Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
70.3 Indian Wells Swimming
Quote | Reply
I will be participating on the next 70.3 Indian Wells. I heard that the water will be pretty cold.

I am planning to buy a swim socks (In case it is legal) and a neoprene cap. Any recommendations?
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Indian Wells Swimming [rebiker17] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do your best to get in some kind of cold water the day or 2 days before the race. I can't recall if we were allowed to do a swim the day before last year (I don't think so), but cold water adaptation is apparently very real and I always feel way better on race morning having had the shock not long earlier. The water is by far the coldest 70.3 swim I've ever done though. Last year I'm fairly certain it was right on the border of being shortened but I'm really glad they kept it full length. I'm worried that with everything that's happened this year with swims they'll be quicker to shorten now but fingers crossed for the full thing.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Indian Wells Swimming [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last year the temp changed quite a bit in the last several days. That reservoir is so shallow that it can vary by 5-7 degrees in the last few days... I used neoprene socks and a neoprene cap and felt fine last year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you guys! I did the Hits Palms Springs last year on December 1st and the water was not that bad. But as mentioned before the water temperature changes drastically on that area.

Any swimming socks and neoprene cap model recommendation?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah it was like 57F and I think that was generous. I used a neoprene cap and was fine without gloves or booties. I did wear ear plugs. Those in sleeveless suits suffered for sure. Did some jumping, running to get HR up. No preswimming the day before (because of the chlorine dip thing). . Be sure you go through the Athlete Guide as with split transition and the chlorine dip the day before takes some time. I did try to really dry off before getting on bike. Pretty easy swim to sight. I like the course though did not have a good GI day. Run is definitely rolling across the golf course. Good support and fun venue. Have a good race!

I miss you "Sports Night"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Consider Emilio's "cap sandwich" for cold water: https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...%20sandwich#p5942064

...and definitely use earplugs. Cold water in the ear canal makes you feel much colder.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I did the oly there a few springs ago it was 58F (14.4c). It wasn't really that bad if you got in before you went off and did a short swim.
In reality with a wetsuit it was near perfect swim temps

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Indian Wells Swimming [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for that tip. I never considered how the ears could get cold.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Indian Wells Swimming [Quo Vadimus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quo Vadimus wrote:
Yeah it was like 57F and I think that was generous.

57.1 was quite generous, given that it came in just above the cutoff for a shortened swim. Water had been in low 50s the days before. I suspect it wasn't much warmer than 53/54. I know it sounds dumb and like 'yah, right, you couldn't possibly know' the difference, but we jump in the lakes here in wisconsin in the upper 50s. That didn't feel like water in the upper 50s. It was frickin cold.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Indian Wells Swimming [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
When I did the oly there a few springs ago it was 58F (14.4c). It wasn't really that bad if you got in before you went off and did a short swim.

Maybe to a polar bear. I’d died.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Indian Wells Swimming [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MadTownTRI wrote:
Quo Vadimus wrote:
Yeah it was like 57F and I think that was generous.

57.1 was quite generous, given that it came in just above the cutoff for a shortened swim. Water had been in low 50s the days before. I suspect it wasn't much warmer than 53/54. I know it sounds dumb and like 'yah, right, you couldn't possibly know' the difference, but we jump in the lakes here in wisconsin in the upper 50s. That didn't feel like water in the upper 50s. It was frickin cold.

Yeah, coldest water I have been in for a race.

I miss you "Sports Night"
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Indian Wells Swimming [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:
desert dude wrote:

Maybe to a polar bear. I’d died.

Agreed, by the half way point, my hands were doing the Verbal Kent and I had no pull.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Biggest thing for me last year was to take advantage of the "warm-up" they allow - get in, fully submerge, get your head and face wet, swim a few strokes, let yourself adapt (it will be cold), and then get out and line up towards the front. As you wait, jump around, do some arm circles, keep the heart rate somewhat elevated. When I got back in to start the swim, I felt no effects from the cold, and by the time I was about 100m in, I felt super comfortable. No ear plugs, booties, gloves, nothing. Just cap and goggles and full-sleeve suit. Good luck. It's a great venue - loved the course. Almost no food options for guests though so be prepared if bringing company.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't remember if I did a warm-up swim last year. If you can get in the water, do it! If not, bring a bottle of cold water to dump on your head before the start to get rid of the shock when entering the water. That usually helps me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did HITS there a few years ago and the water was 55*. That is the first and only race that I thought I might not be able to start...it was shockingly cold and literally made your face hurt. I had booties and neoprene cap. I definitely warmed up in the water as much as possible, but it still took a good 5 or 8 minutes to get used to it during the race. Keep in mind I'm a cold water wuss, but I'd recommend booties and cap. Why not? And definitely dry off well before the bike. I actually stuck my feet in a cooler full of hot water for a couple minutes. Oh, and I always wear earplugs.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Indian Wells Swimming [mattyboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you recommend using an extra long sleeve light jersey for the bike portion? probably it is going to be pretty chilly after the swim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rebiker17 wrote:
Do you recommend using an extra long sleeve light jersey for the bike portion? probably it is going to be pretty chilly after the swim.

Yes, although I can't remember the temp during my race...guessing 50s at the start as it was chilly the day before. Probably warmed up a bit, as I do remember it being sunny. I actually put on leg warmers and a tight, long sleeve warmish Roka jersey/jacket, and I was 100% perfect temp on the bike. Can't remember if I wore full finger gloves or not.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Indian Wells Swimming [mattyboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not even looked at temps yet. Every race I have done this year has been cold, guess the trend continues.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Indian Wells Swimming [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone know what water temp is now?

Is there a good spot to go swim Friday or Saturday thats similar water temps to race day?

Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Indian Wells Swimming [Toothengineer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Colder than a mother-in-laws kiss
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Indian Wells Swimming [Toothengineer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is somewhere between 56.5 (per the park services) and 57.3 (per Indian Wells Ironman)
Last edited by: PB252: Dec 4, 19 13:46
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Indian Wells Swimming [sjc166] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sjc166 wrote:
Colder than a mother-in-laws kiss

lol dying

Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Indian Wells Swimming [PB252] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Expect it to be just warm enough for a full swim per usat guidelines
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Indian Wells Swimming [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's about what it was last year.... if memory serves.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Indian Wells Swimming [PB252] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PB252 wrote:
It is somewhere between 56.5 (per the park services) and 57.3 (per Indian Wells Ironman)

in other words, too cold for me! Hope everyone has a good race though - love the venue (other than the water which I'm all too familiar with).
Quote Reply

Prev Next