Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
411 for info@serotta
Quote | Reply
i have had a chance to ruminate and contemplate. now i'd like to disseminate. (some information.) i'll try not to obfuscate. and who knows? maybe serotta's sales will inflate.

i don't think company people always think things through when they arrive new on a forum to discover a potentially disparaging post about their product or service. there seems to often be a suspicion or preconception that there was a total absence of any mention of their company prior to the offending post. in the case of serotta:

• there have been better than 500 posts written on this forum about this fine company's products during the past year and a half.
• there have been about 200 posts specifically about paul levine's fine fit service, and paul levine not only sells exclusively serotta's bikes, he is one of serotta's very largest dealers.
• there have been roughly 50 posts on this forum published by paul levine himself.
• there have been, oh, 65 or so posts about christopher kautz, a west coast bike fitter who is the analog to paul levine in the east. kautz is, as well, a serotta bike dealer.
• likewise, kautz is a forum member, having published 35 or 40 posts here himself.
• all this traffic mentioned above, plus the plethora of emails i get privately asking me to recommend a good tri bike fitter, has resulted in some number of customers accruing to levine. i don't know how many. paul can answer that. however, it is a not inconsiderable number. how many of all these customers end up buying serotta bikes i also do not know. but i suspect it's a robust total.

all this occurs at no cost to levine or kautz (or serotta). this is free advertising, free discussion, and it occurs in a way incremental to serotta's efforts. what i mean by "incremental" is that to my knowledge serotta does not advertise in any tri publications, does not have a program for sponsoring triathletes, does not sponsor multisport events, does not purchase expo booths at such events, does not financially support retailers who do choose to expo or advertise, support or sponsor such events.

as far as slowtwitch goes, we do not feel we need to be paid by kautz or levine for their participation. we get as much as we give by having their expertise here on this forum. my point is that looking at one post, or one thread, on a forum like this paints a rather incomplete picture of the financial impact this forum has on a business such as serotta's.

i'll put it another way. were all past, current and future mention of paul levine, chris kautz, and serotta--its company, its bikes, its theories--to be immediately gone from this forum, two things would happen. first, the forum would be the worse for it, because kautz and levine are two of the most knowledgeable contributors to it. the second thing that would happen is that serotta would sell fewer bikes than it now does.

precisely because kautz and levine are such able apologists for serotta's fine bikes, info@serotta.com does not need to come to its company's rescue.

having said that, and as highly as i regard serotta's very well made and designed road race bikes, i still believe the case has yet to be made by ANYONE that $7000 is an appropriate price to pay for a bike built by a company that does not appear to me to have spent any particular time contemplating the specific needs of triathletes. litespeed has 118 bikes in kona, and if you add the tiphoons it makes for QR then it's probably more like 130 ti bikes in the race. this is tenfold what serotta had in kona. however, when you compare serotta's numbers to litespeed's in the road race and road geometry bike categories, serotta fares quite favorably. this is because serotta has not contemplated triathlon. would serotta want to consider triathlon seriously, it would do very well. serotta is too good a company, its ability to build fine products too robust, for it not to compete well in triathlon if triathlon was a priority.

finally, perhaps serotta might want to consider rethinking its position of not having a presence on forums such as this. most of triathlon's important bike brands and aero handlebar companies have owners/managers/reps sharing info with this rather large and embarrassingly well-behaved end-user community.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: 411 for info@serotta [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All that sounds great but Slowmans few words mean a whole lot more around here.Not that I don't agree with you,but it very understandable Serotta's reaction.Your words carry more weight than all else combined.
Cullen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BTW -(I do not pretend to be qualified to chime in on the fit/build issue that spawned this)-Serotta does make a tri specific frame-the CX II- for $1495. Not cheap, but not $7k even with Record and 404's. Several ST'ers ride tham and speak highly of the ride.

Interesting debate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RE: the price issue.

I collect watches. I have some expensive, automatic ones. Actually, they are absurdly expensive.

They don't keep very good time at all compared to my Timex Ironman watch, which was 10 times less expensive.

I got engaged once to the love of my life. I bought her a big engagement ring. I got it at Tiffany's. It was five times more expensive than the same sized diamond elsewhere, roughly the price of most cars.

I bought it there because:

1. It made her giggle when she saw the little green box.

2. The person who sold it to me was courteous, articulate and knowledgable.

3. I got excellent customer service from them. They even delivered it to me.

I understand sometimes you pay extra for qualities that may not be pragmatically or intrinsiccally (sp?) justifiable.

But I still wear and sell Timex watches. I can't remember the last time I actually wore one of those other watches.

And the darn engagement ring is sitting in a safe (with the watches too...). Kind of a testimony and monument to something that just didn't pan out.

Anybody get the analogy?

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You said, "large and embarrassing."

I represent that remark.
Quote Reply
Re: 411 for info@serotta [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nice post tom.....i think I get it.

