Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

5 weeks between marathon and Ironman... is this feasible?
Quote | Reply
I am planning my 2024 race schedule and want to race the Chicago Marathon on Oct 13th, followed by Ironman Arizona on Nov 17th. Is this a feasible double? For those who have done something similar, did you feel recovered enough to perform at your peak in the 2nd event?

For fitness context I am targeting sub 2:40 and sub 10:00 on 11-14 hours per week of training (first time doing high volume training - I am already ramping up this fall). Last season I ran 4:39 IM 70.3, sub 16:00 5k, and 1:18 half marathon on approximately 5 hours training/week.
Last edited by: RunningScared: Oct 15, 23 9:35
Quote Reply
Re: 5 weeks between marathon and Ironman... is this feasible? [RunningScared] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the answer depends a lot on your fitness level and how you approach the marathon. With some more info on you, you may get help from those more knowledgeable than me. My .02:

If you could run a 2:40’s marathon but you go and run easyish 3:15-30you probably won’t be ruined for an im 5 weeks later. It basically too long of a long run.

On the other end of the spectrum if you are looking to complete both and not race either - it’s also possible.

As you get closer to the person in the middle of these two extreme examples, I think it gets harder to pull off.

Why not do one in the spring and the other in the fall?
Quote Reply
Re: 5 weeks between marathon and Ironman... is this feasible? [RunningScared] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have done it the other way around. Did Ironman Canada and took 3 weeks of not much and then banged out a 100km week in week 4 with almost all miles at target race pace and then took a 1 week taper.

I had my second best marathon of my life. Went 1:19+1:32 for a 2:51. Kind of blew up in the last 7km on account of being on a 3 week taper for IMC and then 3 week recovery so I had six weeks of light training other than the Ironman itself

I think the other way around is tough. I have done a spring marathon 4 times before IMLP 8 weeks out and always had shitty Ironmans. You just loose too much swim and bike prep if you want to run a fast marathon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It sounds from the numbers like you're a better runner than triathlete. How long has it taken you to recover from marathons in the past? The saving grace here is that got can take a few days off running afterwards and continue swimming and biking.

Plenty of pros turn around 70.3's and IM's to race a few weeks later. 5 weeks is a little awkward, it's not really long enough for another training block but too long to convince them into one peak.

How long do you normally taper for events? If you only need a 5 day taper it becomes pretty simple. If you need 3 weeks then you've got a problem.

14h/w is going to make it tough as well. If you did big volume your recover ability should be higher. 14 as a max also puts your marathon taper at a 7h week which is going to be detrimental to your IM training.

Ultimately you'll need to choose one A and one B event and prioritize from there.
Quote Reply