Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2 HIM's, 8 days apart- give me your best recovery advice
Quote | Reply
I am considering doing my second HIM this week-end, first was last week-end. Anyone done this? Give me your best recovery advice, please!
Quote Reply
Re: 2 HIM's, 8 days apart- give me your best recovery advice [TriKitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why do people things like that ? Can't get it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fuck a duck and try to fly
Quote Reply
Re: 2 HIM's, 8 days apart- give me your best recovery advice [TriKitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ouch

http://www.Felipe-Bastos.com
--------------------------------------------
Blog: felipebastos.blogspot.com
Facebook: facebook.com/felipebastos
Twitter: @felipebastos1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done that a bunch of times. Full two recovery days after the first, and nothing but light, short and easy training until the next one.

'Course, I've been injured, off-and-on, since '99 so you might want to think about how often you're gonna want to do HIMs on back-to-back weekends.

Tony
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm assuming you mean Steelhead last week and the Legislator this week? I wouldn't expect to turn in any kind of good time for the 2nd 1/2, in which case the race would be for fun, so then why not do the short course race instead and still have fun, but with less risk of injury and shorter recovery time?
Quote Reply
Re: 2 HIM's, 8 days apart- give me your best recovery advice [astrotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dunno....I was a full 20 minutes faster on the second one, the first time I did it. The weather conditions, though, couldn't have been more different. The first one was in Muncie, Indiana, in early August and high-90's temps, and the second one was in Marlboro, Mass., in cloudy, low-70's temps. 'Nuff said :-)

Tony
Quote Reply
Re: 2 HIM's, 8 days apart- give me your best recovery advice [astrotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
'Cause I have something to prove :) I had a serious IT band issue at Steelhead that caused me to barely finish the ride and limp the entire run. I am mad at myself for not pushing a little harder, though. I was way over my (very reasonable) goal time and I know I can do better.

I also learned a lot at the first one. For instance, 1 bottle of gatorade and some water is NOT enough to get a person through the entire race in good working order. Whole body cramps can probably be prevented with some salt tab, etc. I think if I fix those things I will be happier with my performance. The fatigue of 2 in a row is the big unknown.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
'Cause I have something to prove :) I had a serious IT band issue at Steelhead that caused me to barely finish the ride and limp the entire run.

Reason enough to reconsider doing another HIM this weekend. No possible way you've been able to recover or rehab your IT enough to race reasonably well. All you will do is put yourself out of commission for the foreseeable future.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you had serious IT band issues in the first one, you think it's going to be all better in a week? You will likely just make your IT band worse and greatly lengthen your recovery time. I also wouldn't count on improving on your last time since now you'll have more fatigue to deal with. Last season, I did three HIM' all 4 weeks apart and thought that was barely enough time to recover and actually race each one. As far as one liquid and nutrition , at least aim for the same amount as what worked on your long training rides.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you considered a hyperbaric chamber?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can second the "ouch factor". I recently did two half IM's, three weeks apart, with a marathon in between. In hindsight, not my brightest moment. First 1/2 in 5:40 (on virtually no bike training), marathon one week later in 3:15 (a ripping success, in my books), second 1/2 two weeks after that in 6:45 (obviously I gained no bike fitness in the three week span, compound that with marathon recovery, and you get a 4+ hour bike split).

If you had been healthy through your first half, I'd say go for it, it's only going to hurt and be slow, but since you are basically already suffering from a significant injury (IT band), I'd say skip it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, you hurt yourself in the first one, and rather than recover and heal, you want to have another go at it on not-nearly-enough recovery.

And you expect the second one to go better than the first?

Not to be rude, but you need to start thinking with the BIG head. This is a formula for disappointment and long-term injury IMHO

"What kind of a stupid post is this?" - swimfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did an oly a week after my last HIM.

I will be doing an OLY a week before me IM in sept.

I just go with how my body feels. After the VM, I did nothing for 3 days. I then did some exercise for 2. Then took to days off for rest, and did the OLY race.

