Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 20lb Weight loss challenge [Speedy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Somehow I was at 147 1/2 Saturday after swimming - not sure how I managed to drop more lbs on a recovery week... must have been dehydrated or something.

"It´s not whether you get knocked down, it´s whether you get up." ... Vince Lombardi
Quote Reply
Re: 20lb Weight loss challenge [rstocks3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is a link for those of us in the challenge that might be tempted into fad diets ......

http://scarysquirrel.home.comcast.net/fatkins1.html

NOTE: Foamy should be rated R :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

"which is like watching one of your buddies announce that he's quitting booze and cigarettes, switching to a Vegan diet and training for triathalons ... but he's going to keep snorting heroin." Bill Simmons, ESPN
Quote Reply
Re: 20lb Weight loss challenge [Muh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not the Speedy projected 189 but 190 will have to do for this week
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speedy,

169 again. Can't seem to break through this plateau. If I am not 167 next week kick me off the chart!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Put me down for 119 this week. A few stumbles the past two weeks, but I think I am back on track now.

Serena
Quote Reply
Re: 20lb Weight loss challenge [Du-Blue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Du,

I won't have to kick you off. You will be 167 next week.

I have some feed back from some of the successful losers & it goes like this:

Drink 2L water per day, more if exercising (500ml sports drink per half hour)

Eat 5-6 small meals per day

Breakfast like a King, lunch like a Prince & dine like a pauper

Extended Z2 (easy) training after high intensity workouts

Do not eat after 8 p.m.

Paul "Speedy" Gonsalves
http://www.rollingthundercanada.com
RollingThunderCanada

Canadian distributor for HED Cycling, Blue Competition, Akona Biospeed & Aerus Composites

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Feeling like a loser this week. Hey, maybe my scales are really inaccurate or broke.

Height = 5'-8"

Start weight 172 lbs

Last week's weight = 165 lbs

Current Weight = 169 lbs

Last Year's race weight = 155

Target weight = 152 lbs on April 15, 148 on May 8th
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife and I are fighting the flu...She has Pnuemonia!

210!....It will get better. Waiting for it to STOP raining!

Push your Passion!
Quote Reply
Re: 20lb Weight loss challenge [dustytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
155lbs..must have been that 3 hrs of skate sking yesterday..
Quote Reply
Re: 20lb Weight loss challenge [dustytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get well soon
Quote Reply
Re: 20lb Weight loss challenge [swaco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are in the Blue Zone for the 1st of many weeks
Quote Reply
Re: 20lb Weight loss challenge [Du-Blue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"169 again. Can't seem to break through this plateau. If I am not 167 next week kick me off the chart!"

Du-blue,

Do something odd; shake your body up. Eat something you aren't supposed to eat or lean heavier on a macronutrient you don't normally do. Your body has become complacent to your weight loss.

If you are eating "nonfat", add fat into your diet: take fish oil capsules, put some some olive oil on your salads, eat whole (full fat) plain yogurt. Your body needs [good] fat to drop fat. This will definitely help.

If you've stepped up your training, step up your caloric intake also. Your body will also hoard fat if it feels like it's starving. "calories in - calories out" isn't exactly what happens to our bodies. Sometimes adding quality calories can trigger your body into continuing the fat loss process.

Hope this helps.

Lauren

-------------------------

Lauren Muney
certified physical fitness trainer
certified health coach
wellcoach
http://www.physicalmind.com

There is no escape from your life... solve the problems and get on with it.

"Just tell her you love her and you think she kicks ass" ~AndrewinNH

"I'm moving [Lauren] to guru status" ~Last Tri in 83
Quote Reply
Re: 20lb Weight loss challenge [Fitnesscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think your post will help a lot more people than Du-blue including myself

Thanks Lauren

Paul "Speedy" Gonsalves
http://www.rollingthundercanada.com
RollingThunderCanada

Canadian distributor for HED Cycling, Blue Competition, Akona Biospeed & Aerus Composites

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
(heaving long sigh)....222 again. Just read Laurens post, will try it. I lose weight best when I can run a lot and PF has me relagated to the bike and the pool. Despite 4 times in the pool and several 90 min trainer session, there is no joy in Who-ville. Harumph! (insert grouchy old guy sound here).

