Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 20lb Weight loss challenge [Speedy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did't forget to post yesterday, I was just too darn tired! My wife was up all night and kept me up to.

Anyway my Monday weigh in was 245.5 ronded up down to 246 for a grand total loss since January 1st of 12 pounds! Man I am exhausted right now though so I am crashing before W's State of the Union Address.

G'nite!

"The miracle is that I started at all"--"The Penguin" John Bingham
Quote Reply
Re: 20lb Weight loss challenge [trinewbiehank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Today- 144
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry I'm late been very busy, to busy to eat much it seems... 235, a 1lb loss :)
Quote Reply
Re: 20lb Weight loss challenge [EvilBen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Started at 213 on January 1 - 204 today - My goal is 185 for LP in July. Z
Quote Reply
Re: 20lb Weight loss challenge [Fitnesscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok,
I have avoided this thread for awhile. Time to come play.

Lets just start with weight 2 weeks ago, (I do tue weigh ins).

242.5 largets number I have seen on a scale ever.

Last week 240.5

This week 237.5

Slow and steady is the plan this time, so I am happy with this descent. And yes still Diet Coke free. I think its 3 weeks now. (I actually don't remember).

So what are some good 200 cal snacks that are easy, to carry around (no ref. needed ext)

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: 20lb Weight loss challenge [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Slow and steady is the plan this time, so I am happy with this descent. And yes still Diet Coke free. I think its 3 weeks now. (I actually don't remember). ... So what are some good 200 cal snacks that are easy, to carry around (no ref. needed ext) "

YAY! DavHamm is off the sauce! ;)

Possible Snacks:
-Apple w/ peanut butter (in a tiny baby-sized tupperware)
-almonds or other nuts, non-salted
-banana +
-1/2 Bear Valley 'pemmican' bar (flour, nuts, raisins), available at Whole Foods and Wild Oats
-baggie o' raisins
-1/2 serving of leftovers, in tupperware
-low-sugar high protein granola
-cottage cheese, in tupperware
-1 apple + 1 orange
-slice of soy cheese on apple
-small tupperware of Grape Nuts
-1/3 whole-grain-bread sandwich (peanut butter and cheese is good)
-cut up veggies in tupperware
- whole milk plain yogurt (not the fruity kind: lots of sugar)

Note that all of these mean that you have to plan ahead somewhat, or be near a grocery store and not fast food.

The good thing is that if you carry a messenger bag or lunch bag, even the tupperware(s) can fit. And you don't need to refrigerate if you only have them for a couple of hours before eating, or if you carry a tiny cooler lunch-bag (I got mine for $5).

Keep up the water!

Hope this helps,
Lauren

-------------------------

Lauren Muney
certified physical fitness trainer
certified health coach
wellcoach
http://www.physicalmind.com

There is no escape from your life... solve the problems and get on with it.

"Just tell her you love her and you think she kicks ass" ~AndrewinNH

"I'm moving [Lauren] to guru status" ~Last Tri in 83
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lauren,

Okay, since you asked for it, here are some questions for you :-)

1) When do you think is the best time of day for certain workouts? Especially when considering training effect/value, weight loss, recovery?

Some people say cardio stuff in the morning is good, since the effects last throughout the day. I've also heard people say doing weights in the evening is good (and I've heard the opposite too). How does this all work into the theory that cardio keeps burning energy only a short while after working out (relative to weight training)? Or is it even relevant? During the week, I usually train late at night, since it works out best with work/family. Should I try shuffling things around a bit (without impacting other priorities, of course)?

2) What's more effective from a pure weight loss perspective?

a) A high intensity muscle burning 2 hour bike ride, or b) an easy-moderate 3-4 hour bike ride?

a) A high intensity muscle burning 30-45 min. trainer session, or b) an easy-moderate 60-75min. trainer session?

I've always believed in my head that b) is more effective in both cases above, but my body seems to respond somewhat differently lately. I'm sure a lot of variables come into play, but it's something that's been on my mind....

Thanks in advance for your insight, Lauren!

Ken
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tue Jan 31 = 146 lbs. Had a cold most of last week, went from 12 hr to <1 hr for the week, and I still lose a pound. It don't make sense sometimes.

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Re: 20lb Weight loss challenge [KS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for asking, Ken!

Answers, as simply as possible (I tend to ramble so being concise will help you understand best):

"1) When do you think is the best time of day for certain workouts? Especially when considering training effect/value, weight loss, recovery?"

The honest and truthful answer: The best time to workout is WHEN YOU WILL DO IT...... every person is different, but if I tell you to train at 5am and you just won't get up at all whatsoever, my TELLING you do train then won't get you on that bike or run if you just WON'T do it on a regular basis.

