Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 20lb Weight loss challenge [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it really smart to try to lose weight when you have had an eating disorder? Stress fractures are common in people with weak bones - bones get weak from years of disordered eating. Just a thought. Be careful please.
Quote Reply
Re: 20lb Weight loss challenge [TriFast51] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
your concern comes across as extremely rude. Remember you only know a small fraction of someone from an internet chat forum!
Quote Reply
Re: 20lb Weight loss challenge [Kestrelkerri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
did she say she had a disorder? i don't think so unless i missed it?
Last edited by: kittycat: Dec 15, 05 6:05
Quote Reply
Re: 20lb Weight loss challenge [Speedy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am in but i DON'T want to weigh myself (i may be above 130), that is receipe for disaster. i just want to fit in my jeans. how is that? all i know is that none of them fit right now so count me in. My goal would be 122 for IMAZ
Quote Reply
Re: 20lb Weight loss challenge [Kentiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, a full day away from the board and this place is rockin. Is anyone going to put all of this data into an Excel spreadsheet or something and monitor everyone's weekly progress? That way, Kentinger can unleash some whupass (passionate encouragement) on the slackers. God knows, I need it.

Anyway, here's me...

Date: December 15, 2005

Height: 5' 7"

Current Wt.: 195

Target Wt.: 175

Stretch Target: 165 (June/July or so)

Body Fat: Too freakin' scared to buy a Tanita

Pics: I could post, but then I might be banned from the board

Let the fun begin.

Ken
Quote Reply
Re: 20lb Weight loss challenge [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In April 2004 she said:

"Thanks for all who took time to answer my post. I became an ovo-lacto vegetarian in 6th grade and a vegan shortly after. I have been dealing with an eating disorder for the past 2.5yrs but it is unrelated to the veganism, which is purely ethical. The only reason I am diagnosed with anorexia nervosa is because my weight is so low - because I can't get enough freakin' calories. I run 13.5mi every day because I love to run and can't get enough of that, either. I've never had problems with stress fractures; I get enough calcium and take birth control pills to get extra estrogen. I see my doctor weekly and a nutritionist bi-weekly; the problem is she doesn't specialize in sports or veganism. I've read a few sports nutrition books. I eat a lot of fruits / fruit juices, peanutbutter, and soft grains like oatmeal or graham crackers.

I know that if I lose too much weight I'll be hospitalized and that would be the end to the running... so I want to at least maintain my weight so I can keep running (and get my parents off my case). Sugar is good... syrup and molasses... are there detrimental effects to eating tons of pure sugar? I know there's no protein or nutrients but it's calorie-laden and digests quicker than nut butters."

At the time she weighed 100. Obviously figured some of the nutrition problems out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]did she say she had a disorder? i don't think so unless i missed it? [/reply]

You missed it.
clm

tigerchik

Apr 26, 2004, 7:49 PM

Post #29 of 69 (478 views)
Tiger's response [In reply to] Quote | Reply
Hi,

Thanks for all who took time to answer my post. I became an ovo-lacto vegetarian in 6th grade and a vegan shortly after. I have been dealing with an eating disorder for the past 2.5yrs but it is unrelated to the veganism, which is purely ethical. The only reason I am diagnosed with anorexia nervosa is because my weight is so low - because I can't get enough freakin' calories. I run 13.5mi every day because I love to run and can't get enough of that, either. I've never had problems with stress fractures; I get enough calcium and take birth control pills to get extra estrogen. I see my doctor weekly and a nutritionist bi-weekly; the problem is she doesn't specialize in sports or veganism. I've read a few sports nutrition books. I eat a lot of fruits / fruit juices, peanutbutter, and soft grains like oatmeal or graham crackers.

I know that if I lose too much weight I'll be hospitalized and that would be the end to the running... so I want to at least maintain my weight so I can keep running (and get my parents off my case). Sugar is good... syrup and molasses... are there detrimental effects to eating tons of pure sugar? I know there's no protein or nutrients but it's calorie-laden and digests quicker than nut butters.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: 20lb Weight loss challenge [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shit. i did totally miss that. nevermind...
Last edited by: kittycat: Dec 14, 05 21:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've totally recovered from it -- took a couple years of pretty intensive therapy though. In the fall of my senior year in HS I was 93 lbs, at the end I was happily at 114 -- my doctor said I needed to be at least 110. Since going away to college this fall I've gained some weight, partially due to some meds and partially due to college stuff ;) I was discussing it with my doctor the other day, she said it would be ok for me to get back to 114-117. I don't want to be any lower than that though. I've also gone back to just vegetarianism rather than veganism. I hate reading the post that I wrote a few years ago (see some of the above responses), at least now I can clearly see the disordered thinking there. Anorexia is a VERY scary thing and I want never to be back there.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: 20lb Weight loss challenge [rstocks3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah...we'll put your name in the hat alright rstocks...now quit yer posting (it'll only give you an excuse later as to why you haven't lost your pound yet this week...and we don't need that) put down the ice cream (it is winter for heavens sake..who eats frozen milk products when it's freezing outside) and go do some core work.
Don't need people thinking you'rer the Pillsbury Doughboy now do you?
Weiner!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Kent. Just got in from a 4 mile run in -3 degrees, I don't know how you guys do this cold weather running. Then hopped on the trainer for 45 min. 159 here I come!!

