Re: 2 American Zofingen Questions [cheyou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The race does attract a motley crew.

2015 American Zofingen Du is May 17.
R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Re: 2 American Zofingen Questions [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No carrying will be necessary. Last year was just a bit of a debacle because of my run course deviation and likely subsequent overreaction. This year I will be armed with a lower gear, a better heart rate plan and a "finish or die" attitude that I was lacking last year.

When looking at last years results, I probably bailed out while in 7th or 8th place. I would have struggled with the last 10 miles, but no one behind me was exactly burning up the forest. This time around I will have the plan A) my legs are great and I'm going to grind you into the dirt and if necessary my plan B) "I'm not sure why I thought this was a good idea, but I'm going to trudge through to the end anyway".

All this talk is starting to motivate me for the race.

Chad
Quote Reply
Re: 2 American Zofingen Questions [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The run course loops right past transition. It's easy enough to duck in and grab something, or you can have someone in or around the pavilion hold flasks for you. The run passes right through the pavilion.

We also do our best with special needs at the bike aid station.

R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Re: 2 American Zofingen Questions [tetsuoni] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"We also do our best with special needs at the bike aid station."

I'll take 2 pints of John Courage....and a chaser of Rye and soda...per loop, please!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks to the prior antics of Murphy, the Troopers have indicated they will be enforcing the "cycling under the influence" statutes. So, I'd be careful what you take on board at the bike aid station.

R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Re: 2 American Zofingen Questions [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You run right past transition on each lap. Worse, all the chili is cooking and steaming and you have to run past that three times.

Priceless! I will definitely be loaded up every time Murphy's Law comes by.

Beer and chili.

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks to the prior antics of Murphy, the Troopers have indicated they will be enforcing the "cycling under the influence" statutes.

What?! No open bar in the bike special needs?

I'm glad I'm only doing the one lap.

;-)

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
Quote Reply
Re: 2 American Zofingen Questions [parkito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Slingerland Pavilion is the truest test of the long coursers' fortitude. The siren's song of cold beer, hot food, family, friends and vanquished foes reveling and mocking the prospect of yet another 5 mile trek through the darkening woods over billy goat trails can break the will of the most seasoned iron veteran.

R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Re: 2 American Zofingen Questions [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I'm not sure why I thought this was a good idea, but I'm going to trudge through to the end anyway".

That pretty much sums up most of my races.

Good news that I'll be able to pick up a bottle each time through, but three times through transition while everyone else is partying is definitely going to be tough. Just make sure you save some food for me!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
You run right past transition on each lap. Worse, all the chili is cooking and steaming and you have to run past that three times.

Priceless! I will definitely be loaded up every time Murphy's Law comes by.

Beer and chili.

Knowing you, it'll still be the same damn beer all 3 times.
Sheesh, you nurse that stuff like it's your last one before Prohibition or something....

Now the food on the other hand - I'm sure you'll have had breakfast, second breakfast, elevensies, brunch, lunch, snack, and afternoon tea by the time I finally wrap up my 3rd run lap.
;-)

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: 2 American Zofingen Questions [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Knowing you, it'll still be the same damn beer all 3 times.

Not after the race, buddy. Oh, and you'll probably be driving me home that night.

Double oh, my wife prefers that I am in by 1 a.m., just so's you know.

;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The Slingerland Pavilion is the truest test of the long coursers' fortitude. The siren's song of cold beer, hot food, family, friends and vanquished foes reveling and mocking the prospect of yet another 5 mile trek through the darkening woods over billy goat trails can break the will of the most seasoned iron veteran.

Oh god, so yet another thing to train for.

Ride Hills: check
Run hills: check
Dental Insurance up to date: check
Run past party with tempting food and beer so I can endure more pain: nope.

Guess I'll have to arrange for a party someplace, provide free beer and food, and tell everybody to heckle me and offer me beer as I run past.

Damn!

================================
blog
twitter
Quote Reply
Re: 2 American Zofingen Questions [Bell Head] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Guess I'll have to arrange for a party someplace, provide free beer and food, and tell everybody to heckle me and offer me beer as I run past" - That's exactly what I'm doing on October 12th!

R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
while everyone else is partying is definitely going to be tough. Just make sure you save some food for me!

There was plenty of food last year, and to spare. I wouldn't worry about being the only one out on the course while everyone parties. There is a wide range of finishing times and we cheer for everyone. It can get a little lonely out there in the forest because you think you are the only one alive in the whole world. It got to me last year and I dnf'ed after a bad bonk. I've never been a "finish or die" kind of guy, but I dropped out still in the top 10 last year when I could have had a few gels and tuffed it out.

Chad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, by the way, ML, your suggestion about riding in a bigger gear than usual sucks!! I just got back from a 2 hour ride. I decided to do the whole thing in the big chain ring thanks to your wonderful suggestion. Ugh! My legs are toast. Half the ride was uphill into a 60mph headwind (or at least it felt that strong). Whatever doesn't kill you...blah...blah...blah... I'm not a happy camper right now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do I hear the WAAAAAAAAAAAAMBULANCE coming for you? ;-)

I told ya to ride one gear steeper than normal, not "ride like Bjorn".

On the plus side, the more you suffer now, the (slightly less) you'll suffer on 10/12.
No need to thank me. : )

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With friends like you ...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
... who needs an enema?

;-)

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
look don't pick on her
If we ain't got her all that is left is us motly guys
That is sick mr giant ear with hair in it
Quote Reply
Re: 2 American Zofingen Questions [cheyou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not picking on Dawn. I'm encouraging her. Tough love.

Breaking her down, so she can be built up again; stronger, faster, able to drink beers in a single gulp - stuff like that. ;-)

Agreed, more womens is a good thing. Nobody likes a sausage-fest. Well, almost nobody.
(not that there's... you know)

We want as many womens as possible at A-Z, this year, and every year.
There are already 16 womens signed up for LC, which is awesome.
Hopefully we get a bunch more to toe the line by raceday!

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
16 LC womens already? Awesome.

Do you think 5 will finish? I was hoping to spend their prize money on more cheesy poofs and belgian beer.

R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Breaking her down, so she can be built up again; stronger, faster, able to drink beers in a single gulp - stuff like that. ;-)

You know, six million dollars just doesn't get you as much womens as it used in the good ol' days.

Just ask Elliot Spitzer.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah...well...I tugged my 3 and 6 year old around behind my bike doing repeats over the bridge here in Charleston, SC...the ONLY way to get hills here in flat country. 2.5 hours of big ring pain!

So waaaaaahhhhh for us, Dawn!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, yer kids get props for mega-endurance. Longest Em's been able to stand in the trailer at a time is maybe a bit over an hour or so.
If we break things up w/ a fun pit stop (playground, lunch, beach, something like that, we can do another hour-ish again afterwards too.

2.5 hours of big ring pain!

Did you try a hot shower afterwards? I hear that works wonders.
;-)

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
u b like a womens magnet

Slowtwitch bitchist place on planet earth
Quote Reply

Prev Next