Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
2 American Zofingen Questions (give or take a few) + other assorted ramblings.
Quote | Reply
Now that I have my HIM behind me I'm starting to focus on American Zonfingen. I've read most of the past threads on this race and am very excited, and a bit nervous.

I still have two question.

1)How hard are the climbs? I've been taking occasional trips up App Gap here in VT and done a few laps on the Bolton Valley climb. I'll focus more on the big climbs in the next few weeks. Are there any Vermonters or others who can compare the climbs at AZ with those of some of the harder VT gaps?

2)I normally train and race in Brooks T5s. I've had them on some of the pretty rough trails around home and they do OK on everything except mud. The low profile makes them pretty stable. Admittedly, my time spent on the trails with these shoes is pretty minimal compared to my overall training, so I'm not sure how they would hold up over 20 miles if the trails at AZ are littered with sharp rocks. So, now to my question...how rocky is the AZ trail and how likely is it to be muddy. As an alternate to the T5s I'm thinking a pair of cross country spikes might be nice or a pair of super light trail shoes like NB 790s. I saw in other posts that flats are not recommended for that race. Are there alternate opinions about that?

Thanks,
Victor

================================
blog
twitter
Last edited by: Bell Head: Sep 22, 08 17:39
Quote Reply
Re: 2 American Zofingen Questions [Bell Head] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't answer 1 other than to say they're pretty stout.

2) I would not go with cross country flats. I don't remember any hugely gnarly sections, but there are at least a few through some pretty rocky areas and some hard downhill spots that would make something like that a bit hard on your by the end. I raced in the same shoes I normally do road race in and while it wasn't perfect in a few spots, it worked out fine. This year I'm bringing some Inov-8 RocLite 270s, just because I'd prefer to have a bit more tread on the ground while still staying low and moderately padded. Those shoes are as light as my road shoes so I don't really lose anything by having them. With all of that said, it was dry last year. If it's wet I would definitely go towards trail shoes.

-Andrew Saar
It is better to do the right thing and be paid poorly,
than to do the wrong thing and be rewarded richly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The climbs aren't epicly steep. They are fairly long however, and since you get to do 'em each 3x, it adds up.
The 1st time up past the Mohonk Mtn House, you'll be saying, hmm, that wasn't too too bad.
2nd time, ok, I'm feeling it now.
3rd time, dear GOD, thank you thank you thank you that I don't hafta do that again!!!! ;-)

I've worn trail running shoes both times I've done A-Z, and will again this year.
Salomon XA Pros the first go, and some Adidas Adizero XT's for last and this yr.
(The XT's are like trail running race flats, if there can be such a thing. Very light, great grip, comfy, fast.)

You could always bring both options, and run the first loop w/ one pair, see how it goes, then decide which ones to go w/ for the 2nd run.

I use Brooks T4's for open runs and tris up to HIMs. I would never even remotely consider using them for A-Z.
YMMV.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not as steep as Appalachian gap, but 3x each climb will take it's toll. I would say going over and back the gap twice with a 10 mile flat loop on each side would be a good race simulation for AZ.

For what it is worth I have raced both sides of the gap in the Green Mountain stage race. Raced with 39x25s and was basically okay in terms of gearing. I also raced A-Z in 39x25 and did about a 4:50 to 5:00 hour bike split (to give you an idea of the pace I was riding) and I think I should have used a 27 or a compact 34/36 x 25.

If you are geared correctly doing in climbs is really no harder than hammering the flats, you just go slower.
Quote Reply
Re: 2 American Zofingen Questions [Tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great info, thanks. I have my work cut out for me!

On the shoe choice, I guess I'm going to leave the T5s in transition (or maybe at home so I'm not tempted by their presence) and look for a good pair of light weight trail shoes. It also sounds like I should also leave my cross country spikes at home.

I still wondering if I need to be prepared for mud, or if the trail is generally dry.

Victor

blog
twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whether there is mud or not depends on the weather preceding the event. I know that sounds obvious, but if it rains the night before, the fields will be muddy and the plank crossings can be slick.

2015 American Zofingen Du is May 17.
R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Re: 2 American Zofingen Questions [tetsuoni] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How is the weather @ that time of the year usually?

Thanks,
Fred.
Quote Reply
Re: 2 American Zofingen Questions [fred_h] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It varies. The nights can be quite chilly, so when the race starts it can be 40 degrees, but then work its way well into the 70s, with sunshine. The first year, it never got over 41 degrees and rained, which can lead to hypothermia on the descents. You really need to come prepared for anything, and race the bike in layers that can be peeled away. The first lap of the bike might require a vest and arm warmers or jacket, plus warm fingered gloves, which you might toss at the feed zone at the start of lap 2. It's a long way to transition from the main bike circuit, so you need to plan on having on the bike everything you'll need to stay warm and dry enough to not bonk from the cold and wet, if that's the weather we get.