The question seems to be what are your goals. For me, I am not doing these for "times". I do these to meet folks with my wife at the race. To get me out of the house.

So, worst case is you may have to walk some of the race, no big deal

Go for it, just listen to your body.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: 2 HIM's, 8 days apart- give me your best recovery advice [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that her body is sending a clear message with the IT Band but she is clearly not listening. We all have races we want to do and I understand wanting to go back out to take another run at it but if you don't listen to your body you will get negative returns. You will struggle through the second race without a doubt, risk further injury, downtime from the injury possibly and what will that get you?

Sit it out and make a plan to hit another one when you are healthy and prepared.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I met a guy, a 40-44 age grouper, who ,in the summer, doesn't train at all during the week, but just does races on the weekend, and he does pretty good. He probably does 3-4 halfs, the rest of the weekends are sprints or Oly on the weekend, all the way every weekend from freaking late May till end of september. I asked him what he did during the week and he said, hardly nothing at all, if anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I missed this data.

Again, if you are trying to prove something, and not listening to your body, well, you may end up not ever being able to race again.

Seems like you need to step back and ask why you do the races. If it is to break you body, well, you may not be a racer for long.

I know when I broke my shoulder last year it was a real drag. But, sure glad I finally stopped and let it heal. 12 tris this year so far and 5 more or so to go.

Dave

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: 2 HIM's, 8 days apart- give me your best recovery advice [boothrand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds pretty close to what I do. Maybe only 2 to 3 hours during the week. And I have been doing tris since April, until October. Then it is to marathon season.

Dave

Quote Reply
Re: 2 HIM's, 8 days apart- give me your best recovery advice [5280] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As clarification, after this race I am certain the IT band thing is limited to riding on hills. Not sure how to fix it, but I know that I do not have problems when I ride flat courses. The one this week-end looks to be much flatter than the last one, so that is why I think it won't act up. Also, knowing that the ride irritated it, I have been very good about stretching, icing and NSAID'ing it this week. Also a couple of appts with the PT to work on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just (DON'T) do it.

Agreed w/ those who are cautioning you about yer injury. How exactly is pushing hard in another grueling race going to make it better?

Your best recovery advice is just that - recover.

There are plenty of other races to do, assuming you don't cripple yerself first.

I was pretty smoked after my first HIM. I didn't even really wanna think about going hard or long for the entire first week, and well into the second week before I started feeling somewhat back to normal. I can't even imagine trying to do a sprint that following weekend, much less another HIM.

Even if you didn't have an injury, the odds are you would do worse at the second one, and probably cause an injury to boot. Injuries suck. Bad.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a HIM on Sunday and doing an Xterra this Sunday and I feel fine, but that said I don't think that I would be able to muster the same level of output this week if I were doing a HIM because although I feel fine I know my body is still putting itself back together.

I would still say don't do it, but if you are then I would take this week super easy. I would just do enough to stay loose and maybe get a message tomorrow or Friday and then promise yourself you will stay super tuned to your body while you race. If you run into problems or the ITB issue comes back then you need to stop.

