Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2 American Zofingen Questions [fred_h] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hammer is sending 5 flavors of gel, but I don't know which.

Yes, you can have ML's beer, if you want, but we usually have someone pee in his beer before we give it to him.

2015 American Zofingen Du is May 17.
R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Re: 2 American Zofingen Questions [byates1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yatesy,

On occassion, I'll ride out 7 to Copake Falls and climb Bash Bish. It always seems to be wet.

NE Columbia County has awesome rides. This and next week are the times to get in some big volume for AZ, that's for sure.

Keep up the good work and see you October 12th.

JM

R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Re: 2 American Zofingen Questions [tetsuoni] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since when did I get on the sh!t list?? (ok, it's the pee list, which isn't much better)

Pee is just pre-enjoyed beer anyway, so how bad could it be? :-p

Just 'cuz I'm gonna whoop tetsuoni's overly-ample posterior like a rented mule on the 3rd lap of the bike, is no reason to be a hater.
I'm not the reason the gravity is gonna be turned up to 11 on your 'beer storage unit'... ;-)

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: 2 American Zofingen Questions [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speaking of beer, pre-enjoyed or otherwise, this year and henceforth, our trophies are custom beer mugs.

1st place is 34 oz., 2nd place is 25 oz. and third place is 16 oz.

I just got off of the phone with the wonderful Sgt. Gottstine of the NYS Troopers, who has confirmed our police coverage for the event.

Swiss pro duathlete, Jonas Baumann, has been lurking on this thread and feels confident he can stay within 30 minutes of Josh Beck, if not win the event outright.

We're up to 120 entrants, 90 of whom are long course. Entry fees go up on 10/1, so enter now if you plan on racing.

For anyone local, the Pfalz Point 10 mile trail race is this weekend. It's the same venue, but different course. Still, an excellent training run for AmZof.

Catskill Mountain Multisport will take delivery of any out-of-town bikes being shipped. 283 Station Road, Hurley, NY 12443.

Saturday 10/11 packet pickup will be at the shop from 3-5 PM, and not at Spring Farm.

OK, I'm off to ride. I must fend off Murphy's boastful challenge. He shall NOT have a 34 oz. mug, full of pee, or otherwise.

R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swiss pro duathlete, Jonas Baumann, has been lurking on this thread and feels confident he can stay within 30 minutes of Josh Beck, if not win the event outright.

Swell... now we're all gunning for the 16 oz beer mug. At best.

We're up to 120 entrants, 90 of whom are long course. Entry fees go up on 10/1, so enter now if you plan on racing.

WHOO-HOOO!!!! Yeah, baby!!! I'm gonna get my Marketing Director Sportif salary doubled again this year!!!
(that's all the beer I can drink after the race, x4 now, right? ;-)

PS - 18 LC racers are WOMENS. Awesome.
That's more than we had in total LC starters (17) that first year.
(heck, we've got more doodes in the M40-44 AG than the entire first year's field)

Gonna hafta show up early to nab a prime rack spot! Happy problems! ;-)

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: 2 American Zofingen Questions [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, this might be the first year that rack position might make a difference.

R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All joking aside...I haven't looked forward to a particular race this much in MANY years!

Lots of enthusiasm here...I can't wait to meet the STer's I haven't already met.

Oh...and hopefully get a chance to pour out my little thimble of whoop-ass on CDW...if not a few of the other fast dudes....

;-)
Quote Reply
Re: 2 American Zofingen Questions [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm very happy to hear that.

As the RD, I'm dreading the next 2+ weeks, but as an athlete, I'm getting psyched.

R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[Speaking of beer, pre-enjoyed or otherwise, this year and henceforth, our trophies are custom beer mugs.
1st place is 34 oz., 2nd place is 25 oz. and third place is 16 oz.]
Are you talking about 1st 3 overal places or 1st 3 place per AG? If per AG, do you still have the MNFO (Male Named Fred From Ottawa) AG? if not can you give name, mail and email address from the 35-39 AG? :)

Thanks,
Fred.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The awards are for age groups, both LC and SC.

LC overall athletes get checks in addition to their respective age group awards.

All LC finishers get finisher medals (easier said than done).

The MNFO sponsor didn't re-up this year. Care to sponsor that category? $1000 get's that sponsor all the beer they can drink, all the chili they can eat.

That's $1000 US, not Loonies.

R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Last edited by: tetsuoni: Sep 24, 08 4:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[$1000 get's that sponsor all the beer they can drink, all the chili they can eat.
That's $100 US, not Loonies.
]

Firstly, Thanks for the clarification :)
Secondly pretty soon $100 (or even $1000) US will be porth 2 or 3 peanuts in Loonies so I might consider that sponsorship thingy.

