Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 20lb Weight loss challenge [Speedy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you.

Oh, and by the way, please add me to the wall of shame (your spreadsheet). I need all the accountability I can muster. Where do I go to sign up for Kentingers' tongue lashing?

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Re: 20lb Weight loss challenge [parkito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The web site has been updated. To check out your listing...

www.rollingthundercanada.com

Paul "Speedy" Gonsalves
http://www.rollingthundercanada.com
RollingThunderCanada

Canadian distributor for HED Cycling, Blue Competition, Akona Biospeed & Aerus Composites

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Despite the Christmas fudge, still 226 on the gym scale. Rats.

J
Quote Reply
Re: 20lb Weight loss challenge [JohnG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm leaving for a mini vacation to Ottawa for New Years. If you have not posted/emailed your Monday weigh in, please do. Otherwise, no worries, I'll update next monday.

Best wishes for 2006

Paul "Speedy" Gonsalves
RollingThunderCanada

Canadian distributor for HED Cycling, Blue Competition, Akona Biospeed & Aerus Composites

Quote Reply
Re: 20lb Weight loss challenge [JohnG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm leaving for a mini vacation to Ottawa for New Years. If you have not posted/emailed your Monday weigh in, please do. Otherwise, no worries, I'll update next monday.

Best wishes for 2006

Paul "Speedy" Gonsalves
RollingThunderCanada

Quote Reply
Re: 20lb Weight loss challenge [rstocks3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well put rstocks...well put. You are learning well young jedi..welcome to the dark side of the force. Thanks for bringing me back into it. Got some weird news when I stepped on the scale this morning but I think I'll save it for next Mondays weigh in.
And yes Speedy it is the Polar Bear dip I have been holding out for. Stayed in for over 18mins last year and wanted to see if I could make 20mins before saying goodbye to this layer of warmth I have become accustomed to. Alas, rstocks has called me out early and now
it's on baby. See me in April. This kind of public accountability is exactly what my excuse filled ass needed to get me out of my slump.
As for parkito...you wait almost until the three week mark to get off your duff and do something about those rolls (did you want some butter with them btw) you've been working on all year...and now you want to play? Yeah the ltd edition TSR top is a worthy carrot to chase but by itself it's only half the equation. You know if you don't fit the top you're only kidding yourself that the bottoms fit too..elestacized waist man. It's cheating. Good luck losing the weight but as for Eagleman..c'mon dude...let's be real. No way you'll be in shape for something like that. Not even as far back as June in the calendar. You should just give up now and fall into the well of mediocrity like everyone else your age. it's over man...over. Unless you think you're man enough to prove me wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ugh 188

Hopefully its mostly salt and water.

If I can come through new years holding steady I'll be fine.

Ran 9 yesterday and 8 today, so not too worried.

Listen, Lupus, you didn't come into this life just to sit around on a dugout bench, did ya? Now get your ass out there and do the best you can.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This quitting thing, it's a hard habit to break once you start.
Quote Reply
Re: 20lb Weight loss challenge [ottomann] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if you don't hold steady we'll just put one of those felt pad things under one of your feet to take the wobble out. Weebles may wobble but they don't fall down. Footstools though I am not sure about.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ottawa? Is this where we'll be staying when we do the Calabogie race? Sweet dude...thanks...I was hoping I didn't have to sleep in the car again this year.
Quote Reply
Re: 20lb Weight loss challenge [Kentiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sign me up.

Alright, I'd like to jump in on this too if possible. Just started doing triathlons (Sprint) and looking to drop from a mega-clysedale weight (~260 lb) to my former high jump/sprinter weight (225). Already lost about 18 in training for the Sprint, but 20 by April should keep me going towards a 1/2 marathon and 1/2 IM.

Penalty for Failure: $100 to my training partner.

Quote | Reply
The world is agianst us, me thinks, or am I just paranoid?

Updated: 09:43 AM EST Carmakers Widen Seats for Wider ... Seats

Dec. 28) - If you gorged at the holiday buffet, don't worry: You'll still fit in your car.