J
Quote Reply
Re: 20lb Weight loss challenge [JohnG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
day late on the weigh in 156# stupid bachleor party,(not mine)

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I think your post will help a lot more people than Du-blue including myself"

This is what I do. I help people get fit.

Plateaus are hard, as you know. You know that a plateau is the leveling off of progress. Although the body doesn't want to be fat/overweight, (that not it's normal state), it 'adapts' to the conditions: namely, your attempts at weight loss. It wants to find stasis (ie: a plateau) so it can rest.

What's needed is NOT strict adherance to the rules every day for months, but sometimes just confusing the body- so the body can't compensate with stasis.

Additonally, look at ALL your habits: sleep, food sources, fluid sources (yes, diet coke included). You will do best on a clean diet: think of it as a clean slate. Any 'intake' on a REGULAR basis which doesn't HELP you may (and will) HURT you. (Yes, going back to the Diet Coke thread, a 6-pack of DC a day is NOT helping your fitness efforts).

If you "clean up" your diet (and habits) that might be enough to force your body into more fat loss.

If you throw in a major interval training, that will help also: the body can't compensate in varying conditions. I also believe in adding muscle tissue - muscle is active metabolism, fat is not. That being said, I know many tri people won't add muscle-building to their training.

That being said, if you are on a plateau, sometimes a quick food binge is enough to throw off the body's complacency. Adding "healthy fats" is always needed also (as my above post stated).

Hope this helps.

Lauren

Lauren Muney
certified health coach
wellcoach

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have PF (plantar fascitis?), and can't run anyway, consider some weight training while you are 'down' from running.

You can't do squats but you can do many other things which can keep you off the soles of your feet, and the muscle-building will help increase metabolism as well as prepare the muscles for more sport-specific training. You don't have to train "with size in mind".

The more you do cardio-type activity the more you may burn off needed [active] muscle tissue. There is a fitness theory that running/cardio burns the calories WHILE you run, plus 20 minutes afterwards... but weight training burns calories while you train PLUS 4 hours afterwards PLUS the new metabolsim created by the new muscle (active tissue).

Just fyi.

Hope this helps.

Lauren

Lauren Muney
certified health coach
wellcoach

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you Lauren, I was actually a big time lifter for many years. Tons of free weights, benches, machines. I had 'em all. I had to change my lifting style from big weight, low volume to lower weight, higher volume to burn of some size and then kind of got out of it for a bit, but I do try to lift at least twice a week after a ride..

J
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I had to change my lifting style from big weight, low volume to lower weight, higher volume to burn of some size and then kind of got out of it for a bit, but I do try to lift at least twice a week after a ride.."

If you want to see results in your weight loss, please consider rethinking the way you currently lift - at least consider 'when'.

Don't train after a ride... your muscles are wasted. You won't get good success. Train weights at its own time, even if you have to re-create your schedule again (!). This will also help by adding a DIFFERENT fat-burning time in your day.

Your body WILL respond if it's constantly challenged; it can't form stasis (plateaus).

Hope this helps.

Lauren

Lauren Muney
certified health coach
wellcoach

Quote Reply
Re: 20lb Weight loss challenge [nofallsnoballs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"not sure how I managed to drop more lbs on a recovery week... must have been dehydrated or something."

Sometimes the body will lose weight because it gathers strength - you are not pushing it beyonds its limits. Sometimes "repair" (recovery) is enough to force the body back into its groove.

the body doesn't like things that are painful and hurtful. Extreme hard training is difficult on the body. When allowed its work/recovery periods, it will 'do the right thing" - whatever the healthy right thing is.

Sometimes just getting sleep will jolt a body back into fat loss, fyi.

Lauren

Lauren Muney
certified health coach
wellcoach

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
192 again..... I'm REALLY starting to wonder if my scale is broken.... Oh well, I guess I did okay to maintain, considering I had to lay off training due to a persistent cold.

And Lauren! The endless fountain of knowledge and encouragement!! Keep it coming!!

