Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
70.3 World Championships Nice - who is in?
Quote | Reply
Who is in?

Will travel by car this Sunday from Germany. 7:08 AM start (M40). Will most likely be one of the first age groupers on the bike and will then have to let a lot of athletes pass me on the bike, i.e. no ambitions for podium or even top10. Curious to see the pro men battling for the win while being on the run course myself. And already thinking about a nice bite of baguette and a good glass of champagne for after the race ;-)

If someone should be interested to join - I will do a recon ride on Wednesday early morning.

And if that question should come up: I will race on a road bike with clip-on bars and expect a non-wetsuit swim.
Last edited by: motorcity: Aug 27, 19 6:15
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 World Championships Nice - who is in? [motorcity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife and I were also planning on doing a recon ride on Wednesday morning. We're planning on taking it easy, maybe you can pick a time and meeting spot for Slowtwitchers to meet for the ride? FYI, I'm also M40-44 and will be super happy to finish in top 100 in age group. Hoping for wetsuit.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 World Championships Nice - who is in? [chbelair] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chbelair wrote:
...maybe you can pick a time and meeting spot for Slowtwitchers to meet for the ride?

Let me see the logistics (traffic, sunrise, weather etc.) once I will be there (will come with my wife and young kids). Roughly, I have in mind to start around 6:30am at where T1 will be. I will update beginning of next week...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in. Not arriving until Thursday AM though, and have to be on a flight back to the US on Monday AM. I have no intentions of attempting to be competitive. I am planning on just enjoying the experience.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 World Championships Nice - who is in? [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
g_lev wrote:
I am planning on just enjoying the experience.

You certainly will. The course looks awesome from what I can tell so far. And I have been in Nice a few years ago (not racing) and it is simply a beautiful place to be.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 World Championships Nice - who is in? [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
g_lev wrote:
I'm in. Not arriving until Thursday AM though, and have to be on a flight back to the US on Monday AM. I have no intentions of attempting to be competitive. I am planning on just enjoying the experience.

I'm not arriving until Wed morning. I know I'll be super jet-lagged having raced in Europe previously. But I don't plan on being remotely competitive either. I'm going for the experience (and wine!). I'm still a bit tired from IM Whistler. That course was no joke! We will have 4 days after my race to enjoy Nice and surrounding area. Can't wait for that. Looking forward to the race as well. I love the women only races (no offense guys) :-)

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Last edited by: 70Trigirl: Aug 27, 19 7:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will be arriving this Saturday - if anyone is there and interested in doing a recon ride on Sunday - let me know.

IG: NCGregory8778
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Arriving Tuesday morning from Canada. M35. Just looking to enjoy myself and aiming for top 50% in age group. My dad's also racing but he's got to defend his 70.3 World Championship win last year, M65-69, so the AirBNB won't be completely all fun and games haha.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 World Championships Nice - who is in? [mstewarttri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mstewarttri wrote:
Arriving Tuesday morning from Canada. M35. Just looking to enjoy myself and aiming for top 50% in age group. My dad's also racing but he's got to defend his 70.3 World Championship win last year, M65-69, so the AirBNB won't be completely all fun and games haha.

Will your dad be catching you? ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about your bike choice? TT or Road?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
motorcity wrote:
mstewarttri wrote:

Will your dad be catching you? ;-)

I sure hope not haha. I have raced him twice now. First time, Indian Wells (also my first triathlon, but with some decent training) I narrowly beat him by 9 mins, he had a faster bike split than me, too close for comfort haha. Second time, Victoria (where I qualified for Nice) I had a solid 35 mins on him. Always a good time though!