As Americans grow heftier, automakers are making seats wider, adding more space to interiors and using bigger virtual mannequins to help design vehicles.

Domestic automakers say they already had seats for increasingly rotund motorists. Now foreign brands are catching up.

Getting bigger:

· Honda. The 2006 Civic offers front seats that are three-quarters of an inch wider than those in the 2005 model. Purpose: "To meet the growing needs of our customers," spokesman Sage Marie says.

· Mercedes-Benz. The big R-Class Grand Sports Tourer, which went on sale at the end of September, has front seats about a half-inch wider than the smaller Mercedes M-Class crossover.

· Subaru. The first-ever B9 Tribeca, a crossover vehicle introduced this year that was specifically designed for the U.S. market, has front seats a half-inch wider than those in the Legacy, the next-largest wagon in the lineup.

· Mitsubishi. The Lancer Evolution was given front seats slightly wider than in the Japanese version when the performance car was introduced in the USA in 2003.

Extra-wide seats are important now that 62 percent of adults are considered overweight or obese, according to market research firm NPD Group. The figure has doubled since the late 1970s.

For the auto industry, the solution is not just about hippy seats. It's also wider cars.

Toyota added a half-inch of width to the RAV4 sport utility and up to 3 inches to the 4Runner, Sienna, Tacoma and Avalon. The goal was both comfort and extra interior space to help protect passengers in side-impact crashes, according to Toyota's Paul Williamsen.

For its part, Ford Motor recently started using what it believes are the industry's first set of virtual mannequins depicting nine different body types - including a hulking man - in computer-aided design. Reason: a finding that the average near-biggest man grew 27 pounds heavier and nearly an inch-and-a-half wider in the hips from 1962 to 2000.

"For the first time, we've made these virtual dummies to reflect people's growing sizes," Ford spokeswoman Jennifer Flake says.

Ford is also paying attention to comfort of the seats themselves. The automaker is researching whether to install power massage units in the backs and cushions of its seats.

It's also considering inflatable bladders in the seats to make them fit passengers of different sizes.

"When you think about how much time people sit in a seat - the average time commuting has gone up dramatically - it's staggering," says Susan Dehne, the automaker's chief engineer of seat systems.

12/28/2005 07:29

Copyright 2005 USA TODAY, a division of Gannett Co. Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As for parkito...you wait almost until the three week mark to get off your duff and do something about those rolls (did you want some butter with them btw) you've been working on all year...and now you want to play?

First, thank you for a first rate tongue lashing. I am so unworthy. I am scum. I sound like Tibbs.

Second, three weeks ago, I was doing nicely with my post race season 4-5 lb bump. Then I started up training and everything went to hell. At first my pride wouldn't let me acknowledge my failure to anyone else, but it was soon obvious to me that I needed help. So please don't ding me on timing oh master of the poisoned tongue.

Third, regarding: Good luck losing the weight but as for Eagleman..c'mon dude...let's be real. No way you'll be in shape for something like that. Not even as far back as June in the calendar. You should just give up now and fall into the well of mediocrity like everyone else your age.

Them's fighting words, and I love it! Any chance you are participating in this years' edition? Any chance we can up the stakes? If not Eagleman, I am seriously contemplating the Musselman in July (Geneva, NY) if I can resolve some travel vacation commitment issues, and the Timberman half in August in New Hampshire. So, to answer your question, yeah, I think I am man enough. :-)))))

