Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

30 Minute Functional Strength/Pre-Hab Workouts
Quote | Reply
Anyone have any "go to" functional/pre-hab workouts that they would like to share? In my late 40's and feel like I need to be more discipline in the injury prevention department as it seems like I fix one thing and then another one rises. Would like a program to do every other day to give a triathlete a well rounded re-hab program
Quote Reply
Re: 30 Minute Functional Strength/Pre-Hab Workouts [MadisonMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi. Although ten years younger I have been dealing with this recently and I think I have come to a good solution for me. I think that 'well rounded' is the key in your post. We should be well rounded and strong human beings that can turn our hand to anything that we choose (like triathlon!) So the following is what I have been doing and I am feeling stronger, I'm running faster and all my niggles (persistent hip pain when running amongst others) have cleared up. Rather than one thing that cures all I've found a number of modalities that I can fit into my day around work and training.
Daily:

• Mobilty Wod - https://www.mobilitywod.com. Different recovery exercise everyday from Kelly Starrett and co (also some great 'performance exercises').
  • RPR (Reflexive Performance Reset) - https://www.reflexiveperformance.com. This has been amazing and I really think that everyone would benefit from this 2-3 minute Wake Up Drill before training. It is a neurological drill to get muscles firing in the correct order.
  • The Breathe Belt - https://www.thebreathbelt.com. Not to be confused with back support or a weight lifting belt, Jesse Ohliger is onto something here - instant release of lower back tension, improved breathing mechanics, improved hip extension etc. I wear mine in the morning, when travelling or sat at the desk.
  • Hyperice Hypervolt - awesome on the hips, glutes, traps etc.

Twice Weekly (three if I can)
  • Gym - 3x5 heavy lifts, focussing on glutes and hamstrings but including other muscle groups for balance. This has been a revelation and has not left me fatigued for my swim/bike/run sessions unlike resistance training that I have done in the past.
  • I couple the resistance training with a plyometrics routine that I'm happy to send you. I do one set of 5 lifts followed by a plyometric exercise followed by two mins rest and then go to the next set. I got the Plyo routine from Scientific Triathlon and it has a nice progression week to week.

So thats about it. I've been spending 60-90mins in the gym each session. Now that spring is just around the corner I'm going to be cutting back but still going twice a week to make sure I'm hitting some glute and hamstring lifts plus the plyos. The main set can take as little as 15 mins pre or post run.

I appreciate that you were asking for a 30 min daily routine but hopefully this will give you a starting point at least. I found by doing a number of small things through the day the routines have stuck and I am feeling the benefit. Happy to answer any questions and I can send you my gym routine and/ or plyo routine. Apart from having attended the RPR level I and II clinics, I am not affiliated with any of the companies mentioned above. I just think that they are doing great work and have really helped me. For the first time in a long time I see a future in triathlon and sport in general that is not interupted by injury related setbacks!
Last edited by: east31: Mar 10, 19 15:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bridge pose and plank, daily. Add yoga/stretching to taste.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MadisonMan wrote:
Anyone have any "go to" functional/pre-hab workouts that they would like to share? In my late 40's and feel like I need to be more discipline in the injury prevention department as it seems like I fix one thing and then another one rises. Would like a program to do every other day to give a triathlete a well rounded re-hab program

I do quite a bit of functional work myself and with bike fit customers. I see some common patterns with triathletes and cyclists, and feel like the following things apply to most:

Free up the hips - so many of us are a mess here, and really limiting our potential. Foam rolling the quads, hamstrings, glute meds, and tensor fascia latae (TFL) is time well-spent.

We don't breathe - most of us use less than half of our lung capacity. Practice crocodile breathing. This is a great bedtime ritual.

We are out of balance - it's easy to get wrapped up in nothing but swim/bike/run due to time constraints, but a more balanced body is healthier. I recommend yoga or at least some basic core work incorporating some static motor control and dynamic motor control. 5-10 second plank holds to pushups, mountain climbers, bridges, etc. Use those glutes. With some guidance, kettle bells can be fun and effective. Stack 52 makes a neat kettle bell workout card deck with some fun ways to mix it up.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply