Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

70.3 Puerto Rico vs 70.3 galveston
Quote | Reply
I’m looking at these for an early season race. I’ve checked out the website and googled both. What should I know about these races? I feel like I’m missing something. My thoughts are below I’m leaning toward Galveston.

PR is interesting bc no wetsuit, and tougher run plus it’s a nicer vacation spot. Negative is a couple less training weeks and could seem really hot coming from a place with winter. Oddly small field last year.

Galveston seems like the standard coastal tri; similar to AC and Eagleman. A known quantity. But the location seems meh.

Travel for PR fits the fam schedule better but they both work fine.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Puerto Rico vs 70.3 galveston [Tri.Tony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven’t done PR, but happened to have been there on vacation when it was going on one year. It’s 100% on my list of races to do.

I also haven’t done Galveston, but have been there enough times to feel very “meh” about racing there.

--------------------------------------------------------

It seemed like a good idea at the time. . .
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Puerto Rico vs 70.3 galveston [type-B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What are the conditions like that time of year? Is it super humid?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done both. PR swim is in a protected bay with clear water, probably one of my favorite swims. Galveston is murky, also protected bay, but was pretty choppy the year I did it. PR has a LONG run to T1, a lot of people put shoes at the swim exit.

Galveston bike is pancake flat, but notoriously windy. Usually a headwind on the return trip which can make for a long trip back. The year I did it I was just under an hour to the halfway point, and 30min slower on the return pushing higher power. PR is an out and back that you loop twice once out of town. Only elevation gain is getting on and off the highway. Don't remember wind being a huge factor, mix of riding along the coast and inland. Lots of iguana road kill to watch out for!

PR run can be absolutely brutal. It's exposed, hot and humid, and has some pretty decent hills that you hit multiple times. Galveston run is flat, but has 3 u-turns that you hit 3x each, which makes it tough to get into a good rhythm. The 3 loops and winding nature of the course makes TX arguably the most spectator friendly run course out there. Weather can be pretty much anything from cool and stormy to hot and humid.

Overall, I'd pick PR every time if I wasn't factoring in travel logistics. It's a much more interesting location in my opinion and you can make a vacation out of it. I wouldn't worry about it being a few weeks earlier if you're consistent with training. Heat acclimation in the few weeks before will go a long way in making it more enjoyable even coming from a cold climate.
Last edited by: cp10: Oct 6, 23 17:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
*If* you care, the PR race doesn't count toward USAT rankings, just fyi. Great race though!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never done PR. I'd never travel to Galveston again. If it was in my neighborhood, it would be on my list. But if you're picking a race to travel to, PR would be better. Oceanside is usually similar time though right? That's also a good one.

Galveston bike is kind of boring but pretty fast. The road is nice, the view is nice for like 1 minute. The run is like a million turns. It's a slog. Not fun. The swim is decent. Staying in the race hotel is great though, since it's just a walk to the start.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Puerto Rico vs 70.3 galveston [Lurker4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lurker4 wrote:
Never done PR. I'd never travel to Galveston again. If it was in my neighborhood, it would be on my list. But if you're picking a race to travel to, PR would be better. Oceanside is usually similar time though right? That's also a good one.

Galveston bike is kind of boring but pretty fast. The road is nice, the view is nice for like 1 minute. The run is like a million turns. It's a slog. Not fun. The swim is decent. Staying in the race hotel is great though, since it's just a walk to the start.

I’ve done both. Puerto Rico was a pretty cool event with a run through a historic area. Galveston is a course to pursue a PR, but I don’t think it has any other deeming qualities. I particularly disliked the run, which is very contrived. I’d personally only consider doing Puerto Rico again, Galveston isn’t a nice place to visit IMO.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Puerto Rico vs 70.3 galveston [BigChainRing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigChainRing wrote:
*If* you care, the PR race doesn't count toward USAT rankings, just fyi. Great race though!

It might - do 70.3 results go toward invites to AG nationals?
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Puerto Rico vs 70.3 galveston [cp10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cp10 wrote:
I've done both. PR swim is in a protected bay with clear water, probably one of my favorite swims. Galveston is murky, also protected bay, but was pretty choppy the year I did it. PR has a LONG run to T1, a lot of people put shoes at the swim exit.

Galveston bike is pancake flat, but notoriously windy. Usually a headwind on the return trip which can make for a long trip back. The year I did it I was just under an hour to the halfway point, and 30min slower on the return pushing higher power. PR is an out and back that you loop twice once out of town. Only elevation gain is getting on and off the highway. Don't remember wind being a huge factor, mix of riding along the coast and inland. Lots of iguana road kill to watch out for!