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Dec 26th, 198

Doh! Wrong way. Now that my food fixation has been satiated for this Christmas, I can get back to some training.
Last edited by: phatboyslim: Dec 28, 05 19:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lemme see if I get this right...you see the thread but hide from it for three weeks hoping you don't need to resort to such harsh measures in a quest to battle the bulge. Now, as time has dictated, you come crawling into the fray in hopes that someone will tell you that you've been a bad boy...so much so that you'll find that fire that drives you into shape. Then you want me to come on down and step up to duke it out with you at an Eagleman racee that you'll no way be in shape for to get further humiliation? Aree you a masochist or something. Please. Lose those saddlebags first and then some to me with a challenge. Don't just think you're worthy. As for the other races on your sched all I have to say about that is...make sure your support crew brings a de-fib machine to revive you when you pack it in halfway through. Old fat guys should not aspire to such greatness. Grow old, get bald, get fat, wear pants around your armpits that have Arnold Palmer logos on them and just accept it. Your best years are so far behind you now (and given the size of your behind that's saying something) you'll have to take a few more naps before they can ever hope to be in the same area code again.
Say goodnight Gracie!;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lemme see if I get this right...you see the thread but hide from it for three weeks hoping you don't need to resort to such harsh measures in a quest to battle the bulge.

Yup.

Now, as time has dictated, you come crawling into the fray in hopes that someone will tell you that you've been a bad boy...so much so that you'll find that fire that drives you into shape.

Um, yup again. But to be technically correct, I have the drive, I just need help to stay honest with the "nutrition". Is that double-speak enough?

Then you want me to come on down and step up to duke it out with you at an Eagleman racee that you'll no way be in shape for to get further humiliation?

Uhmmm, there's them fighting words again. Yup.

Aree you a masochist or something.

Ah, I am a triathlete. Asked and answered.

Please. Lose those saddlebags first

You know, I am rather attached to these saddlebags. I have had them for such a long time.

and then some to me with a challenge. Don't just think you're worthy. As for the other races on your sched all I have to say about that is...make sure your support crew brings a de-fib machine to revive you when you pack it in halfway through. Old fat guys should not aspire to such greatness. Grow old, get bald, get fat, wear pants around your armpits that have Arnold Palmer logos on them and just accept it.

Ah, but you have fallen for the disguise as well. It is so much fun to pass all the younger, much fitter looking males and see their expressions as this paunchy, grayed out, balding schlub passes them by. Furthermore, I have far too much ego not to consider myself worthy. Two and half years ago, I was recovering from post grad school diet explosion (ballooned to 170 lbs), and did the Tupper Lake Tinman half in 5:54 at 157 pounds. The pictures fits your description to a tee. If need be, I may have to tape them to the fridge. But, in the event I do stabilize at 133 next year, look out!

Your best years are so far behind you now (and given the size of your behind that's saying something) you'll have to take a few more naps before they can ever hope to be in the same area code again.

Ok, that last sentence has me stumped.

Eight mile aerobic run yesterday with a 30 minute core session before, 4000 yd swim this morning, followed by 4.5 mile treadmill run. Absolutely no weight change from Tuesday. Now, a possible contributing factor could be the two pumpkin pies I have eaten since Sunday. I love pumpkin pie, and I make the best of anybody I know. So, this temptation is now done with. Maybe I'll start to see some progress now.

Goodnight Gracie.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just got back in to town form a food fest at my sisters in Albuquerque, I have been sick with a cold for over two weeks and have not been training but the up side is my appetite has not been what it used to be.

Original weight, Dec. 13: 216.2

First week, Dec. 20: 214.4

This week, Dec. 29: 211.6

Net: -4.6

~Tucker

Shop at: TriSports.com

"Stick to the facts man, they are good enough, no need to go making stuff up." - STP
Quote Reply
Re: 20lb Weight loss challenge [BNasty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well I went up .6 pounds but after the initial massive drop in weight I'm still doing pretty well.

Original Weight: 185
1st Weigh-In: 181.6
2nd Weigh-In: 182.2

Total Drop Thus Far: 2.8
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice professional web site speedy.

I was not planning to qualify for the 20 pound challenge. But now the holidays are nearly over and I have been minimally training for 4 weeks due to flu, followed by cold, followed by bruised knee...but ate with no restraint. I now need to loose 20 lbs. I weighed in at 172 first thing in the Monday morning the day after Christmas Day feasting. I want to get to 150 by April 23rd for the long course national DU championships. Good luck and keep a strong willpower.