No excuses, no Doughboy either!!

Bob

What the mind can concieve and believe, it can achieve!
Quote Reply
Re: 20lb Weight loss challenge [Ziva] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Yay! I'm in.

Female, Age 24, height 5'3", today's weight 125, goal weight 118.

My ST motivation: I promised to send before-and-after pics to Sojourner a whole while ago once I reached goal weight, but never made it below 120. oops.

Male - Age 26 - Height 5'10"
Waking weight this morning: 153.4
Goal weight: 147 on morning of ST Palomar "race" around end of January '06
Bike weight: 17.8
Bike goal weight: sub16 by same date as above

My ST motivation: I promised to send before-and-after pics to Ziva a while ago, and I'll do so on the morning of the Palomar race, unless I conveniently forget Wink
Quote Reply
Re: 20lb Weight loss challenge [Sojourner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When's Palomar? I'll make sure you don't forget:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that ATB is on my schedule too...and a friend from another forum will probably be there too...I can't wait to see you suffer kentiger...it'll be fun! As for the starting weight...do one of those Body for Life shots in your spandex holding a newspaper...standing on a scale...take one shot from the front, one shot from above the scale...should be enough proof.

Good athletes train when they want to, great athletes train when they don't......

Quote Reply
Re: 20lb Weight loss challenge [KS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Speedy said he'd throw the info up on a website and track it there.

Good athletes train when they want to, great athletes train when they don't......

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I was 158 in 2001 at the World Du's in Italy. I'm 180 now & aiming for 160.

Sorry I don't have any pics as I need a Brando wide angle lens.

Speedy,

You will never beat me in Cornerbrook at 180 ;-) I have already started:

1/1/05 - 184 @ 12.8% body fat (I'm 5'11)

12/15/05 - 168.8 @ 9.5% BF

Goal: 3/1/06 - 159.8 (Race Powerman, Nationals & Worlds at the same weight)
Last edited by: Du-Blue: Dec 15, 05 7:45
Quote Reply
Re: 20lb Weight loss challenge [Kestrelkerri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in maybe this will give my serious motivation problem a kick in the ass!

December 16, 2005

Height: 5'8"

Weight: 168

% Body Fat: unknown, but guessing 15%

Proud Founder of the Jamis Mafia- Daring to be different.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It wouldn't be right to have this challenge without a fatman!!! Count me in...

Height - 6ft2in

Weight - 236lbs

Body Fat % - 19%

Goal Race Weight (July 23rd, 2006) = 200-205lbs

http://cmkracing.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: 20lb Weight loss challenge [fatman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really need to lose about 8 pounds before next season, can I join in? lol, it might give me some added motivation.

Two Words: Litespeed Blade :D
Quote Reply
Re: 20lb Weight loss challenge [fatman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ottomann is in too.

12/15/05

Age 44

Weight (Heavy scale at the Y) 187#

Target 167#

Height 5-11 or so

BF about 20% on the calipers

Next meal - Christmas pot luck

I dropped 12-15 last year after the holidays. (to 177#)

Listen, Lupus, you didn't come into this life just to sit around on a dugout bench, did ya? Now get your ass out there and do the best you can.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This quitting thing, it's a hard habit to break once you start.
Quote Reply
Re: 20lb Weight loss challenge [Du-Blue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, based on some replies on another thread I posted, you've actually been losing lean body mass and not just fat...is that your plan? If you were to keep your current LBM and drop down to 159.8 lbs, we'd be talking 4.5% bf!

Quote Reply
Re: 20lb Weight loss challenge [mileader] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Wow, based on some replies on another thread I posted, you've actually been losing lean body mass and not just fat...is that your plan? If you were to keep your current LBM and drop down to 159.8 lbs, we'd be talking 4.5% bf!
No, that is not my plan. However, I do have a lot of muscle mass from years of lifting weights, and due to a bad crash a few months ago (fractured wrist & nerve damage to my elbow), I have been unable to lift weights. I have lost some muscle in my upper body which is probably a good thing. I am not on any diet or restricted my calories. For 6 months, I have not had any soft drinks, chips, candy or fast food, and I have steadily increased my running mileage. As long as my cycling & running continues to improve I will shoot for 159, but if I start to feel weak, get colds, or my performance suffers, I will stop. (also, I'm not sure my BF calculation is accurate)
Last edited by: Du-Blue: Dec 15, 05 10:00
Quote Reply
Re: 20lb Weight loss challenge [Du-Blue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ottomann is in too.

12/15/05

Weight: 185.0 (digital readout scale at the PRO Club)

Target: 165 or lower

Height: 6'

BF: No idea

Next meal: Lunch (at my desk and most likely a Clif Builder Bar, some v8 and OJ - since I'm slammed)

Time to get slender and down below my previous low of 171 at the 2003 Portland Marathon.
Quote Reply
Re: 20lb Weight loss challenge [BNasty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Count me in as well

age 40

height 6' 2"

weight 223

goal under 200

BF% 19

would love to get under 200 and be held accountable by this group...
Quote Reply
Re: 20lb Weight loss challenge [the_wenger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To play you need to provide a start weight :-)

Paul "Speedy" Gonsalves
http://www.rollingthundercanada.com
RollingThunderCanada

Canadian distributor for HED Cycling, Blue Competition, Akona Biospeed & Aerus Composites

Quote Reply

Prev Next