Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
51 speed shop arm cups
Quote | Reply
Anyone running these finding the pads slippery. I sweat a ton and last few rides here in North Carolina hot and humid conditions, I have found my arms slipping out of the cups a few times on rides. Anyone else have this issue
Quote Reply
Re: 51 speed shop arm cups [dl1340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dl1340 wrote:
Anyone running these finding the pads slippery. I sweat a ton and last few rides here in North Carolina hot and humid conditions, I have found my arms slipping out of the cups a few times on rides. Anyone else have this issue

I was looking at them seeing how I lost both aero pads at IMTX this year. Curious to hear if others have similar feedback.
Quote Reply
Re: 51 speed shop arm cups [wcb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I looked at them as well and from the looks of them what you are experiencing is what I thought would happen. they look to have no sweat absorption. They need some fabric on them i think.

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They are very comfortable and I didn't have an issue in the winter on the trainer, but now that summer as arrived, I find myself slipping more and more on these and wanted to see if others are having any issues
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes - same experience here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an email into them about something else going on with arm cups. If I can ever get them to call me back instead of email. I will ask them about this as well
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes. I sold mine because I did not feel safe on them. I live in south Florida and I sweat a ton. I rode on them in the winter (not nearly as hot but still warm) and I almost slipped off them a few times over a few bumps.

I like the cups (felt more secure) but I don’t like pads. If they changed the pads to have more texture and not as slippery, I’d buy them.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Response from 51 speedshop

While we have not experienced it firsthand, we have had a few customers discuss the "slipperiness" with us. What we have seen work for a few riders is that they revisit their fit a bit, to make sure that their shoulder to elbow angle gives them a better "kickstand effect", and this has drastically reduced slippage. Of course, the material will play a part no matter what in super humid weather like you have down there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What a disappointing response.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mat is a regular on this board and usually pipes in when there are fit discussions, as being a fitter is his primary gig (or has been)--he may be more focused on 51 SS products now I don't know. But if he does get on this board and answer, give him a chance--I'm sure he will listen to feedback and make future adjustments. He wants his products to succeed for obvious reasons. He may have someone taking emails and that may not be his actual response, but a canned one (again, I don't know if that is true).

That said, have you tried Cee Gee Cushies with his arm cups? I just installed some new ones on my 3T Brezza II bars (I know--old bars but I like them). They work great, are not slippery and good traction. We have had issues with my wife's Cee Gee pads TWICE where on the Oval Concepts replacement pads--the Cee Gee bottom layer just peels off and isn't sticking--separating from the actual pads.

I have not experienced the same issue yet with any of their pads for my bike. The response from Cee Gee was they had a glue problem with a few shipments. But try Cee Gee pads with 51 SS cups. That may be the fix you're looking for.
Quote Reply
Re: 51 speed shop arm cups [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the price of these arm cups. I don’t feel like spending anymore $$$ on other pads for this product. I asked for a call today to discuss this and another issue I had on this today and was told all warranty questions or info is thru email only. I have the aero bars and pads so that’s close to $300 spend and they can’t call a customer to discuss or answer questions, unreal
Last edited by: dl1340: Jun 19, 19 17:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same as all said here as well. I like the shape and size, decided to keep them but use 3mm textured neoprene as the pads now
https://www.etsy.com/...ting_top-1&frs=1
Last edited by: mike s: Jun 19, 19 19:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW I was talking to Nick at Tririg and he was just mentioning this as a feature to his arm pads, as in they are made of a layer of Neoprene and I believe that helps with the slickness of normal pads.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a big sweater, and just started using the 51 cups this year. In an effort to reduce my frontal area, I moved my cups closer together and the result is no slippage and I brought my shoulders in. I believe it's like the "kickstand effect" the 51 Speedshop owner is talking about. I feel like I'm locked in. Took a little getting used to the more aggressive position during training, but it's all for the better and my training and racing times show I'm clearly more aero.

No issues at a recent race either (Eagleman) where it rained and the pads got soaked. My only issue is on warm days when I sweat a lot the pads don't dry at all. They just stay wet. I bring a few sheets of paper towel with me now to dry them occasionally. Maybe a couple dozen of needle-thin perforations would help with air flow and drying these pads?

I'll take the Speedshop pads over Cee Gee's cushy pads which absorb al my sweat (and stink); twice had the fabric material separate from the pad; and the stack height is so high I'm sitting almost completely out of the arm cup on my 3T Auro Pro's and another set of Profile Design Aero Bars.
Quote Reply
Re: 51 speed shop arm cups [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love my Cee Gees. Very comfortable and I have not had slippage issues.
Quote Reply
Re: 51 speed shop arm cups [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's great that you found a "solution"--and likely improved your fit/speed while doing so. But, I'm sorry, changing your fit to address slippage in cup pads is not a solution to a real problem. Its a work-around. Hopefully, the company addresses the material of the cups (as well providing fit advice).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I went out last thursday morning at 6am for a ride. My workout had me doing intervals. I was on the last set of 3rd interval at about 250watts and about 21mph . My left arm slipped off the cup and I almost wrecked with cars behind me on a busy road. Going in for another fit or adjustment tomorrow and taking these off. Either will go back with Zipp that I took off or something else. 51speedshop, you really need to do something before someone gets hurt. These are not safe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dang glad you're okay.

Saw these concerns and went with the tririg ones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Replaced OEM pads on my Speed Concept Gen 2 back in January. Since then done 2 70.3's in the rain, about 3000 miles on the bike so far this year. never slipped, never felt like I was going to slip. Could not be happier with them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very slippery. I almost crashed the F out in Oceanside this year when going back into aero. Til this day I don't know how I manage to keep control of the bike after my left elbow slipped off the arm pad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Everyone-

Thanks for the feedback on the product. We take these concerns seriously and are always looking to improve.

While I've not received a lot of feedback on the product being slick, it's obvious from this thread that some customers are having issues here. This will be something we'll work to improve in the future iterations.

I don't directly monitor the customer service email, but feel free to private message me here if you have any questions or concerns.

Mat Steinmetz

51-SPEEDSHOP.com - instagram - @matsteinmetz - facebook
Quote Reply
Re: 51 speed shop arm cups [Mat Steinmetz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Live in Florida. When first had pads I felt slippery. Not unsafe but def slipping.

I haven’t had that recently. Possible residue from production?

I feel locked in and comfortable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
got email from 51speedshop, looks like they are going to take care of me on the arm cups. Thanks for the response 51 speedshop
Quote Reply
Re: 51 speed shop arm cups [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mike s wrote:
Same as all said here as well. I like the shape and size, decided to keep them but use 3mm textured neoprene as the pads now
https://www.etsy.com/...ting_top-1&frs=1

Just ordered one sheet from etsy to test this out. May just keep the 51speedshop cups, but dump the pads until they solve this issue.
Quote Reply
Re: 51 speed shop arm cups [Mat Steinmetz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mat Steinmetz wrote:
Hey Everyone-

Thanks for the feedback on the product. We take these concerns seriously and are always looking to improve.

While I've not received a lot of feedback on the product being slick, it's obvious from this thread that some customers are having issues here. This will be something we'll work to improve in the future iterations.

I don't directly monitor the customer service email, but feel free to private message me here if you have any questions or concerns.

if possible, also check if the outer side wing could be raised a little more.
Pass from a profile design arm race, to 51 speedshop, because it is longer, but I miss the support of the profile design a bit.
Anyway very good product
Quote Reply

Prev Next