Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

45-minute COVID swim workouts...let’s hear yours
Quote | Reply
I’m glad our city pools are allowing us to swim again, but they limit the time to 45 minutes. So I thought I would ask around here what’s your fav 45 minute swim program to cram in what you can.
I’m able to get in:
500 WU (50free/25back/25breast)
1000pull (w/paddles)
500kick
5x100 IM
Get kicked out of the pool by the guards.

So what are folks doing out there to get some yards/meters in?

Cheers
Quote Reply
Re: 45-minute COVID swim workouts...let’s hear yours [ATIS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've kept it simple with sets like

25 * 100 on 1:45-50
45 * 50 on 60
12 * 200 on 3:30
6 * 400 on 7

The above can be adjusted depending individual speed. If I'm tired or form is not good I'll do a shorter session focusing on technique.

One session a week, usually a Monday will be easier and mostly pull and paddles, then another, usually a Fri will be faster reps after 400-600 to warm up. If I get the luxury of a third swim it will be easier, possibly more technique focused, but depends on how I'm feeling.

My aim is to not over think it, and get as much work done as I can in the time available.

http://www.tri-monkey.co.uk
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm doing the short sets from the book "Workouts in a Binder"
Quote Reply
Re: 45-minute COVID swim workouts...let’s hear yours [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Am following 80/20 but honestly an occasional 45 mins at z3 is a pretty good one that I do occasionally!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Warm-Up 3x200 Swim with fins/Rotation Drills w/ Fins/Pull

Focus during all sets, bringing your bellybutton to your spine, shoulder driven rotation aligned with six beat kick
3 x 150s on 2:15
1 x 200 on 2:15
2 x 150s on 2:15
1 x 200 s on 2:15

50 back recovery

3 x 75 on 1:10
1x 100 on 1:10
2 x 75 on 1:10
1 x 100 on 1:10
1 x 75 on 1:10
1 x 100 on 1:10

50 back recovery

3x25 on :35
1x50 on :35
2x25 on :35
1x25 on :35

I usually get kicked out by the lifeguards during the last set.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just look at the normal swim thread. I believe most people are limited to 45-60 minute sessions almost everywhere.

-----
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I typically do a 500 yard warm-up and a main set of 1,600-1,800 yards- that seems to be the most I can get in. This weekend I'm going to try something different, which is swim, then get out and go run for an hour, and circle back to do another 45-minute session. I'm IM training and need the volume. I understand the need to limit people to 45 minutes, but it's kind of frustrating because I'm often the only person in the room other than the lifeguard and it's a six-lane pool. Go to the local Whole Foods on a weekend morning and it's so busy there's no way you're maintaining six-feet of distance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been able to swim throughout all of COVID and have a 60 minute slot in the pool. For the most part, I schedule 3,000 yards and alternate between intensity sessions, distance sessions, and technique sessions.

I always go into the session with a pre-programmed swim set that I've loaded in my Garmin. Interestingly, the distance is always within 100-200 yards of 3,000, which seems to be my volume capacity for 60 minutes. So, I've tried to optimize the 3,000 yards.

And once a month I do a 30X100 and mid-month I do 3,000 straight.

Gains have been ok, nothing worth bragging about....

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My last swim was the first week in March 2020 when everything closed. To date the community college's pool is still not open with no word of when it might. That was my home pool.

I've looked into the Y, NYSC, and LA Fitness, but they are all too expensive and require you to sign up well in advance, limit you to 45 minutes, and you loose your place if you are even a minute late.

No thank you.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get to the pool at 5AM, swim for 2 hours because nobody else shows up until 7AM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As someone else stated, go to the monthly fish thread and you can see lots of different workouts. Some are 45 minutes, but a lot are an hour now too. I like the workout you posted, but would take that first 500 and make it a descending set of 100's, or 50's to get warmed up. You must be a pretty good swimmer to get in 2500, with 500 kick and 500 IM in 45 minutes, so you must know many variations from the old days?

And that is the fun thing about the fishes thread, if you are stuck, you just pinch a workout someone else just did, or mix and match some sets that look interesting. I think I will pinch your workout here, but adjust the warmup to 5x100@ 1;30, or something like that..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I posted some good ones in the womens forum on a similar thread.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ATIS wrote:
I’m glad our city pools are allowing us to swim again, but they limit the time to 45 minutes. So I thought I would ask around here what’s your fav 45 minute swim program to cram in what you can.
I’m able to get in:
500 WU (50free/25back/25breast)
1000pull (w/paddles)
500kick
5x100 IM
Get kicked out of the pool by the guards.

So what are folks doing out there to get some yards/meters in?

Cheers

If I have 45 minutes, I will do 20 x 100 m on 2'05". 3 minutes to spare.
Quote Reply