Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
2024 Ironman World Championship slots-fall races
Quote | Reply
Ironman quietly posted the Male and Female slot allocations for the 2024 World Championships for races through the rest of 2023 earlier today. The Kona slots are small. I guess they've decided that they can always retroactively award slots if they need to fill it up.

https://www.ironman.com/...2024-slot-allocation
Quote Reply
Re: 2024 Ironman World Championship slots-fall races [Gtjojo189] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gtjojo189 wrote:
Ironman quietly posted the Male and Female slot allocations for the 2024 World Championships for races through the rest of 2023 earlier today. The Kona slots are small. I guess they've decided that they can always retroactively award slots if they need to fill it up.

https://www.ironman.com/...2024-slot-allocation

I’m pretty sure the list was available for quite some time already. But yes, the number of slots per race is minimal.

Слава Україні 🇺🇦✊
Quote Reply
Re: 2024 Ironman World Championship slots-fall races [Gtjojo189] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup. It’s possible some of this has to do with deferrals from last years races, though my general expectation is that soon spots will be going to the highest bidder.

I honestly can’t blame Ironman though — they see an opportunity to increase profits and are trying to take it.

It does kill the “qualifying” allure though.
Quote Reply
Re: 2024 Ironman World Championship slots-fall races [oleks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They had the list up through races where women could still qualify for Kona. The rest of the races from September 2023 thru the end of the year look like they got updated this morning.
Quote Reply
Re: 2024 Ironman World Championship slots-fall races [oleks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i checked yesterday to see what allocation was for IMC-Penticton and it was not updated so this is fresh.

20 kona slots for 2024 IMC is accurate. It was 45 last year for male/female ... maybe even 40. I will be curious if they roll. I suspect they will. I don't hear much excitement to go to Kona in 2024 with 2500 other guys. As if the village wasn't T'd up enough during co-ed racing!

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Must be due to the deferrals. Wonder how that will affect roll downs. 20-25 slots means 2 (3 max?) for the biggest/most competitive age groups? You basically have to be a pro that hasn't turned pro yet to get one in the M25-39 range. I'm newer to triathlon and find the slot allocation stuff interesting compared to running where you hit a time barrier to qualify for things. Triathlon has more factors and a race like 70.3 Oregon is a good example against choosing a time barrier for Worlds. But it still doesn't always make sense to me when you can't guarantee field quality. I did my 1st IM last year at a competitive race. I finished just outside of slot allocation but the USAT score rating (not perfect but still) I got would have had me getting a slot at a number of other races. I was offered a Nice spot later and, by that time, I had already planned out my season/travel races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow most races have 25 for men. Guess I won’t be buying those aero wheels bc that means my age group has 3 slots and I’m usually 10th.

I’m surprised to not see one or two races with significantly more to drive turnout

I did the math using the d’hondt method on ironman Florida and that’s what I calculated for M35-39

Totaling up all the races from sept to dec gets 485 slots. Seems very low
Last edited by: Tribike53: Jul 27, 23 12:01
Quote Reply
Re: 2024 Ironman World Championship slots-fall races [Tribike53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tribike53 wrote:
Totaling up all the races from sept to dec gets 485 slots. Seems very low
Well, combine that with how desperately IM has been trying to get people to Nice, and I think it gives a pretty clear indication of just how many men who were in the position of having an option of deferring for a year to go to Kona chose to do so.
Quote Reply
Re: 2024 Ironman World Championship slots-fall races [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so wrong. they will not roll at all, some doing IMC already have a kona 2024 slot so they will not retake it, but every other guy will say yes. . keep preaching that Ironman hate been like 14 years now, do you have any other cards to play in life???

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rhys wrote:
i checked yesterday to see what allocation was for IMC-Penticton and it was not updated so this is fresh.

Speaking of fresh it appears ironman removed all the participant lists from the race webpages as well. I used to use that in my excel macro to calculate the number of slots in my age group for my upcoming races…

It appears to have been replaced by a tab called registration confirmation which links you to your active account.
Last edited by: Tribike53: Jul 27, 23 13:19
Quote Reply
Re: 2024 Ironman World Championship slots-fall races [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that's hilarious. where was i preaching IM hate in my post? I actually said the allocation was correct at 20. and I was curious if they will roll given what friends are telling me about going to kona. jesus Toth relax.

i might even race if i can get out of bed in time.

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: 2024 Ironman World Championship slots-fall races [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with you. Kona is Kona. I'm doing my first ironman in September (IMMD), and I'd love to go to Kona. If I had the day of my life, I'd take the slot in a heartbeat. Nice? Not so much. And I feel like a majority of other people agree.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Last edited by: cloy: Jul 27, 23 13:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You’re a hater!!! Haha

Go talk to a different bubble , with people that haven’t done the sport for over 15 years and done kona 7 times.

Lots of fresh racers every year that are fast and would take the spots.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
Quote Reply
Re: 2024 Ironman World Championship slots-fall races [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup Ironman also knows fresh blood is better.
And new racers will pay proper $ vs the athletes that paid $400 in 2002.