If, however, we get warm sunshine, be prepared for distracted leaf peepers in cars not paying attention to bicycles on the road. It's a big fall foliage weekend.

R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool thanks.
Coming from Ottawa, I will be prepared :)
Just wanted to check if driving south for about 300 miles would make my day a lot warmer :)

Fred.
Quote Reply
Re: 2 American Zofingen Questions [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do the trails ... in terms of smoothness ... compare to the SOS trails (for which I have never used trail shoes)?
Quote Reply
Re: 2 American Zofingen Questions [baliman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 5 mile loop contains 4 steep uphills which feature rocks, roots etc... but the downhills and flats were selected to be safe and fast. You're mostly on carriage trails descending.

R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The 5 mile loop contains 4 steep uphills which feature rocks, roots etc... but the downhills and flats were selected to be safe and fast. You're mostly on carriage trails descending.

Now that makes me think racing flats, cross country spikes, or extremely light trail shoes would be fine. I don't usually worry about traction or footing on the way up.

Maybe the T5s make a test trip on the first lap and I keep some light trail shoes in transition to use for the last three laps if the T5s don't cut it.

Victor

blog
twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be racing in light weight flats. I wouldn't use x-c spikes. Heavy trail shoes will only grow heavier as the day grows long.

Your plan is sound. Take a little risk on lap 1 of the run, but have a good pair of bailout shoes in transition.

However, be forewarned - anyone ahead of me on the bike leading into lap 3 will have their shoes back in transition filled with maple syrup and fire ants by my staff. It's known as the "Josh Beck T2 special."

R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'll be racing in light weight flats. I wouldn't use x-c spikes. Heavy trail shoes will only grow heavier as the day grows long.

Like you need to worry about the weight of yer shoes, Cartman. ;-)

Why am I reminded of that line from Airplane! "and Leon's getting LARGER!!!"

Quote:
Your plan is sound. Take a little risk on lap 1 of the run, but have a good pair of bailout shoes in transition.

Of course, testuoni has never actually *done* his own race, so he doesn't exactly rate as the voice of experience here, now does he? <smirk>

FWIW - the uphills (and one or 2 short sections of rolling trails) are much more rocky/rooty/etc than anything on the SOS course.
The downhills (most of 'em, anyways) are very similar to the carriage roads of SOS, cuz they were all part of the same trail system at one time in the distant past.
Depending on the wind/rain prior, there may or may not be a shitload of leaves on the trails, and they may or may not be wet.
You guys have fun w/ the racing flats. Just make sure yer dental is paid up.

Quote:
However, be forewarned - anyone ahead of me on the bike leading into lap 3 will have their shoes back in transition filled with maple syrup and fire ants by my staff. It's known as the "Josh Beck T2 special."

So, half the field will get to enjoy that then? Even the womens?
Maple syrup-covered fire ants are tasty!!! ;-)

You thinkin' of doing another training ride on the Am-Zof course anytime soon?
If so, lemme know-
-M

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Thanks, Murph. I was just about to drink a gallon of belgian beer to wash down a pound of cheesy poofs when I read your latest slander. Now, instead, I'm off for a ride.

And now, for the Murphy's Law T2 special, you'll be finding the following in your shoes:

R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
they go great on a bagel !

Slowtwitch bitchist place on planet earth
Quote Reply
Re: 2 American Zofingen Questions [cheyou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Or, if you're a broken down old wanker, you can comb it into your cheesy sideburns and make that grey go away.

R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeeesh! I'm even uglier close up!!! Egads!
Too bad the brown dookie slime from the pond didn't work like Grecian Formula for me, eh? ;-)

That broken down old wanker beat another broken down old wanker like a rented mule that day, if'n I 'member correctly.
I hope yer neck has finally healed from the whiplash caused by me going by on the bike like that....

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no more scary pics
I might fall off the trainer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As long as our club swept the podium, I'm happy.

Cheyou, now this is a real scary picture.

R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, so fill in the names - who's who in that pic?
Quote Reply
Re: 2 American Zofingen Questions [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Larry, Mo, and Curly?
Quote Reply
Re: 2 American Zofingen Questions [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha! Ha! Ha!
Quote Reply
Re: 2 American Zofingen Questions [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nyuk nyuk nyuk!!!!! Oooh, a wiseguy, eh?

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: 2 American Zofingen Questions [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
your mom warned you about them

Slowtwitch bitchist place on planet earth
Quote Reply

Prev Next