If you can train at night with no impact to your sleep, then train then. If you want a 2x day, fit the other session when you can. You'll see a wide variation here on ST.

Sound simplistic? It's not - if you are a busy worker and family man! It's pure logic... Most "optimum" training regimens are first designed for people who do nothing other than train; look at Lance Armstrong, who trained for 4-6 hrs a day, weighed all his food, and had the best of all equipment plus medical.

If you want the real science, many people say to train cardio in the am on an empty stomach for optimum fat-burning, but that doesn't help if you have an hour or more of tempo or speed work to do. Empty-stomach-training (real training) is a recipe for burnout - not enough fuel inside. All the best athletes fuel up somehow for a training (not fat loss) session.

"2) What's more effective from a pure weight loss perspective?"

MY opinion (and I'm not an endurance conditioning coach but a fitness coach), and it has nothing to do with your spinning training:

Relatively short (20-45 min) INTERVAL training, where the intensity varies throughout the session. The intensity rises for 1-5mins (maybe starting at a mid-range/moderate Perceived Exertion), then a slower pace is then allowed: HR and breath are allowed to come back to a 'neutral' level (say 1-min time at a PE of 2-3) and then the intensity rises again, this time to a higher level. If you are doing it by HR, it will take you longer and longer to catch your breath. Keep raising the exertion to high intensity and dropping back. so you have a moderate-to-high raise.

This may sound like speedwork but it's also a way of keeping your body off-guard with getting used to its cardio "weight loss" needs. This is very efficient.

I would say that this is comparable to your "bike ride" question; you may have hills in outdoor riding (if you are not in flat Midwest) and that would account for the heavy intesity next to 'catch your breath' (downhills, flat surfaces...).

Theorists say that brisk walking for 60 mins is an effective fat burner - better than running for fat burning alone (not training for athletic performance). That's what they say, but there's a lot of trouble with many theorists who don't compare trainer sessions to walking and running. No, i don't have quotes from studies, and if someone else has data, I'd be curious to hear.

Does this help?

Lauren

Lauren Muney
certified health coach
wellcoach

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Speedy- a little late with the weigh in, took an extra day after the miami marathon to hang out where it's not sub freezing.

this week: 128.6

total loss: 6.4

loss this week: 1.6
Quote Reply
Re: 20lb Weight loss challenge [manna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are in Blue but not from the cold, congrats. How did you do in Miami?

The site has been updated

Paul "Speedy" Gonsalves
http://www.rollingthundercanada.com
RollingThunderCanada

Canadian distributor for HED Cycling, Blue Competition, Akona Biospeed & Aerus Composites

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My really thin, fighting weight is 135 pounds. For the past few years, as I've approached 40 years of age, my normal weight has been creeping upward, and my body seems now to _want_ to be 146. I really do not like the way I look at 146, but have been nearly completely unable to do anything about it. All attempts have dropped 1 or 2 pounds, only to have it come right back.

Well, after doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results, I decided to do something different. During the 2nd week of January I signed up for WeightWatcher's online. I use their online points calculator to keep my daily points total in line with their recommendation, and I've dropped 8 pounds, almost effortlessly, in 3.5 weeks. I'm now under 140 for the first time in years and am heading to 135, where I'll be in just a few weeks.

Their flex plan is great for an athlete. You get extra points for various types of exercise - cycling for 90 minutes is 10 points - and on a diet that allows for 20 food points/day - you get to eat an extra 10 and still lose weight. Keeps me from going nuts. They also allow an extra/free 35 pts. per week which I use one day per week to eat freely whatever I want - relieves the pressure of constant dieting.

I don't have 20 to lose, so I can't join you in your challenge, but I'm almost done losing the 10 in my goal. Thought this might help some of y'all.

--------------
Elivis needs boats.
Quote Reply
Re: 20lb Weight loss challenge [Schwingding] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on your loss Schwingding and thanks for posting that. I've also tried WW and I struggled with it. I found that if I used all of the activity points that I earned in a day then I would never lose weight. I had to keep myself to just 4 or 5 extra points no matter how hard and long my workout was. I came to the conclusion that their activity point calculator was just too high, but I guess it worked fine for you. I agree that their eating plan is great. I hate being on a "diet", but I never felt like I was with WW. It just teaches you to make good food choices.

D.
Quote Reply
Re: 20lb Weight loss challenge [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dawn, thanks. I don't always use those activity points as extra food points every day, but on days that I go over 20 unintentionally, I don't fret about it because of the activity points. I understand they used to allow you to bank activity points, but they do not now.

