Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
2023 Bike Prices
Quote | Reply
I know we have a few industry experts in here, and I am just wondering when people consider the best time to buy a new bike. Reading around the various media sources there seems to be some concern regarding an eventual oversupply in 2023, if it is not there already.

I will probably be in the market for 2 bikes this year, a new TT and then a new all round race bike. The TT bike I have my eyes on probably won't be discounted, but I am fairly open when it comes to the race bike. Obviously the TT bike needs to be here before the season, which for me will start in May. The racing bike i am in no rush really. To be fair my current TT bike is more than serviceable, I am just considering a smaller frame size on the new, so if the value in Q2 or Q3 is going to be so much better then I can wait.
Quote Reply
Re: 2023 Bike Prices [ianmo80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You certainly won't see any MSRP's dropping. Maybe your local shop will be inclined to give you a -slightly- better deal if they have an unlimited supply available to them?
That said, I don't think you'll see any surplus happening.
Quote Reply
Re: 2023 Bike Prices [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If this turns out to be true, Canyon execs must be planning how to spend their bonuses next January, assuming they can get enough components.

And I imagine we'll see the more reputable Chinese brands start to make some inroads as well...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Things are slowing down. Normally that leads to some discounting https://road.cc/...suppliers-298285?amp
Quote Reply
Re: 2023 Bike Prices [Blacky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Blacky wrote:
Things are slowing down. Normally that leads to some discounting https://road.cc/...suppliers-298285?amp

ā€œConsidering all the headwinds in the current market environment, Giant Group has decided to manage this challenging situation with our supply chain partners by mitigating risks and conducting a proactive inventory control, with the goal to return supply chain conditions back to normal over the next few months.ā€

I really wish people could speak in plain english sometimes, but it seems heā€™s saying they have higher supply than demand right now?
Quote Reply
Re: 2023 Bike Prices [Nick2413] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup. They asked their supplier partners to share the pain by extending their payment terms. Super weird.
Quote Reply
Re: 2023 Bike Prices [Nick2413] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is one of the bigger bike chains in Australia - https://www.afr.com/...over-20221222-p5c8ce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
You certainly won't see any MSRP's dropping. Maybe your local shop will be inclined to give you a -slightly- better deal if they have an unlimited supply available to them?

Why?

Iā€™m already starting to see groupsets being sold online ~40-50% off (which is basically cost to a builder) vs last year youā€™d pay whatever since you couldnā€™t get stock. I also see bikes are on the shelves at all shops, and used bike prices seem to have dropped like crazy Vs last summer.

I personally would wait as long as possible to buy
Quote Reply
Re: 2023 Bike Prices [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Still sold out of Shimano and SRAM road groupsets in Australia. Send them down here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why not buy used? Pros closet and bike room sell some good top end bikes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Based on the Giant news, I am guessing there will be some sales in 2023, I would not buy new right now. You could probably find some great deals on used bikes as well.
Quote Reply
Re: 2023 Bike Prices [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IIRC, the Ultegra Canyon Speedmax was at $8K recently & just checked this past week & it went up to $8,500--so looks like pricing crept up a bit. But the glitter purple is so ugly & I would not buy a white bike again--own one now & collects dirt & grease stains that just won't come out and chip that show carbon underneath.
Last edited by: Rocky M: Jan 4, 23 21:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haven't Shimano stocks has been on sell advice since October?

I'm also looking for a new MTB this year, but will wait until at least September I think.

For me there are too many signs the bubble is going pop. The Giant news, China starting to relent on zero COVID policy, big S cutting athletes, parts returning in stock at online retailers with discounts again, the news of overstock of entry level bikes across the board and no demand, and the long term enthusiasts, like us on these forums, saying they won't buy anything at current prices, a bit like a financial analyst saying the stock is overbought and due a correction.
Last edited by: jn46: Jan 5, 23 0:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:

It is not about MSRP but about general price of bike thingies. I'd been doing some kinda.. intercontinental commerce(S korea to North america or vice versa) and always watching ebay.com and ebay.co.uk.
The price of grouppo is dropping (in other words, getting normal like before Covid) like crazy nowadays.

Stay home, stay healthy.
Quote Reply
Re: 2023 Bike Prices [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I still think the supply issue is enough that the ā€œIā€™ll wait for best priceā€ is likely going to not be there at the best price you want to buy it at if your waiting on specific model(s). Ie- if you ā€œwaitā€ for the bike you WANT at the price you WANT to pay, I donā€™t think youā€™ll get that. Youā€™ll have to settle with your 2nd/3rd/4th bike choice.

