARDA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have subbed gatorade for my nuun before, but I cut the gatorade in half with water and counted the calories toward my calorie intake. Something about that cucumber gatorade in a race that was quite nice.

Superfly Coaching

IL PIRATA VI GUARDA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I've got a 70.3 coming up as well, Atlantic City. Have done it twice, 2016 I went 8:04:08. 2017 I went 7:26:16. This will be my third time and I'm hoping to break 7 hours. I'm 5'5", weigh 225 with an FTP of 204. So I'm quite a bit heavier, shorter and slower than you :)

I'm mostly using EFS First Endurance Products as I too and a very heavy sweater. End of a 40 mile group ride and I'm caked in dry salt. Also very prone to cramping which I am working on through magnesium supplements and using EFS which has a shit ton more electrolytes than gatorade.

I've been trying to dial in my nutrition for years it seems and here is where I am at for race day:

Nutrition:

Breakfast
-Shakeology w/ 1 scoop of karbolyn (50 g of carbs)
-Can of Cold Brew Coffee

Pre Swim
-1 Bottle (2 scoops of EFS (48 g carbs, 192 calories) with an added 1/2 scoop of karbolyn (25 g carbs, 100 cal) with an added 1/2 scoop of EFS Pre Race. Total = 73 g carbs, 292 cal)

Bike
-SpeedFil (40 oz) (3 scoops of EFS (72 g carbs, 288 calories) with an added 1/2 scoop of karbolyn (25 g carbs, 100 cal), with an added 1/2 scoop of Pre Race. Total = 97 g carbs, 388 cal)
-2 x Bottle BHS (behind seat)(1.5 scoops of EFS (36 g carbs, 144 calories) with an added 1/2 scoop of karbolyn (25 carbs, 100 cal) with an added 1/2 scoop of Pre Race. Total per bottle = 61 g carbs, 244 cal)
-Flask of First Endurance Gel (sipped on during bike and run)

Run
-Flask of First Endurance Gel (continued from Bike)
-Handheld bottle (11 oz w/ EFS mix)
-Vial of EFS Mix powder
-On Course Stuff - water, red bull, etc.

---------------------------------------------------------------
My other car is a Felt. DFL>DNF>DNS.

"There will come a day you won't be able to do this, today is not that day."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turneej wrote:
For salt, I am also a heavy sweater and I am not actually sure if it's even possible to over salt? (I am sure ST gods will correct me if I am wrong). I put down one salt stick per hour on the bike +Nuun, and 1 about 45 min into the run and again I deplete the well for the finish.

I had horrible leg cramps off the bike in Augusta yesterday. I'm pretty sure it's a lack of sodium. I thought that what I had planned was enough. I took in 4 Nuun tabs in 80oz (4x 20oz bottles each with a tab) during the bike. But sounds like I should be downing some additional salt intake? I have a problem stomaching anything but water during the run, which probably makes a bad situation worse by just diluting whatever was left, so I've got to get in whatever I'm gonna have by the end of the bike. I was well trained for this race and hit my swim pace and bike power goals on the dot (NP was 67% of FTP), so it's not like I crushed it. I have aspirations of doing a 140.6 next year, but I'm not able to sign up for one if i can't get this 70.3 bike nutrition figured out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Test your sweat rate and know what it is.
This will help you set your run up on the bike by getting into T2 around 1 to 2% dehydrated.

If you fueled well on the bike (you should be able to digest riding at 160 to 217 FTP), you might not have hydrated well enough.

You can eat all you want, but if you are dehydrated, your blood thickens and does not work to help your stomach digest any foods. You also need that water in the gut to aid digestion.

Personally I get enough calories, I end up with stomach issues from poor hydration management. Light headed, bloated stomach... sucks when you know your legs are fine.

Also take a look at nutrition and hydration the days before, morning of and during the bike. That can affect your race as well.

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think everyone bonked at Raleigh. I was 2 weeks off of a 4:21 split and I walked a good portion on the second lap to go 4:50. 5:13 at Raleigh is like a 4:50 anywhere else. lol I hate, but love hard courses. You definitely don't get cheated.

But, lots of good info above.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 nutrition [TriathlonJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriathlonJoe wrote:
I think everyone bonked at Raleigh. I was 2 weeks off of a 4:21 split and I walked a good portion on the second lap to go 4:50. 5:13 at Raleigh is like a 4:50 anywhere else. lol I hate, but love hard courses. You definitely don't get cheated.

But, lots of good info above.

Dude...no joke...I just did 4:49:51 yesterday...on a much easier course.

I followed Misha's nutrition advice...worked very well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great race. That weather was brutal yesterday, but hey that's Augusta for you. What were your thoughts on the bike course?

I was the dude with the megaphone heckling people yesterday on the run. So much fun watching you guys. I won't lie though, I definitely wanted to be out there competing. Got another fish to fry tho this weekend in Choo.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 nutrition [TriathlonJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriathlonJoe wrote:
Great race. That weather was brutal yesterday, but hey that's Augusta for you. What were your thoughts on the bike course?

I was the dude with the megaphone heckling people yesterday on the run. So much fun watching you guys. I won't lie though, I definitely wanted to be out there competing. Got another fish to fry tho this weekend in Choo.

I was actually at AC 70.3, which I am assuming was much easier than Raleigh.

Good luck in Choo...I really want to do that swim :) and bike.
Quote Reply