Fred.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's got to be one of my most embarrassing typos, ever.

Sadly, there's more than a grain of truth in it.

R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
will there be wave starts with all the more people going long, or 1 start for everyone??
Quote Reply
Re: 2 American Zofingen Questions [byates1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There will be 1 mass start for LC at 7:30 am, technically known as a "donnybrook."

SC starts at 8:30 am.

R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not wanting to be too optimistic, what's the cut-off time for L/C? If it's light related, when's dusk for 10/12? I find myself totally unconcerned about the flat half I/M this coming weekend. I think there'll be stories to be had from A-Z.
Quote Reply
Re: 2 American Zofingen Questions [elvs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sunset should be around 6:20 pm on October 12th, but the woods start to get dark and cold well in advance of that.

If a racer has not started their final lap of the run course prior to 5:15 pm, they'll be asked to drop out.

R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If a racer has not started their final lap of the run course prior to 5:15 pm, they'll be asked to drop out.

Ahhhh....it's always good to have a goal. 5:14:59 or bust for the start of my last lap. Smile
Quote Reply
Re: 2 American Zofingen Questions [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
By that time, you'll be having cold beer and hot chili, wearing your finisher's medal.

R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Re: 2 American Zofingen Questions [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey that gives us an hour per lap for the initial run & first 2 final run laps, 2 hours per bike lap and 45 minutes for making for any problems with running 12 minute trail miles or 14ish mph on a hilly bike. No dallying in transition with the fine beer & food. Final lap should be as quick as possible so we're not eaten by critters as darkness falls.
Coming from a trail running background, I guess we hae to bring our own bowls of ibu and bags of peanut butter & jelly sandwiches?
Hopefully there's a girls rule that says if the starting temp is below 30, women get the option to switch to the short race. Men have to do L/C. It's not that we're more delicate, it's just that we're not as... well, I can't think of a non-derogatory term for folks who want to be out all day in figid weather. I know, skiiers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm interested in AZ, but I really have no idea what I'd be getting myself into. I just don't want my season to end yet.

9,000 ft of climbing doesn't mean too much to me.

Without starting a AZ - Savageman smackdown, how do the climbs at AZ compare to the Savageman climbs?
Quote Reply
Re: 2 American Zofingen Questions [rus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't done Savageman, but Josh Beck has done both. I'll shoot him an e-mail.

R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Re: 2 American Zofingen Questions [rus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While I have also never done Savageman, I've got a good idear of what their bike course is like, based on the course descriptions, racer accounts, etc.

There is nothing remotely as steep as the worst of the nasties that Savageman throws at you at A-Z. Seems to me like breaking 3hrs on the bike at Savageman is roughly as difficult as breaking 5 hrs on the bike at A-Z. That's just a SWAG - YMMV.

(and FWIW, the bike splits at Savageman make it appear to only be a tad harder than the bike course at Harriman - if you go by the approx # or % of folks who broke 3hrs on the bike that is. Harriman also has nothing anywhere near as steep as the marquee, beatdown climbs that Savageman features)

I believe the steepest part of any climb at AmZof is in the 12% range, none of that 31% insanity here. But - there are very loooong climbs, and lots of places on the course where you do some short climbs, rollers, false flats, etc. that you don't really think much of individually, but all of which add up over the course of the 3 loops.
It's a different kind of hurt.

As tetsuoni said, Josh Beck has done both, 2x. He can provide the definitive comparison for us all.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: 2 American Zofingen Questions [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh...and hopefully get a chance to pour out my little thimble of whoop-ass on CDW

Ahh, finally the truth comes out. Well, I guess all our questions will be answered soon, won't they now? If I let a guy beat me who hasn't ridden a hill larger than a bridge for training then I deserve much more than a thimbleful of WA, more like a whole barrell. 18 days baby ...

Chad
Quote Reply
Re: 2 American Zofingen Questions [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[If I let a guy ... who hasn't ridden a hill larger than a bridge for training ]
That would be my case in the last 2 to 2 1/2 months
I have only 4 hilly rides since the begining of the season (two of them were in LP end of June including WhiteFace climb).
I hope to get 2 hilly ride before Zofingen but there is no guarantee...

Fred.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have no idea whether riding hills in training actually makes a difference, since I have never trained seriously anywhere that was flat. I suspect on the bike it is just a question of fitness to weight ratio. The greater difference is probably the rocky, uneven nature of the run. That is where I am hoping to make up some ground. I'm going to shadow ML and TriBriGuy all day on the bike and then eat their lunch on the trail. :)

Chad
Quote Reply

Prev Next