(I sell bikes for a living and we have discounted models in some bikes and other bikes are already sold out in certain sizes for rest of ā€˜23).

For some reason our sales have gone through roof in new 23 inventory even though we have 10-20% discounted bikes sitting right beside said new model.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Jan 8, 23 5:18
Quote Reply
Re: 2023 Bike Prices [jn46] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jn46 wrote:
Haven't Shimano stocks has been on sell advice since October?

I'm also looking for a new MTB this year, but will wait until at least September I think.

For me there are too many signs the bubble is going pop. The Giant news, China starting to relent on zero COVID policy, big S cutting athletes, parts returning in stock at online retailers with discounts again, the news of overstock of entry level bikes across the board and no demand, and the long term enthusiasts, like us on these forums, saying they won't buy anything at current prices, a bit like a financial analyst saying the stock is overbought and due a correction.

i'm having the same thoughts, and for a while now expected that i could cash in and get a new bike during the post-covid glut.

on the other hand, there's general inflation pressure. so costs of operating for everyone (from manufacturers to retail) have gone up, and if people are tightening their wallets demand might shrink too.

don't know yet.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: 2023 Bike Prices [Peter Ghimme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The question was '2023 Bike Prices'

Not 'whats the best deal on mail order parts'.

MSRP on bikes is still sky high, not dropping. Now maybe you are assuming your LBS is gonna start offering steep discounts off complete bikes? But I have not seen this happening for anyone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please update us on your Sept purchase.

Iā€™ll bet $20 your purchase in Sept is not going to be the model you want now. Which may or may not matter, but if youā€™re a self described enthusiast Iā€™m betting you have your eye on a specific model etc.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Jan 8, 23 5:32
Quote Reply
Re: 2023 Bike Prices [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fortunately I have a number of different brands models in mind, so a bit more chance perhaps. One is already at 20% discount, another has just popped up secondhand on Facebook marketplace. See what happens, in no rush, even if it means wait until '24.
Across different disciplines I used to be a new bike (or frameset for self build) every year, but I'm one of those who has drawn a line about current prices.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Curious you want a new bike (or maybe you'll wait til '24 as you just mentioned), but what's not letting you pull the trigger on the 20% off bike? Your going to wait it out til it's 30% off? I understand the drawing the line, but if a bike is 20% doesn't that then meet your price goals basically (I'm suggesting that 20% off bike likely wont be around in Sept for it to be 30% off)?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Jan 8, 23 6:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Giant stores in South Korea are in "wartime" nowadays. According to some dealers, Giant S.Korea branch ordered its local agencies to cut their budget and prepare for contingency plan.
You may not know this because it just happened nowadays in far east.

Many stores are trapped in double trap. High tier extravagant bikes = no stock, Low tier or mid range bike = got some bubbles due to the disease and people closing their wallet.
I think there will be tons of new listings on court auction as many dealers, stores, distributors will be bankrupt in next winter thus lowering "the real market prices" not, MSRP.

Stay home, stay healthy.
Last edited by: Peter Ghimme: Jan 8, 23 6:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Partly because I have other financial commitments at the moment building a pain cave in the garden, more so because my better half just raised her eyebrows when I suggested it, full permission not granted (yet....)
Quote Reply
Re: 2023 Bike Prices [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Why not buy used? Pros closet and bike room sell some good top end bikes

got me a 2018 Speed Concept DA mechanical with Flow 60 wheels for $3500

I am spending 1k on di2 used and another k for a disc and I have a top of the line bike for 5k

The amount of great deals on used gear out there is mind numbing right now!

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Last edited by: LuisDF: Jan 8, 23 7:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha, fair enough. As I said in the other thread on buying an entry level when he said he bought it (he had a specific budget)...."happy wife, happy life" post purchase?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
Please update us on your Sept purchase.

Iā€™ll bet $20 your purchase in Sept is not going to be the model you want now. Which may or may not matter, but if youā€™re a self described enthusiast Iā€™m betting you have your eye on a specific model etc.

Update- didn't have to wait until Sept and have just ordered an Epic Evo comp with 33% discount. Not meant as an I told you so post as markets are different (I'm UK based), but we are starting to see the return of the discounts to make way for new model years. Got to choose between three that were on my shortlist (Santa Cruz, Giant, Spesh).Fairly good availability of discounted mid range , but still a big shortage of TT across the board.
Quote Reply

Prev Next