Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2021 Boston Marathon Postponed
Quote | Reply
Not a surprise but still a bummer. Postponed until "at least the fall of 2021" but no date confirmed yet.

https://www.baa.org/...not-take-place-april

Quote Reply
Re: 2021 Boston Marathon Postponed [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea not surprising. I figured it would just be postponed/cancelled from the fact that no one really has been able to qualify this year. Do you know what they did with 2020 registrants? Was it "tough cookies you need to requalify" or were they allowing deferrals?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It will be interesting to see how they handle 'qualifying times' becuase technically they expire.
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 Boston Marathon Postponed [FuzzyRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FuzzyRunner wrote:
Yea not surprising. I figured it would just be postponed/cancelled from the fact that no one really has been able to qualify this year. Do you know what they did with 2020 registrants? Was it "tough cookies you need to requalify" or were they allowing deferrals?

Yeah - SOL. At least we got our registration fee back.

Quote | Reply
That's why London put their 2021 race straight to October 2021 (usually in April) as unfortunately a further postponement was likely if set up for April.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The problem is that there are very few races to requalify in. There was a race in Omaha about a month ago, but because it was put on by HITS - they made the course about a mile long which did not help with qualifications.

My opinion - races will happen after May of next year. But yeah for Boston they will need to allow folks time to qualify again.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Qualification is time is an easy problem to fix... include the race that were used for 2020 qualifications.

The real problem is crowd management in a world with only a fraction of the population will have been vaccinated.
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 Boston Marathon Postponed [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:

My opinion - races will happen after May.

Pretty sure a lot of people said the same thing earlier this year.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Oct 28, 20 17:09
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 Boston Marathon Postponed [darkhorsetri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You had to requalify. Those that ran NYC, chicago, etc. In late fall 2019 got lucky as they were able to use that time for 2021. It'll be interesting to see what they do if they can 2021.

Like another poster, I agree it's sad news but much better to hear 6 months out rather than a month away.
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 Boston Marathon Postponed [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
alex_korr wrote:

My opinion - races will happen after May.

Pretty sure a lot of people said the same thing earlier this year.

One of these things is not like the others though.

Quote Reply
Re: 2021 Boston Marathon Postponed [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:

Yes, this one is your guess instead of someone else's. Lol
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 Boston Marathon Postponed [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
alex_korr wrote:

Yes, this one is your guess instead of someone else's. Lol

Nah, my mouth was not spoken from but spoken through.

Of course it is my guess. Duh.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FuzzyRunner wrote:

They did not allow you to defer, but they are allowing you to use the time that you used to register for 2020 to apply to run the 2021 race.

So, even if there are very few other races that can qualify people for 2021, there will likely be a lot of applicants that were registered to run Boston in 2020.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FuzzyRunner wrote:

I ran an actual marathon (Last Chance BQ Grand Rapids on Sept. 12) and my 3:14 is 11 min under 3:25 qual time, so that should more than do it.

Wasn't planning to try to enter 21... wondering what this will do to 22 or 23, and how they extend qual times (or not)... considering fall of 21 not even guaranteed... or even likely?
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 Boston Marathon Postponed [Dan Funk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With probably even more people wanting to run Boston I wonder how far the standard will drop below the qualifying times.
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 Boston Marathon Postponed [Dan Funk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in the same boat as you. Didn't make the cut for the 2020 race after my first time qualifying, but was able to get a sub-3 and 5 min cushion in January (yes, I know it's not even a humble brag, but let me hang my hat on something from 2020). Hopefully the time is good to get me in and also still be valid when a window does open for registration.
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 Boston Marathon Postponed [trigirl244] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I qualified and was registered for New York which was supposed to be this weekend. I chose the complimentary future marathon option to keep my qualification. It did state:

* If you select complimentary entry for a future marathon (option 2), you will participate in a future marathon selection process in 2021 to choose the year for your complimentary entry (either 2021, 2022, or 2023). You may not be guaranteed your preferred year due to potential limitations to future field sizes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 2 cents is that marathons like Boston, New York, London will all happen again when pro sports teams are allowed to play in front of filled stadiums. Roughly speaking you're congregating the same number of people with public transit in a concentrated area, so as soon as big time pro sports can happen in front of packed stadiums, we're good to go! As there is more money pushing to fill stadiums, pro sports will fight publicly health authorities quite actively to make that happen...bigger athletic events will be able to follow. The other category in this boat is business conventions. There will be pressure to bring them back.

Based on that, I think we're in for the long haul for large marathons. April feels a bit early given the volume. I think large triathlons have a chance earlier than large marathons.
Quote Reply