Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
4.30 IM bike-split
Quote | Reply
I recentely did a 4.42.40 bike-split at the Ironman-distance and of course I want to be faster. 4.30 is a dream-number and I want some good advices how to reach that split-time. People with that bike-performance, how do you train? Key-workouts? What kind of bike and wheel-setup are you riding? For now a base-week consists of approx 10-12h on the bike with a varied intensity. Big bike-weeks are around 25-30h of riding.

/CE

-------------------------
Next race: IRONMAN Florida

http://www.cetri.se/
Quote Reply
Re: 4.30 IM bike-split [CE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whats your run-split look like ?!?!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would love to see this thread go on and on but alas I don't think you'll have many replies.

I would be curious to know what sort of training schedule you follow to achieve a 4:40 bike split though.

Please share

Paul
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last saturday i came third at the swedish long distance championship (IM dist.) and did a 4:33 bike split on a flat course and i didnīt push it. I ride a 2008 Scott Plasma and my wheel setup was a Zipp 808 in front and a Extreme disk wheel back. My drop is 11 cm and i use a Giro TT helmet. My run split was 3:01:39.

My weakly average since 1 January is 11.5h in all sports and i build quite much of my training around speed. During the winter i do 1 Vo2Max workout (4x4min with 4min rest between) and 1 threshold workout (5-8x8min with 2min rest between). I also do a outdoor distance workout and depending of the weather and cold it is between 3-4h of steady riding. This year i did two camps in Spain in feb and april, both two weeks long, and during the camps i do lots of hours on the bike. The weeks before the camps i donīt do the threshold workout and do a extra distance workout to prepare for camp. The winter training is on a CX and a roadbike.

Early summer and summer i do 2-3 rides/w on my TT-bike. One interval workout and 1-2 long steady workouts. I rather ride 6h so hard that i need to rest from biking a couple of days than to just sit on my bike everyday and spinn. I have the same philosophy with run training.

English is not my first language so sorry for any weird spelling :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what was your run split?

avg and NP?

watts/kg?

Why not focus on your swimming and running, and maintain your strength of cycling?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: 4.30 IM bike-split [ericreid421] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
why do you people keep asking about his run split? oh yeah, thats right, just in case it isnt sub 2:50 youll have something to criticize and you can tell him hes biking too hard...
Quote Reply
Re: 4.30 IM bike-split [butch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed,

This is where things go AWOL so fast. The original post only asks what sort of training does it take to do a 4:30 bike split. Why are people getting so off track so quickly by being so concerned about run splits, NP etc. I don't get it.

if you you want to know what it takes to ride fast, then I hope that people that do ride fast post here and share their thoughts.

Paul
Quote Reply
Re: 4.30 IM bike-split [fluro2au] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
People are jealous.

But the truth is that if the OP is looking for 4:30 IM triathletes, he's not going to get a lot of replies. Assuming he's maxed out on equipment, my advice would be to keep working on position and keep doing what he's doing while working hard on his swim so he's not burning too many matches in the water---but I'm lightyears away from 4:30.

Unless of course he doesn't mind adding 50-60 minutes to his run split, in which case I'd say just ride harder ;^)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only consistency and years of work will get you to the 4h30 split. Nothing magical. Weeks with 30h of riding already looks brutal.

http://twitter.com/krepster || http://www.pedro-gomes.com || follow all the action on facebook
Quote Reply
Re: 4.30 IM bike-split [Jocke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Last saturday i came third at the swedish long distance championship (IM dist.) and did a 4:33 bike split on a flat course and i didnīt push it. I ride a 2008 Scott Plasma and my wheel setup was a Zipp 808 in front and a Extreme disk wheel back. My drop is 11 cm and i use a Giro TT helmet. My run split was 3:01:39.

My weakly average since 1 January is 11.5h in all sports and i build quite much of my training around speed. During the winter i do 1 Vo2Max workout (4x4min with 4min rest between) and 1 threshold workout (5-8x8min with 2min rest between). I also do a outdoor distance workout and depending of the weather and cold it is between 3-4h of steady riding. This year i did two camps in Spain in feb and april, both two weeks long, and during the camps i do lots of hours on the bike. The weeks before the camps i donīt do the threshold workout and do a extra distance workout to prepare for camp. The winter training is on a CX and a roadbike.

Early summer and summer i do 2-3 rides/w on my TT-bike. One interval workout and 1-2 long steady workouts. I rather ride 6h so hard that i need to rest from biking a couple of days than to just sit on my bike everyday and spinn. I have the same philosophy with run training.

English is not my first language so sorry for any weird spelling :-)

Why do I lose what I write everytime I hit 'quote', it just doesn't appear???

Anyway, good reply. I ride around a 5:10-5:16 in IM's and I average around 9hrs PW. Being able to ride 11.5hrs PW makes perfect sense to be able to ride well under sub 5hrs. Then looking at the specificity your'e doing makes it even more impressive.

Thanks for your post. looking at what you are able to do consistently just proves what people can be capable of doing IF they are willing to committ.

Paul
Last edited by: fluro2au: Aug 10, 08 23:12
Quote Reply
Post deleted by FJB [ In reply to ]
Re: 4.30 IM bike-split [FJB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I understand that triathlons are about getting to the finish line in the quickest possible time, but wouldn't you like to know what these guys do to ride a 4:30 bike split just out of curiousity????

Keep it on topic, lets hear what some of these BIKE specific strategies ARE to be able to ride this well.