Yesterday I wound up eating only 18 points, even though I earned 12 activity wise. THAT is why I'm losing weight, and today if I'm too hungry due to yesterday's deficit, I won't feel badly about eating a few more than 20.

I think the activity thing is a bit off, too. I believe they give too many points for cycling, at least versus running, and they have hunting listed, but not sex! How many frickin' activity points is sitting in a tree stand?

Sorry it didn't work for you as well.

--------------
Elivis needs boats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"...they have hunting listed, but not sex! How many frickin' activity points is sitting in a tree stand?"

:)

You do have to consider how hard it is to lug that 190 lb deer back to your pickup before you have a couple more beers!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I think the activity thing is a bit off, too. I believe they give too many points for cycling, at least versus running, and they have hunting listed, but not sex! How many frickin' activity points is sitting in a tree stand?

Actually, you can get activity points for sex. Just figure out whether your intensity is "low", "medium", or "high." Then, use the activity point calculator as you normally would. I'm guessing it's not listed because there are kids under 18 doing the program and they don't want to give the kids ideas. ("Really, Mom. I wasn't doing something inappropriate with my boyfriend. I was earning some activity points!")

I think it's interesting that WW should come into the discussion today. After several days of seeing the scale move nowhere, I happened to stumble across my WW materials this morning. I'm officially back "on program." I hope that will get my weight moving in the right direction.

"Real winners aren't content with yesterday's victories"
Quote Reply
Re: 20lb Weight loss challenge [SaraJean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, so the other thing is, I CANNOT BELIEVE HOW MUCH FASTER I AM!!!! Every time I return from a run I am thrilled at the ease at which I move up the hills. Same on the bike. Shoot, I'm only down 8 pounds to 139 from 146/7 but I'm experiencing a boost in speed and decrease in exertion that feels equal to 6 months of training.

Free speed!

--------------
Elivis needs boats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lauren, thanks for the long and thorough reply.

>The best time to workout is WHEN YOU WILL DO IT

Couldn't agree more. Been there, done that, and eventually settled on the late night training regimen. That way, I know I can't be lazy and sleep in or be late for work - no excuses, no hassles. That said, I'm always open to new ideas that will maximize the benefit of my limited training time.

A couple of follow up questions to make sure I understand....

>Relatively short (20-45 min) INTERVAL training, where the intensity varies throughout the session.

So do you mean to say that a shorter session of varying intensity is more effective (for fat burning) than a more moderate but longer session at the same intensity?

>I would say that this is comparable to your "bike ride" question;

So I take it that you mean the same principles apply to a longer outside ride? Intervals or hills mixed into a (relatively) shorter ride is more effective than a (relatively)longer ride of just steady moderate effort?

>This may sound like speedwork but it's also a way of keeping your body off-guard with getting used to its cardio "weight loss" needs. This is very efficient.

Interesting... I had this feeling more recently that my body was adapting to exercise in the so called "fat-burning" zone, becoming more efficient, thus burning less fat. From a training perspective, that's probably not a bad thing, but it doesn't help to get the weight off. Is this the kind of situation that you refer to when you say "keeping your body off-guard"? Should I be taking this "keeping my body off guard with varying intensity" approach exclusively, or should I view this as simply adding a different workout to add variety? Also, is this approach effective for extended periods, or should there be some "periodization" involved?

Sorry for asking all these questions, it's just that I find this whole training-body reaction thing very fascinating. I hope this dialogue is somewhat useful for other readers of this thread... otherwise, I will switch to PM.

Thanks again, Lauren!

Ken
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Should I be taking this "keeping my body off guard with varying intensity" approach exclusively, or should I view this as simply adding a different workout to add variety? Also, is this approach effective for extended periods, or should there be some "periodization" involved?"

Wow. Lots of questions, but this will help everyone if I keep it on this thread:

Here's the basic poop (take it as a pun if you want):

Yes, your body will adapt to mostly anything over time. Get used to it ;), albeit it's annoying when you have a finite about of time to train. That's why it's important to do w.o.'s which keep the body guessing: that will force the body to 'attempt' adaptation but not succeed (thus you keep getting fitter).

Extended periods of time? I'd recommend that you do everything and anything to not only burn fat, but keep you mentally fresh. You already have your tri training periodized (I'm assuming), and perhaps it's a hefty schedule. Do anything and everything for fat burning: this interval training, uphill racewalking, elliptical, run bleachers. Throw your body off-expectation. Want a workout? Run bleachers or stairs...even in an apartment building.

Any movement which forces your body into 'stress' where it can't keep stasis is good.