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hmmm - kind of like the Colnago TT bike

on another note - at least you got the ring back
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never heard of a company improving it's products or services when all they hear are complements. Christ, companies pay good money for what Serotta (or any other bicycling company) is able to take away for free from this message board: market research. Here you have people talking about a company in very honest terms. Serotta may do well to think about what's appeared on this forum over the last few days. It's free, honest feedback and opinion. They could put it to good use if they wish to alter their image to the market that's represented on this board.
Last edited by: jhendric: Nov 3, 04 16:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan,

I make my living as a small town chiropractor and don't know anything about bike industry politics but just this morning I had the privilege of talking to Paul Levine on the phone for about an hour. Believe it or not - he actually called me because he wanted to get my thoughts on a previous ST post I had made about setting up a couple of riders with unusual medical problems - a woman with an S scoliosis and surgical Harrington rod and a middle aged male with a reverse lordosis and degenerative discs in his cervical spine. Both these riders had been set up by trained professional bike fitters who didn't understand their medical problems.

I'm just a local yokal amateur ST'er, not an experienced pro bike fitter, but have an understanding of these medical problems. I've read, studied and interpreted your wonderful articles on tri bike fit to the best of my ability. It was just a matter of intergrating your work with my chiropractic experience and doing bike fittings for these people with unique needs. They're both AG winners/placers in local area sprint tris but more importantly they now ride pain free compared to their previous fittings.

Paul read my post and was actually interested in these kind of problems.

I've done about a dozen bike fittings. Paul has done thousands. If a guy with Paul's experience is calling someone relatively inexperienced like me based on a couple of posts he read what does that say?

To my mind he saw something a little unusual that wouldn't fit into the normal experience and was curious enough to want to know more about it.

This is why you he deserves the high regard that you have for his bike fitting skills. He seems to follow any possible lead even including my obscure posts.

We talked for about an hour and I was the one asking 95% of the questions. I learned a lot. He's more of the teacher and I'm the student in the "big picture", but I'm sure he appreciated my thoughts on the two riders mentioned above because it was something new to him that I could offer and he is not too egotistical to ask about it.

Paul struck me as a guy always looking for any new source of new info that can be applied to his trade. To my mind that is a terrific attitude. I wish I was more like that in my job.

I'd love to see more of Paul and Serotta hanging out here.

Serottas and is his bike fitting school are very expensive, but I'm sure they're both excellent products. Wish I could afford them.
Quote Reply
Re: 411 for info@serotta [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BTW,

When talked to Paul this morning, he told me that he was leaving on a holiday today. If he doesn't directly respond back to this thread it's likely because he's away from his computer.
Quote Reply
Re: 411 for info@serotta [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"If a guy with Paul's experience is calling someone relatively inexperienced like me based on a couple of posts he read what does that say?"

it says, among other things, that paul comprehends, and uses to his advantage, the social dynamics of internet-based communication. something that serotta, the manufacturer, hasn't and doesn't.

perhaps this is as it should be. paul is a retailer, and ought to be expected to be more adroit at interfacing with the end user.

i have enormous respect for paul's skills. the only thing i think he might lack is the input one gets from working over and over with a lot of really well-trained and highly skilled elite riders. perhaps there is a basis in this paul has and i just don't know about it. the nice thing about working with the best of a sport's athletes is you see, over and over, how a sport is played at its highest levels. you see a certain technique and approach repeated, over and over. yes, every major league who bats over .300 has individual quirks, but they all share common traits. likewise, the world's best swimmers are each identifiable just by their strokes, yet they all share commonalities. having access to that sort of data set is irreplaceable. but i digress...

paul is one of the really good thinkers in the bike fit milieu.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

i have enormous respect for paul's skills. the only thing i think he might lack is the input one gets from working over and over with a lot of really well-trained and highly skilled elite riders.[/reply]

as does serotta sadly. they have not sponsered a division one pro team in a long time and have in the jerk's opinion, lost touch with current theories on fit, frame materials and geometry. while sponsering the postal masters team, and lower level older athletes probably does help them make road bicycles for the majority of their customers....serotta has always been in the jerk's mind a racing bike manufacturer. they cut their teeth building bikes for seven eleven and the like...but that was almost twenty years ago now. racing improves the breed, and working with professional athletes refines the product as well as the fit theories. could you imagine anyone saying in 1988 that trek would one day make far more advanced racing bicycles than serotta? neither can the jerk. but they do...because they had to.

serotta doesn't make great tri-bikes because they don't work with great triathletes. the jerk fears that they are coming very close to no longer being able to produce great road racing bikes because they no longer work with great road racing cyclists. while kelly bedford and ben serotta have designed more custome frames for proffessional athletes than probably everyone else in this country combined, and i'm sure kelly is glad he isn't getting phonecalls at 2 in the morning from a certifiably crazy alexi grewal about his chain stays being 2mm too long, the jerk does long for the day when the serotta nake adorns not only the world's best "gentlemen's road bicycles" but also the finest road racing bicycles.

