Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 4x100 men [chainpin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
not a miracle.... Just the most stupid ever mistake from the last french swimmer and cost the gold medal.... the guy is gonna have a hard time sleeping tonight... he sure screw up by swimming next to the american lane rope and draging the american for 45m until the final sprint.... he had the win easy if swimming on the other side of the lane

Mistake or not, that was one of the best performances I have ever seen in the olympics, period!

Nor do I use punctuation in the way a child sprinkles glitter over a ribbon of glue on construction paper - Trash Talk
Quote Reply
Re: 4x100 men [hectorguatemala] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
can someone explain why the announcers said that phelps was being hurt by the aussie guy's wake but the anchor was being helped by the wake of the french loudmouth?
Quote Reply
Re: 4x100 men [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gotta love the french, smiling and happy as hell right now after getting their asses handed to them, kissing their medals and everything.

"I really wish you would post more often. You always have some good stuff to say. I copied it below just in case someone missed it." BarryP to Chainpin on 10/21/06

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't seen the race yet, but I do know that lezak's swim was 1.4 sec under the old wr (sullivan set a new one on the leadoff leg). Drafting or no that is one hell of a swim. Also, as it stands the LCM record is now faster then the SCM record the american B team set earlier this year. I'm really looking forward to watching NBC's "live" coverage here on the west coast (%&^# NBC).
Quote Reply
Re: 4x100 men [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a sweet spot you want to be in for drafting someone's wake. If you get behind that point you are encountering extra turbulence and water with airbubbles in it so you can't pull/kick as much water. The sweet spot basically allows you to ride the wave of the other person.
Quote Reply
Re: 4x100 men [ston_ar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thats too bad that you missed the most exciting 4mins in all of the olympics up to this point. well not 4 mints, but you get the point : ) 3:08.24

//semi retired - old school = http://www.iwilltri.com //
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well...there is a sweet spot for drafting beside someone but the two swimmer needs to be very close to each other hugging the rope... you will usualy only see that from a teamates swimming beside another teamates to pull him in high school swim meet! But the french guy decided otherwise and swim next to the american giving him a ''free ride'' for 45meters before getting his ASS KICK in the final meters!!!!!

As for the wake, well, if the swimmer is in the middle of his lane but ahead of you, you will only get his wake but not the draft.... that is annoying and can slow you down....

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: 4x100 men [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
well...there is a sweet spot for drafting beside someone but the two swimmer needs to be very close to each other hugging the rope... you will usualy only see that from a teamates swimming beside another teamates to pull him in high school swim meet! But the french guy decided otherwise and swim next to the american giving him a ''free ride'' for 45meters before getting his ASS KICK in the final meters!!!!!

As for the wake, well, if the swimmer is in the middle of his lane but ahead of you, you will only get his wake but not the draft.... that is annoying and can slow you down....

Even the announcers were saying the french guy tightened up at the end when viewing the slow motion underwater video, which to me, means he was fading. So, your assertion that the french would have won easily had he been on the other side of his lane is likely wrong.

"I really wish you would post more often. You always have some good stuff to say. I copied it below just in case someone missed it." BarryP to Chainpin on 10/21/06

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
maybe he should have been wearing compression socks to not fade

Quote Reply
Re: 4x100 men [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First I get to see that beast Cancellara rocket out of the chase group to medal and now this tops it all! I think my heartrate was as almost as high as if I were in the water! Now if Lezak could just teach poor Katie Hoff how to reach for the wall (speaking of unforgivable mistakes at this level).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The lane rope technology todays practically eliminates any wake between lanes. Back in the good old days, you could play that trick and draft off of people. You can probably still do it in small meets where pools use old lane ropes. However, these international meets use the latest and greatest. National and international meets used to use 3 lane ropes between each lane to cut down on the wakes that swimmers create. Now there is no need...

Hey, not being a cynic but it's obvious how much these new suits are impacting times, especially in the shorter events. Don't get me wrong, these swimmers are still incredible but these new suits are dropping times by large amounts. It's stated that you can expect 2% drops in times with the LZR suits. That's a second per 100m, which is huge! Where were these suits when I competed back in the 90's?! ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tightened up? Or choked? lol
Quote Reply
Re: 4x100 men [chazmp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
time to be back to au naturale racing.
Quote Reply
Re: 4x100 men [Uncle Phil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Tightened up? Or choked? lol
Good point, it's interesting that the underwater footage showed the french dude looking over--wonder what he was thinking at that moment. It was as if he knew he was not going to make it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i agree with you, he tighen up big time... he went really hard at the start...

and i dont want to take away anything from the amazing performance from the us team that kill the WR by 4 sec...

but the french guy still screw up,.......... you are right, it would not have been easy.

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: 4x100 men [Uncle Phil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

He has a history of tightening up on lap 2.........he went out in a 21.27

That is faster than the 50M fr WR, granteed that was a relay start,

but lezak showed he has become the MAN for the anchor, as he has for more than 4 years now.

Wow
Quote Reply
Re: 4x100 men [TomP_imc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well he was there again for a reason! Some guys just can get that job done...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi,

too late to go back to old swimsuits..........the playing field is pretty level, the speeds are awesome.

tp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Back in the day when I was competing at nationals and olympic trials, it was all about how small of a speedo that you could get into and not be lude about it. I was 6'3" 180 lbs and wearing a 26' suit! It's funny how things have changed to covering as much of your body as possible (now with more hydrophobic material). I think they should stay with the speedos. It just puts more money in Speedo's pockets and gives swimmers a false sense of getting faster. Just my opinion. Then again that would give women an advantage unless they banned non-lycra material...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hi,

too late to go back to old swimsuits..........the playing field is pretty level, the speeds are awesome.

tp
Exactly, and think about it, how much further can we push the technology for swim gear from this point forward? The advancements will likely come in much, much smaller increments and when the records are broken again it will be by very small margins, relatively speaking.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good that americans are here to put the french back in their place...because for sure, no american would ever make such a comment, right? ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
everyone is wearing them! did u see the bunches of swimmers with a small sticker to cover up the speedo logo - on some u can still see the O. im still in the lets just ahve them wear speedos camp, but hey if these are the new rules this is what we gots to go with. now let get back to the main attraction, bernardchokerino

Quote Reply
Re: 4x100 men [hectorguatemala] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I hope i ddid not come off wrong,, I love the new suits.

The fact that evryone who matters has access to them keeps it fair.

it seems the excitement of the extra speed is bringing a good level of attention to swimming.....and that is good.

Having had the opportunity to swim in all of Blue Seventy's suits......from Zero.3 thru Nero Comp, I can vouch for the speed increases and the psych that the extra speed brings.

Has been nice to see almost as many BS Nero comps in the semis and finals as giants like TYR and Adidas and Arena
Quote Reply
Re: 4x100 men [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nah, Gary Hall, Jr., did not make the team this time.

LD
Quote Reply
Re: 4x100 men [Law Dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bummer, we needed a swimmer in rocky balboa boxer shorts on the deck ;-)

The american anchor was just fantastic. keyed off unbelievably well off Bernard and made his effort at the right time. Just perfect.
Quote Reply

Prev Next