12-26 172 lbs
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sadly, Parkito my friend, the likelihood of me making it down to Eagleman is pretty unlikely (given that I live about an hour south of Toronto) but if my words have in any way motivated you (or continue to do so..I am not done with you yet) then my job is done. If you need to post an old post grad pic of you on the fridge (or better yet the ingredients to a pumpkin pie...unless you're making me one..also a weakness for me) to get you back into fighting shape...then do it. Seems I must have either stepped on the scale wrong in the last week or my eyes were blurry at the time...my number is lower than recently posted on the Speedy site. But when someone takes a picture of me doing the polar bear dip in a few days time (someone always takes one...and I am so pasty white now it's scary) I will be posting it anywhere and everywhere I can to remind me why I don't want to let myself get this out of shape again.
Fight on Parkito...but slack off..even for a day or two...and be prepared for the abuse that follows. And if it means I have to use up thee contents of my piggy bank to get in and down to Eagleman to one up you and put the boots to your ego...then that's what it may come to. And really....you don't want me to do that...it aint pretty.

Another Kent in the challenge? Where the hell have you been for the last three weeks? Fattening yourself up to PAD your weight so your loss is more impressive? Get moving! Deadline for loss (or win...which losing is kind of winning...but I digress) is April 15 and time aint waiting for you.
Quote Reply
Re: 20lb Weight loss challenge [Kent KS DU] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was not planning to qualify for the 20 pound challenge. But now the holidays are nearly over and I have been minimally training for 4 weeks due to flu, followed by cold, followed by bruised knee...but ate with no restraint. I now need to loose 20 lbs. I weighed in at 172 first thing in the Monday morning the day after Christmas Day feasting. I want to get to 150 by April 23rd for the long course national DU championships. Good luck and keep a strong willpower.

Boy are you in for some shit now from Kentinger!! Better duck quick! :-)

edit: Oops! It's too late!!

Last edited by: parkito: Dec 30, 05 9:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's okay, I'll give you a pass on Eagleman. I do, however, have long term plans for doing either Petersboro or Muskoka (sp?). I did IMC last year (2004), and stayed at a B&B with a couple of really nice Canadien couples from the Ontario area. I plan to come up and visit them one of these days.

5,000 yds in the pool this morning, followed by 40 minutes in the weight room. No change in weight. Sigghhh. I must be putting on muscle. I think I am also retaining water as I start perspiring really easy. Yeah, that must be the reason. ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Holding steady not dropping but not working on it till tomorror.

I am going to be doing the MAF 2 week test for the next 2 weeks so i hope to drop quite drastically, the goal of the test is to try and kick my sugar habbit. The weight should be a bonus.

Check it out here:

http://www.start2health.com/diet_twoweek.html

I keep everyone posted, and hope to see a 10lbs drop in the 2 weeks starting Jan 2nd.

t~
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spelling was spot on for Muskoka but Peterboro(ugh) was off a hair. Both awesome races and both long for my tastes (hence my punishment for failing to lose 20lbs being I have to go Oly or longer..and I am dead set against that..lol)..if you are coming up for either be sure to let me know and I'll either meet you there or recommend a B&B to stay at. Heck, anytime you're up in this neck of the woods, drop me a line and we'll make arrangements...same goes for any of the rest of you loser (and by that I mean people who are trying to lose weight) folk reading this thread. Once you cross into the Ontario border you're more than welcome to ride my coattails of hospitality.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another Kent in the challenge? Where the hell have you been for the last three weeks? Fattening yourself up to PAD your weight so your loss is more impressive? Get moving! Deadline for loss (or win...which losing is kind of winning...but I digress) is April 15 and time aint waiting for you.

Ok, April 15 it is. An alternate view (instead of padding my weight)would be that I have less time now to loose the weight. That said, picking the morning after a marathon eating day to weigh in might be a significant (and unfair ) advantage.
Quote Reply
Re: 20lb Weight loss challenge [Kent KS DU] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well then...that means you have one less excuse now doesn't it? We'll see what the scale says to you in two days time. Speaking of..yours is running out...are you out running?
Quote Reply

Prev Next