Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

4 week tune-up for sprint- doable or stupid?
Quote | Reply
So familar story... HIM this spring cancelled, Since Feb maintained some base fitness, 8-10 hrs per week (as per below) but short on intensity, specially in run/swim

Now a local sprint tri will happen in 5 weeks. Feel I am in a good place to absorb some harder/different training, but is there a point in smashing it for 4 weeks then taper? Or is the time too shoort?

What is a realistic ambition for load and absorb in this timeframe? Thankful for any insight, tips for key workouts, similar experiences?

One annoying thing at these local races is that often people with strong backgrounds in other sports show up for fun and still crush the local tri die-hards...

—-
Currently per week
Bike: long ride (2-4hrs)+ some ez 60 min sessions. + Rotating some VO2, over unders, sweetspot from Trainerroad. FTP holding up ok
Run: bi weekly long run 2hrs, 2-4 ’filler’ runs of 8-12 kms, occasional 10k tempo run
Swim: 3*20 min cords. One ow swim whole spring...

What have I NOT done last three months
Run: vo2, any short (5k type) intensity stuff
Bike: dedicated sprint (max?) workouts
Swim: any pool work, sprints 400tt etc
Quote Reply
Re: 4 week tune-up for sprint- doable or stupid? [scandinavianguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doable

just add in 1 run w/some faster stuff, 1 run with some strides
if you can get in some OWS I'd do that as well

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: 4 week tune-up for sprint- doable or stupid? [scandinavianguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
“Only” 8-10 hours per week for the last 5 months?? Ummm, yeah, you will be fine. Stop reading all the crap on ST about “needing” 15-20 hour weeks. While you are there, look around in transition at the truly average person doing a sprint triathlon. Incorporate some faster stuff as you prepare and have fun.
Quote Reply
Re: 4 week tune-up for sprint- doable or stupid? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
“Only” 8-10 hours per week for the last 5 months?? Ummm, yeah, you will be fine. Stop reading all the crap on ST about “needing” 15-20 hour weeks. While you are there, look around in transition at the truly average person doing a sprint triathlon. Incorporate some faster stuff as you prepare and have fun.

Quoted for truth.

8-10 hours is the training a lot of people that win sprints put in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where is it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:

How else are you going to run 100mpw, bike 250mpw, and swim 20kyds?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:

Ha, yeah I see your point! Suppose its partly that I never had that top end, so feels like unknown territory.

Also, logging the hours with no set goal, as opposed to build-peak with a race-day in mind can be kind of disorienting if that makes sense, not sure I could find the focus to produce 20 hours even if the time was there
Quote Reply
Re: 4 week tune-up for sprint- doable or stupid? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, doable sounds hopeful! Good point with the strides, will make sure not to skip on that!
Quote Reply
Re: 4 week tune-up for sprint- doable or stupid? [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
[

Well I would have no clue what those hours look like, might have to start following som sprint people too to get an idea
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're doing a decent amount as is. The only thing to give me pause is your lack of swimming. I know it's just a sprint but it would help the other to legs if you could get a bit of pool or ows time in before the event.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3 years ago... My A race (olympic) was cancelled 3 days before. Found a sprint 2 weeks later... Took 2nd.

I think I did 3 practice 5k in the week prior. Zero intensity otherwise.

I trained for the Oly as if were a half. Looked very similar to what you describe...except more swimming since pools were open back then. :=/
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Jul 16, 20 18:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
scandinavianguy wrote:
B.McMaster wrote:
[

Well I would have no clue what those hours look like, might have to start following som sprint people too to get an idea

Float a bit

Ride hard 6 days a week (no more than 20 miles a day)

Run hard 6 days a week. (not more than 4 miles a day)

Where is the race? Inquiring minds want to know.
Quote Reply
Re: 4 week tune-up for sprint- doable or stupid? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
3 years ago... My A race (olympic) was cancelled 3 days before. Found a sprint 2 weeks later... Took 2nd.

I trained for the Oly as if were a half. Looked very similar to what you describe...except more swimming since pools were open back then. :=/

Wait, Tom, you didn’t win?? Now, you are undermining my point! ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:

Wait, Tom, you didn’t win?? Now, you are undermining my point! ;)

1. Remember. I'm old...and, this was pre-surgery...so, poor circulation in my heart muscle.

2. It was my first serpentine swim. I self seeded for the swim....you know, based on my actual pace....not "what I'd like to do"....so, I had 300 dreamers in front of me, breast stroking, side stroking...anything but front-crawl.

3. My glasses fogged on the bike, so I couldn't see riding into the sun on the fastest part of the course..had to sit up to see.

4. Also, it was cold AF. My feet were basically numb stumps on the ends of my legs.

I'm sure I can come up with more. :-D
Quote Reply