jerk (a huge serotta fan, serotta owner and former cyclist guy racer kid and current irreverent opinionated sob)

http://www.echelonbicycles.com
Quote Reply
Re: 411 for info@serotta [jerk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[snip]

i've decided i like the jerk. i don't know who the jerk is, tho from the tenor of his posts it's possible i know the jerk. i prefer living in ignorance. were i to know the jerk's true identity, this would make me less apt to appreciate him for the jerk he really is.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a teacher, I appreciate the civil tone of this exchange. I am happy to say that it has not come to this ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=7111723817&rd=1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"serotta doesn't make great tri-bikes"

I need you to quantify that.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you go into detail why the CXII is bad? I'm hearing a lot of opions but not a whole lot to back up those opions.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear a rolex for business and ride a Serotta..is there something wrong with that? If i worked in a bike shop I would probably wear a Timex everyday also.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"the only thing i think he might lack is the input one gets from working over and over with a lot of really well-trained and highly skilled elite riders"

Doesn't John Kerry ride a Serotta ? Unfortunately, he's got now time to ride it full time as a professional biker.
Quote Reply
Re: 411 for info@serotta [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Diabolo,

Yes, John Kerry tries to ride a Serotta. But he did lose the the Presidential election. I'm just waiting for some quick wit (I'm sure there's more than one here on ST) to jump to the conclusion that "losers" ride Serottas and all Serotta riders/owners are losers.

Ben Cline

Better to aspire to Greatness and fail, than to not challenge one's self at all, and succeed.
Quote Reply
Re: 411 for info@serotta [Wants2rideFast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He did not loose, he just did not get elected as President.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"the jerk fears that they are coming very close to no longer being able to produce great road racing bikes because they no longer work with great road racing cyclists. "

The jerk makes zero sense. Decades of working with higher level cyclist and making bike for cyclist on elite teams, where the riders painted there sponsors logo on the bikes, has given Serrota a great insight into the making of a first class bicycle.

The human body is the same now that it was in the 80s. Very little has changed so the idea that all their experience doesn't count because they don't have a pro team right now is ridiculous at best.

Again and again and again I ask for proof to back up the doubts about Serrota.

Quote Reply
Re: 411 for info@serotta [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
He did not loose, he just did not get elected as President.

On August 22nd, 1851 Queen Victoria of England found herself surrounded by her entrourage in Cowes, England anxiously awaiting word on the relative positions of the yachts competing in the Hundred Guineas Cup being sailed that very day around the Isle of Wight.

At that moment the Queen, with that innate sense of portent fate bequeaths upon its leaders, leaned forward and wispered quietly in the ear of the Marquis of Anglesey who sat at her right, "Who is it in first place, my lord?" In a halting voice the Marquis replied, "I'm sorry to report, Madam, it seems it is the yacht America." "The yacht America" asked the Queen, "Then who is in second?" The Marquis, in a restrained voice filled with that porfound respect an English gentleman reserves for his Queen, answered softly, "Madam, there is no second."

Kerry lost...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So if I'm a 50 year old getting back into shape with poor core strength and a little extra padding around the middle who would be really excited if I broke the 19 mph barrier for average speed in my next sprint triathlon, would I want a bike made by people who work primarily with elite 24 year olds with superhuman abilities and 4% body fat or someone with decades of experience fitting primarily guys like me as well as a few of those elite guys?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How can the jerk say that Serotta has lost touch with modern frame materials. Did the Ottrott ST not win the BRAIN award in 2003 and a whole other slew of industry and industry pulication awards? Is it not made of carbon & titanium? What more modern materials does the jerk want? Explain to me how a company that uses the highest quality carbon fiber in the industry (and no, not all carbon fiber is created equal) can be using outdated materials? Am I missing something here... Have you ever seen the amount of detail that goes into the bearing pivot on a ST seatstay? Name another company that even comes close to optimizing the response and effectiveness of a charbon seatstay as Serotta. The bearings allow the seatstay to be loaded almost entirely axially, rather than subjecting it to bending loads that could cause fracture at the bonding joint. It is little things like this that make Serotta's beautiful.

One reason that Serotta does not push the CXII as heavily as a tri bike as they might is because they believe in optimizing ride quality before all else. They believe that the aero savings of the ovoid tubes of the CXII is not worth what they might sacrifice in not being able to triple butt the tubes to the exact riding style of their client, as they do with a bike like the Couer d'Acier.

As Mr. Tibb's points out, biomechanics and the human body have not changed since the 80's. Any bike that fits you properly while in the aero position is going to be a great tri bike.

I will send Paul an email today and let him know this post is up in case he wants to weigh in...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: 411 for info@serotta [trischnitz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trischnitz, the great thing about Serotta and Paul Levine is that the fit process is equally good for both.

I am 24. I am, at least while racing, right around 4% body fat. I won't weigh in on the superhuman abilities or not...

My friend, who got fit at the same time as I did, is a bit under 50, and would be really excited to break 19mph for his next sprint.

Paul fit us both with the same care and precision that you would expect from a master.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply

Prev Next