Most on this site and social media have been around 20 years so they been there done that. Wife is sick of kona trips and wants something new too.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes, i am critical of many things they have done. Hater is a stretch. I mean I keep giving them money and volunteer at their events. I even posted on social media that Messik did many things right when retirement was announced including taken time out of his day to attend canada brunch in Kona and meeting volunteers at the body marking in Kona at 5am.

and i do step outside my bubble. our tri club has many rookies. I mentored an athlete back in Ontario to her first IM a few years ago.

all that said, they really did F*** up their golden goose of Kona.

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll give them this, they're remaining committed to the split for next year.

I would've sworn they'd move everybody to Nice in 2024.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rhys wrote:
yes, i am critical of many things they have done. Hater is a stretch. I mean I keep giving them money and volunteer at their events. I even posted on social media that Messik did many things right when retirement was announced including taken time out of his day to attend canada brunch in Kona and meeting volunteers at the body marking in Kona at 5am.

and i do step outside my bubble. our tri club has many rookies. I mentored an athlete back in Ontario to her first IM a few years ago.

all that said, they really did F*** up their golden goose of Kona.

People on here have been saying move the world champs around for years. Now the same people say this above.

You want a perfect Situation in an unpredictable imperfect world. You would never be satisfied.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
25 male slots would result in outcomes very similar to the 40 slots (male and female) per race days (2016-2019). The male/female split typically was 25/15 (or 26/14).

That means the big middle aged groups (35-54) will see three or four slots per race.

As for the comments in this thread quickly accepting that IM has a right to sell slots and maximize profits, F that. Of course they do, but it’s yet another example of how they are horrible stewards of the competition they oversee.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sucks balls TBH. Ironman Cozumel 15 slots is a joke.

So I bought a product that gave me potential access to 40 slots, and now they changed this product? Without notifying me?
Quote Reply
Re: 2024 Ironman World Championship slots-fall races [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Waingro wrote:
25 male slots would result in outcomes very similar to the 40 slots (male and female) per race days (2016-2019). The male/female split typically was 25/15 (or 26/14).

That means the big middle aged groups (35-54) will see three or four slots per race.

As for the comments in this thread quickly accepting that IM has a right to sell slots and maximize profits, F that. Of course they do, but it’s yet another example of how they are horrible stewards of the competition they oversee.

I agree,
I think that this is the number. I am sure that even with a high rolldown, it will be filled easily. I am afraid that even if the price increases.

My question es: how many slots for women in Nice 2024? and which price?
Quote Reply
Re: 2024 Ironman World Championship slots-fall races [Mulen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mulen wrote:
Sucks balls TBH. Ironman Cozumel 15 slots is a joke.

So I bought a product that gave me potential access to 40 slots, and now they changed this product? Without notifying me?

I have been contemplating doing Cozumel once more. 15 slots are truly a joke, considering you regularly have 1.5-2k people there. It's simply because IM Cozumel is a licensed event, not owner by IM. IM has less interest in 'pumping' this race than some others.
Quote Reply
Re: 2024 Ironman World Championship slots-fall races [Michal_CH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
(replying to the thread)
And here we are, going from "watered down championships" to "OMG only 1 slot per AG it's impossible to qualify".

Jokes aside, I can't wait for the situation to have somewhat normalised into a predictable WC system (whatever that system will be, including rotating championship/s)
Last edited by: marcoviappiani: Jul 28, 23 1:21
Quote Reply
Re: 2024 Ironman World Championship slots-fall races [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Waingro wrote:

Seems correct: it seems that the deferral-effect (deferrals of men to 2024 who qualified for 2023) has evened up the effect that men now have all of the 2500 slots.

However, do not forget that a KQ-project for an individual generally runs over a plurality of years, such that the competition to KQ for 2024 could be harder than it was in the days of every year Kona.
And also: people are insecure about the future of Kona (will it be every two years in Kona, and will it stay in Kona at all?). rrheisler was in a post #16 surprised that Kona 2024 takes place at all...

I think there are a lot of men having Kona on their bucket list, and after the Corona years and with the insecurity of what happens after 2024, they will prepair like hell for their maybe only one chance (or for the last time if already once there)

KQ for Kona 2024 will be as difficult as never before.
Quote Reply
Re: 2024 Ironman World Championship slots-fall races [marcoviappiani] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcoviappiani wrote:
(replying to the thread)
And here we are, going from "watered down championships" to "OMG only 1 slot per AG it's impossible to qualify".

Jokes aside, I can't wait for the situation to have somewhat normalised into a predictable WC system (whatever that system will be, including rotating championship/s)

I agree, with the joke. :P

But it is not understable that Ironman WC 2023 qualifying races for women had so many more slots than for for men (in 2024).

But I think that it is the number. As there are already register athletes from previous years.
Quote Reply
Re: 2024 Ironman World Championship slots-fall races [marcoviappiani] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcoviappiani wrote:
(replying to the thread)

I'm actually OK with the number of new slots. I won't go to Kona in 2024 because I'm not good enough. I only wished it'd have been more transparent and that we didn't have a backlog of already registered carry-overs. I'll do some math and post a bit later about the overall distribution of slots between men & women and between 2023 and 2024 races etc.
Quote Reply

Prev Next