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We arrive Thursday evening! I wish I had taken more time off but with a change in employment and IMAZ later in the season, just could not get the time off. Not planning on being competitive, going to have fun, enjoy the course and what the day brings. If anyone has recommendations for great dinner spots, let me know. Also, going to propose to my girlfriend while we are there, so any thoughts on a nice romantic spot or restuarant would be appreciated!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
anywhole planning on riding a rear disc (super-9)... or opting for shallower lightwer wheels?
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 World Championships Nice - who is in? [HudsonTriBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SpeedConcept with Zipp Super-9 disc will be my choice. On a good day I would hope for a podium result in M35, but all my focus is on Kona this year, so with a lot of training going in to Nice it can go either ways in this race. But looking forward to a great race, the descents and hopefully a fast run:-)

Instagram and Strava: @lpstormo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be there, also M40. Just hoping for a good race - not predicting where I will place! Best bike split predicts I'll ride the course in 2:51 (!!!) and then I'd love a sub 1:30 run, If I've paced the bike well. Swim times in the past have been pretty slow - I think because of waves. I'm also predicting no wetsuits.

I'll be on a Felt IA3 with a Roval CLX64 in the front and a Hed jet disc plus in the rear.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 World Championships Nice - who is in? [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
I'll be there, also M40. Just hoping for a good race - not predicting where I will place! Best bike split predicts I'll ride the course in 2:51 (!!!) and then I'd love a sub 1:30 run, If I've paced the bike well. Swim times in the past have been pretty slow - I think because of waves. I'm also predicting no wetsuits.

I'll be on a Felt IA3 with a Roval CLX64 in the front and a Hed jet disc plus in the rear.

With that, we should finish somewhere similar ... I might be swimming faster but cycling slower, with about the same run. See you at T2, let's run together ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
motorcity wrote:
RowToTri wrote:

With that, we should finish somewhere similar ... I might be swimming faster but cycling slower, with about the same run. See you at T2, let's run together ;-)

Sounds like a plan.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am in. Arrive Wednesday afternoon. Very excited...the venue looks awesome. I am predicting a wetsuit race. The temp lows drop considerably the last 5 days and won't take much to knock the water down a few degrees.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Coming from Canada.
Riding Monday am full course and Wednesday am full course. (not hard of course)
Riding a Cervelo p3 tri setup.
Wetsuit or no wetsuit, don't care as long as the water is warm.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 World Championships Nice - who is in? [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Race question - In the athlete guide it says "You must wear your bib number during the bike and run portion of the race and it must be attached by 3 points. In addition, your bike frame sticker must be properly attached to your bike frame and must be visible from both sides"

I've never had to race with the bib number on the bike before. I typically just have it attached to my race belt to put on in T2. How do you typically put it on in T1? And attached by 3 points? What does that mean exactly in regards to a race belt? I typically have it attached only on the top of the bib.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's common in european races to have to wear the number on the bike. I do not remember ever seeing the 3 points thing before, but usually in addition to the two points of connection on the race belt, I tape it to the belt in the middle to keep it from poking up there and catching wind.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Old days of racing you would just put your race belt on after the swim an use it the whole Bike and run. Just like on the run. 3 points?

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In!
Guessing non-wetsuit.
Will be a slow race / enjoy the scenes day for me (last wave- men) so I won’t hold anyone back.
Using a disc (may regret that but I’m a lightweight).
Would be in for a ride Wed. (9/4) but it would need to be later (after 2 pm ?) in day as that’s when I get in and would need to get bike together, etc...
Send out meeting place / time and if I can make it ...... great (but I will be taking it E.A.S.Y.)
Guess that’s it.
Safe travels all!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Coming in Thursday afternoon. StartingDFL
45-49. Setting up the road bike w extensions, Torhans aero30 in front. Aero btl on downtube and a Bts. I wanted disc brakes as I feel there will be a lot of congestion on the downhill with the late start. Tri bike if I started in the first 45min.

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mstewarttri wrote:
Race question - In the athlete guide it says "You must wear your bib number during the bike and run portion of the race and it must be attached by 3 points. In addition, your bike frame sticker must be properly attached to your bike frame and must be visible from both sides"

I've never had to race with the bib number on the bike before. I typically just have it attached to my race belt to put on in T2. How do you typically put it on in T1? And attached by 3 points? What does that mean exactly in regards to a race belt? I typically have it attached only on the top of the bib.

I saw that too and was quite confused. It's normal in Europe to wear your bib while on the bike. At Challenge Roth this year I put it on a number belt and put it on in T1, with the bib sitting on my back. Then in T2 just turned it around. But this "attached by 3 points" thing confuses me.
Quote Reply

Prev Next