Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

70.3 in 10 weeks possible?
Quote | Reply
I’ve been “inconsistently” training for the last few months and registered for 70.3. WI (Male 49)

Training background last year-Inconsistent-Some weeks 10 hrs and some weeks 3-4 hrs.
Tri career: 10 years tri experience (mainly sprints and few Oly). No races in last 5 years but did some swim/bike/run training and last race a 5K race in 2022 (19'50).

Few Stats:
Swim: average 1:30 scy base
Bike: can ave 175-180w for 1hr (21.4mph) (30 min test 200w)
Run: recent 5K 21'50 (off of the bike and only a few runs)
I know it won't be my best/potential but trying to see the positives of training even though I probably won't reach my potential with the limited time.

What can I gain from training? experience, new training strategies What should be my expectations and best approach to training for the final 10 weeks?

Am I rushing it ?

DP
Last edited by: hhtdp0: Jul 2, 23 4:12
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 in 10 weeks possible? [hhtdp0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe you're rushing it a bit but your base/PRs set you up to have a good day with a strong 10 week training block. I would just focus on finding consistency since that's what you outlined as a challenge -- do at least 8-10 hours/week, and up to 12-13 in peak weeks. I would say that it would be a mistake to rush into volume higher than that in 10 weeks. You want to get in some good training but you also want to get to the start line healthy. If you can swim 1:30/100y comfortably enough then keep that rolling. If 21:50 was close to all-out off the bike then 1:40ish would be the half marathon target. 1:35 is possible based on your open 5k. You've done plenty of Sprint/Olympic races so structure your workouts for the 70.3 distance. Specificity matters. Instead of a run workout that might be 5 x 1k @ 5k pace, do 10 x 1k @ T on short rest. Instead of 1:00-5:00 reps on the bike @ VO2, do 10:00-20:00 reps @ 70.3/140.6. Instead of 8-12 x 100 in the pool, do 15-20 x 100 @ T on short rest. You get the picture. Just stacking consistent sessions, at or just under 70.3 race pace, will put you in a good spot. Build up to 2.5-3 hours on the long ride & do 3ish brick sessions where maybe you progress and do 30/45/60min of easy running during the build. Mix in some 70.3 pace in the long rides, maybe doing it with those brick sessions (up to 90:00 @ 70.3 -- progress 3x30:00, 2x45:00, 90:00).
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 in 10 weeks possible? [hhtdp0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't have to go past the thread title to answer YES.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 in 10 weeks possible? [dcpinsonn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wow, appreciate the time and thoughtful analysis and reply. Will refer to your trainining advice as reference throughout the process.

I struggle with the mindset of racing knowing it's not my physical potential (err). But training is more psychological than physical for me. As we know, if there is hope and belief we take action. I need to see the journey as the goal and not the outcome as I suffer with perfectionism mentality. I'm thankful for the slowtwitch community.
Last edited by: hhtdp0: Jul 2, 23 4:53
Quote Reply