Ken
Quote Reply
Re: 20lb Weight loss challenge [KS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"And Lauren! The endless fountain of knowledge and encouragement!! Keep it coming!! "

I'm here for you all! I just don't want to offend people who didn't exactly ask MY opinion.

Lauren

Lauren Muney
certified health coach
wellcoach

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GOAL: Go from 201 (Dec 2nd, 30th bday) to 179 by April 1st, beginning of race season.

Rewards: PR At every distance this year from 5k to Marathon, life best running fitness.

Consequences: Stagnation, failure, and total lack of confidence going into late season-and 07-races.

Method: Consistency, adherence to diet and training plan, regular MAF/AeT testing. Obsession with improvement.

Backstory:

I'm in, albeit late! Here's my story. Christmas time I was 200lbs. My "IM race weight" is hopefully 179, peaking. Right now I am down to 188 and the last 10lbs are the toughest, where every food choice is critical. However, I am relying more on fitness goals and increasing volume than starving myself. 179lbs feeling weak is worthless. 183 super lean and feeling strong/recovered is obviously better. SO the real experiement is to see how much gristle I can carve off before hitting a point of diminishing returns. Many or all know someone about 190-200lbs who has gone 9:30ish/top 20 at an Ironman. Would they have been faster at 190 or 180? Not if they were sick or weak...it's all about the engine, the chassis, and the fuel. Aerodynamics/aethetics are tertiary here, but we all want the whole package. Including me:

My only training since Dec has been running. Adding swimming and lifting for Feb. I am coming off 8 months of unstructured training. Before it was 12-25hrs per week IM/expedition AR training.

12/15/05 Weighed 201 Ran 30mpw MAF 9:00
1/1/06 195 Ran 35mpw MAF 8:45
1/15/06 189 Ran 40mpw MAF 8:30
1/30/06 188 Ran 45mpw MAF 8:15

I am eating clean, if it doesn't come out of the ground or ocean or have a mother I don't eat it. Lots of water, one drink (red wine) maximum, couple times per week. Omega 3s (4-5g/day), Glucosamine/MSM, multivitamin, extra Vit C PRN (as needed).
Goals for this year are to turn my weaknesses to strengths so I can do a sub 9:30 IM in 2007, qualify for Kona. Last year after doing Subaru Primal Quest I sold my bikes, gear, everything and moved from Seattle to HB, and took some time off, just lifting, occasional good run weeks but no consistency.

Focusing mostly on my run training and MAF/AeT pace. Jan 1st I was running 9:00 miles at 150 hr. Jan 15th it was 8:30s. Jan 30th it is getting close to 8:00. All training has been at 150hr (except steep climbs on 3-5 hr trail runs), building mileage and strength. February sees intro of tempo runs. I want to get it under 7:00 this summer, in order to get into 2:50 shape. I will add swimming goals as the year goes on, swimming is my weakness. Cycling is my strength, but I'm not racing tris early this year, just focusing on my weaknesses so I won't add cycling until summer. Long story!

Goal is 178 by April 1st, which is tied to performance goals (sub 7:00 MAF/AeT), PR in half marathon, marathon, 10k, 5k. All this summer. Keep body fat under 6% during race season, maintain muscle mass
and flexibility, stay injury free.

That's the plan. So far so good, the last 10lbs are always the hardest!!!!!!!!

Sean

--------------------------------------------------
nuun-feedthemachine.com adventure racing team
2008 National Champions
http://www.clancymultisport.blogspot.com
Last edited by: Clancy in HB: Jan 31, 06 20:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am finally back to where I started: 125! woo-hoo!

As I now finally start my weight loss program, after re-reaching my starting point, here are my rewards and consequences:

Rewards: 1)Running my regular spring half-mary on March 26th. Weighed 127 last year. Goal is to go sub-1:30, and hopefully the weight loss will help with this. 2) Not having to buy a new bigger wetsuit, thus saving lots of $$

Consequences: 1) Consistently swimming more than 2x per week, year round and 2) actually driving to swim at a pool during the summer, instead of using the 15yard backyard pool once per week like last year when I was extra lazy.
Quote Reply

Prev Next