PR run can be absolutely brutal. It's exposed, hot and humid, and has some pretty decent hills that you hit multiple times. Galveston run is flat, but has 3 u-turns that you hit 3x each, which makes it tough to get into a good rhythm. The 3 loops and winding nature of the course makes TX arguably the most spectator friendly run course out there. Weather can be pretty much anything from cool and stormy to hot and humid.

Overall, I'd pick PR every time if I wasn't factoring in travel logistics. It's a much more interesting location in my opinion and you can make a vacation out of it. I wouldn't worry about it being a few weeks earlier if you're consistent with training. Heat acclimation in the few weeks before will go a long way in making it more enjoyable even coming from a cold climate.

Is the highway closed in PR or is it like the AC tri where you are riding in a “closed” lane on an active highway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't remember since it was awhile ago, but I don't recall feeling sketched out at all if it was just a blocked lane. The highway portion is really just to get in and out of town, and then you're on a more rural road for the looped portion. I remember feeling more sketched out on the Galveston course with pickup trucks buzzing by and people trying to get in and out of their beach homes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done both Puerto Rico is a more challenging course. The swim is nice clear water, there is a little current. The bike has wind but so does Galveston. the run is hilly and feels REALLY hot especially as you are likely to have zero heat acclimatization. Galzeston is a fun race too, flat bike course, run multiple loops but flat. I've done GAlveston twice I think and the heat wasn't bad.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Puerto Rico vs 70.3 galveston [kell0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kell0 wrote:
I've done both Puerto Rico is a more challenging course. The swim is nice clear water, there is a little current. The bike has wind but so does Galveston. the run is hilly and feels REALLY hot especially as you are likely to have zero heat acclimatization. Galzeston is a fun race too, flat bike course, run multiple loops but flat. I've done GAlveston twice I think and the heat wasn't bad.

I have done Galveston twice by it was 2011 and 2014. Not sure how much the run has changed but from what I understand swim is in the same body of water and bike is same course. I did not really find the swim that exciting. Not bad, a bit choppy, but fast because the times I did it, you were in salt water with wetsuit!!! The bike was just a steady wind on the way back both years. It felt like riding on my trainer (which is what I used to prepare coming from Canada). I did not feel particularly hot.

I never raced Puerto Rico (YET), but have raced St. Croix 5 times. The water in the region is realy saline and buoyant (so that helps the non wetsuit swim), and on the run in St. Croix, it felt like being wrapped in a personal sauna the entire time....generally my half IM runs in St. Croix were 5-10 min slower than more temperate by equivalently hilly races.

Personally if I do a half IM that time of year, in that part of the world I want to give Puerto Rico a go. But i am signed up for St. George next May, so can't afford the vacation time away for two trips!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmm-not sure on that....may want to email USAT directly to find out...my guess is it wouldnt if it doesn't go towards rankings though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[Is the highway closed in PR or is it like the AC tri where you are riding in a “closed” lane on an active highway.[/quote]

The bike course is a closed course except for the opening miles to get you out of town but those were well protected and that time of day hardly any traffic. Closed course was fantastic.

-PR 70.3 was fantastic. Very easy to get from airport to hotel with your bike. We didn't need a rental car. Quick uber ride into Old Town for wonderful restaurants.
-Easy logistics to and from hotel to transition and easy walk to swim start.
-It was a smaller race last year, but really well organized.
-Very small expo but venue is stunningly beautiful.
-Nothing to add to what people said about the swim. Protected lagoon and under a bridge toward the end with some currents but not crazy.
-I was surprised how flat the bike was. . a few rollers in and out of town. Roads in excellent condition for the most part. On the way out is a very sharp bridge lip that they didn't mark and should have, but other than that, bike was great. Some awesome ocean views in a few spots on the bike as well.
-Train on lots of hills for the run. They changed the run course in 2022 because of sand over the far reaches of the course, but it was like running through a big party the entire time. Ton of spectator support, music. Coming over the last hill with stunning ocean waves is a great way to finish.
-The whole vibe is a fun, party atmosphere. I think the director is also the guy on the microphone and he is super upbeat and fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PR is one of the best 70.3s in North America, but the run is very tough. I think it feels hotter than Kona being early in the year. the logistics of the race couldn't be easier and a great spot for a few day vacation. Highly recommend.
Last edited by: USCoregonian: Oct 11, 23 6:44
Quote Reply