However, the most efficient fat-burner is having a healthy amount muscle mass. MHO, and many others', but they aren't trying to cut weight for tri.

That being said, I'm sure the ultra-racers can help you out with fat-burning tips for 24-hr runs... ;)

Hope this helps!
Lauren

Lauren Muney
certified health coach
wellcoach

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Lauren. I think I get the overall concept. Apply stress, keep the body guessin'.

Come to think of it, I am applied a lot of stress at work, which sends my brain guessing all the time... but the thing is, I ain't getting any smarter..... ;-)

Ken
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Apply stress, keep the body guessin'."

This will always work... but don't forget something very important: there are many people running marathons who are.... um... struggling with their weight. Ask yourself, "Why do those people have a weight problem when they run so much?"

That's a tough answer. Could be many things put together: bad diet while having good endurance & stamina, no cross-training to work more muscles, muscle mass has been run off, etc. Remember, the body doesn't want to use up its own muscles in exercise (if that's what's happening to those people). Most likely, they didn't have muscle to begin with, and their inappropriate diet, maybe inappropriate (but lucky?) training allowed them good endurance while they trained. But they didn't have fat-burning happening, or muscle-building (anabolism) happening: only mucle-tearing-down (catabolism).

When in doubt, 'get curious'. Start asking yourself even the hard questions. You'll find the answers through research if you ask the proper questions in situations like the 'big size' marathoners. (By the way, I'm not talking about just 'overweight' marathoners; I'm also talking about the people with a big middle and slim legs.)

After a discussion with my BF last night on the phone, he also reminded me about Zone 1 fat-burning (low intensity). This is similar to what I said about brisk walking, so I'm glad he said it. I know in my heart that this is efficient, but so are cardio intervals (low/high intensity varied) and so is cross-training with other stuff.

Fat loss and athletic performance comes down to:
having a clean, efficient diet,
creating lean muscle mass,
training for optimum multisport endurance with good form, and
getting good rest/recovery. (SLEEP is needed for fat loss also!)

If you were in top shape, you shouldn't need to do extra sessions for fat loss. Unfortunately, that's not the case right now. But you can certainly help the process by cutting out unneeded foodstuff. I can promise you (in my experience) that most people who are having a hard time cutting fat while on a athletic training regimen are actually eating non-beneficial foods. They have very understandable 'reasons' why: "I have to eat what my family eats", "I like these foods", "Can't I have fun because I train so much", etc.... It still comes down to eating only what one's body needs for athletic and metabolic use -- if one wants to be lean, fit, and efficient. If the goal is just to enjoy oneself all the time, I say party on ;)

Example: I used to be heavy. Fat. I ate all the wrong foods and didn't know it. I was even getting headaches and stomache aches from those foods. Yet when I learned what I was eating, I changed to a non-processed diet. I took up weight training. Eventually I was eating SO well that I got "too" slim -- I had to start eating MORE food. Others have done the same thing. It's not starvation: it's food-efficiency.

Oh, and since you mentioned WORK stress:
Everyday stress (bad stress) is a VERY difficult thing on the body as well as the mind. It can keep fat on in a heartbeat!! It has to do with cortisol and insulin. My recommendation (if you are in that capability), is to make sure that you take a break every 90 minutes for 10 minutes. Walk away from your work. If you are in a place with sun, go to a sunny window or go outside. Laugh with people. Give your body a chance to 'come down' a bit, feel like it's not racing [on the inside] too much all the time. There are more techniques for stress reduction, but this is one. Just remember that stress is a major problem that keeps fat on the body.

You'll be fit in no time.

Lauren

Lauren Muney
certified health coach
wellcoach

Last edited by: Fitnesscoach: Feb 2, 06 6:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2/6 weigh in:

177.6 lbs - blue, blue, blue!!!

What the mind can concieve and believe, it can achieve!
Quote Reply
Re: 20lb Weight loss challenge [rstocks3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just saw the good Mr rstocks checking in and had to do so myself out of sheer curiosity. Finally got past that stinking 189 you wanted me to get last week Speedy. 188 it is...and I better still be in red when I wake up later today. Seems the increase in water consumption and extra sleep that nights is providing me has had a beneficial effect on the old body. Now if the doctors tell me some good news this week I can really get down to business.
BTW rstocks...good job brother...to quote the line from American Flyers
If you got it up..keep it up.
FELLOW LOSERS.....FAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLL IN!
Quote Reply
Re: 20lb Weight loss challenge [Kentiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
183...again.
Quote Reply
Re: 20lb Weight loss challenge [atl_tony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
154 back on track

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply

Prev Next