Long term maybe consult with some of the resident bike fit gurus to see if there is a fit issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I once did it three weeks in a row (1986). Try this:
  • Monday: Keep a log of your resting heart rate (you should do this anyway) thorughout the week. Look for it to gradually stabilize as you recovery or (hopefully) go down a few beats. One hour massage, good food, rest, very little physical activity of any kind. 10 hours sleep Monday night. Be sure you sleep in a made bed with clean sheets. This is very important.
  • Tuesday: Ride 25-30 miles easy with a group on flat terrain. Avoid the hottest part of the day. Low heart rate, moderate cadence. More good food, lots of fluids, Emergen-C vitamin "C" anti-oxidant recovery drink and at least 8 hours of sleep.
  • Wednesday: Another massage, one hour. Run 3-5 miles easy after. Avoid the hottest part of the day. Swim a very light workout. If you feel fatigued in any of today's workout- stop. Stay on the food and fluids. Your nutrition for this week needs to be spot-on.
  • Thursday: Ride 40 easy. Pay attention to nutrition and calorie intake on this ride (as you always should). Take the evening easy.
  • Friday: Run 3 miles easy, no more, very light swim workout. If you feel tired: Stop. Super hydration and nutrition day. Important: Double check your race equipment and pack for your Sunday race. Do this today- not Saturday. Go to bed early tonight. Even if you can't sleep- go to bed early. If you have trouble sleeping, lay in bed and visualize the race until you fall asleep. If you are in a relationship that is stable and a source of strength this is a good night to use that relationship for some comfort and strength. Don't stay up too late though. Surround yourself with positive people who believe in you today.
  • Saturday: This is an important day. Get up at the same time as you will on race day. Be professional- you are racing tomorrow. Avoid distractions and annoyances. Be purposeful and organized in your work today. Everone else thinks the race starts tomorrow- but it really starts today if you are organized and that will give you a better race. Have your directions to the race printed out and rehearse them. Know the schedule of the race and review the course map again. Double check the weather. Know the wind, the time of sunrise, the forecasted humidity and high temperature. Load your gear into the car and kick back. It is time to wind down before the gun goes off. Rent your favorite movie and take it easy. The work is done until tomorrow.
  • Sunday: Have your best race. Your preparation has been professional and meticulous. Good job. You deserve a good race now. Take what the days brings and do your best.

Good luck! You'll do great!

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: 2 HIM's, 8 days apart- give me your best recovery advice [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My personal advice is take a pass on the race... but you've already gotten some priceless advice above...

"Be sure you sleep in a made bed with clean sheets. This is very important." d-d-d-definitely Kmart, Charlie Babbit.

"This is a good night to use that relationship for some comfort and strength." Wapner at 7:30, definitely 7:30.

"Surround yourself with positive people who believe in you today." I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, & gosh darnit people LIKE ME!!

"Be purposeful and organized in your work today." I want those shoes cleaned & buffed with a fine chamois, and I want it done quick! Chop chop!

"Have your directions to the race printed out and rehearse them." Read them until you can recite them to yourself & drive your spouse f-ing NUTS.

"Know the schedule of the race (wait is it swim RUN bike? Or Bike Swim Run? CRAP) and review the course map again (print & memorize this, then tape it to your bike.)

"Double check the weather. Know the wind, the time of sunrise, the forecasted humidity and high temperature." If you wake up & the sun is high in the sky, it's 85 degrees and 95% humidity, you'll know that you slept in & missed the race.

"Rent your favorite movie and take it easy. The work is done until tomorrow." If your favorite movie is Return of the King you'll need to start watching at Noon so you'll be into your pressed & made bed by midnight.

"Have your best race." Or second-best, depending on how you did last week.

"Your preparation has been professional and meticulous" (except for the whole IT band thing and the lack of nutrition in the Half IM last week)

"Good job. You deserve a good race now." How bout a fresca? MMM? MMM?

"Take what the days brings and do your best." Stay to the FAR right on the bike & run courses please.
Quote Reply
Re: 2 HIM's, 8 days apart- give me your best recovery advice [Chest Rockwell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Have you considered a hyperbaric chamber?
Or therapy... as in psychological ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For ME, back to back halves would be fine, and it's about how I train. But, I do it with the first HIM being very easy...not racing. I use it as the last big training day before the REAL race the following week. I'm not crazy enough to try and race two within a week of one another. No doubt there are many that can do that, I know I'm not one of them.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: 2 HIM's, 8 days apart- give me your best recovery advice [dongustav] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL!!! That is pretty freakin' funny! :-) Sorry Tom, I know that you were giving top notch advice as usual, but that was still funny.

IT Band issues? No way... is it really worth it. I'm not going to go on and on about all of the stories that I've heard, but I was laid up for 7 months in '98 because I thought I had the "cause" figured out and raced anyway (the day after my cortisone (sp?) shot). A buddy was out for 2 years with severe ITB issues.

You can prove yourself another day... right?

-Jeff
Quote Reply