Paul
Last edited by: fluro2au: Aug 10, 08 23:15
Quote Reply
Re: 4.30 IM bike-split [butch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
why do you people keep asking about his run split? oh yeah, thats right, just in case it isnt sub 2:50 youll have something to criticize and you can tell him hes biking too hard...
Because it makes a difference. You don't have to train like Macca to be able to ride 4:30. In fact, I bet a lot of people on here *could* ride 4:30. However, to be able to ride 4:30 *and* run well after is a totally different ballgame. Does the OP simply want to ride 4:30, or does he want to be able to ride 4:30 and back it up with a similarly good run? If it is the former, then get FTP up to about 330, and ride a 112 mile TT. If it is the latter, then get FTP to about 380, and go talk to Mark Allen or Dave Scott for advice.
Quote Reply
Re: 4.30 IM bike-split [Flanagan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thats just it though. The OP is asking what it takes to ride a 4:30, nothing else, that is what he is asking. he is not asking about swim or run training splits etc,

More than anything else I would love to here what people are doing to ride a 4:30 bike split, then you may think about whether or not you are capable of handling that as part of your overall training.

Paul
Last edited by: fluro2au: Aug 10, 08 23:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"what it takes" to be able to ride 4:30 on race day absolutely depends upon goals. im willing to bet 330 watts at FTP and about 7-8 hours per week on the bike could do it just fine. the people who actually ride 4:30 don't have to do it as a tt, so they have to ride more and be fitter. does that make sense? its basically the difference between the following questions:

what training/fitneess does it take to run a 35 minute 10K?

and

what training/fitness does it take to run a 35 minute 10K as the opening 10K of a well paced marathon?

do you see the difference?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Flanagan,

I just want to hear what the OP is asking for. key sessions, training, etc

Thats all

Paul
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

hello there what kid of test do you do to get vo2max power and threshold power?
thank you
Quote Reply
Re: 4.30 IM bike-split [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This topic is not about swim and run-splits, I want some advices from 4.30-riders about their training for a good bike-split, not a blow-out on the bike. If that's what people think it is, they're wrong, because I think I can manage that already today, but that's not triathlon for me, I want to able to run a marathon afterwards. When I did my 4.42.40 split I started the run with good running-legs.

/CE

-------------------------
Next race: IRONMAN Florida

http://www.cetri.se/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, since we are limited on what questions we are allowed to ask in order to try and help you, may I ask what race you want to do this 4:30 ride at? There's a big difference between 4:30 at IMLP and a 4:30 at IMFL.

May I also ask, what races you've ridden 4:42 at? It gives an idea where your strengths are.

Do you ride with a power meter? It gives an idea as to what your position and drag are like.

What does your training look like now? It gives an idea where you can improve.

If we aren't allowed to ask those questions, here's the patented ST answer... You need to ride more. Oh and your seat is probably too high, post pics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyway, good reply. I rdie around a 5:10-5:16 in IM's and I average around 9hrs PW. Being able to ride 11.5hrs PW makes perfect sense to be able to ride well under sub 5hrs. Then looking at the specificity your doing makes it even more impressive.
I donīt ride 11.5hrs PW....I train 11.5hrs PW in all three sports.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was just really impressed, not jealous or looking to criticize.
Quote Reply
Re: 4.30 IM bike-split [bruno82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

hello there what kid of test do you do to get vo2max power and threshold power?
thank you
I do a lab test called "Padilla test" at one of the three labs in sweden that the Swedish olympic commite has certified for testing. You ride 4 minutes at each level and then you 1 min rest for a lactate sample. You start at 50W as a warm up and then you go directly to 85W before you have the first 1 min rest. You add 35W every 5 min (rest included) until exhaustion. Even if this test isnīt the best way to find out your VO2Max i think you get close enough and this test tells you more than a "clean" VO2Max test does.
You do the test on a stationary bike with a SRM system and the bike holds the same watt even if you change your cadense. They measure VO2, VCO2, Puls, RQ, Lactate and Power...and you get a good work out :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jocke:

Awesome... Do you train with a power meter? What do the camps in Spain focus on? How does your training change as the year progresses?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ASIDE FROM WHAT FLANAGAN SAID....PICK BETTER PARENTS.

No amount of training (intensity or volume) will ever get me to a 4:30 bike split with zero swimming and zero running afterwards. I'm going to blame my parents for that...however, there are many things I can do better than the average guy cause I picked the right parents, but cycling is not one of them!

OK, seriously, perhaps picking a better course on a good day with even better equipment choices.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: 4.30 IM bike-split [maxmasmav] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Jocke:

Awesome... Do you train with a power meter? What do the camps in Spain focus on? How does your training change as the year progresses?

I train with power on the stationary bike i do my winter training on but i have no PM on my road/ TT bike...yet. The february camp was a "triathlon camp" in the way i did quite lot of all three sports. I rode 5 times/w but no longer than 3h but all rides was in a steady pace, my LT puls is 173-175 and i average 145-150 on these rides. I ride quite lot on feel and use HRM as an indiacator of intensity.

During the camp in April i were two weeks in Mallorca and i did 2x6h in the mountains quite hard and 2x2h easy / week. The days i rode 2h easy i did 1.5h swim followed by a 1h run in the morning. I ran one 2h session in the middle of the camp the day before my rest day.

My training during the year looks like this:

Winter - High intensity focus on the bike and more of long runs. This b/c we have snow and i donīt want to run fast b/c of the risk of injury.
Summer - Fewer sessions but instead i do longer and at a steady pace. I rather rest than do extra easy sessions. I swim in the days between run and bike days.

This is my third year of good training so i want to build hrs easy. And since i "only" trained 350hrs 2006 and 400hrs 2007 i donīt want to "waste" these hrs by doing lots of easy training. The more hrs i will train the more easy sessions i will add. Up til now i have been my own coach but i looking to get a coach to be able to progress my training and get feedback and new ideas.
Last edited by: Jocke: Aug 10, 08 10:55
Quote Reply

Prev Next