Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2019 Swissman Xtreme Tri images
Quote | Reply
It rained and thundered and yes the swim was shortened. But still, over 18,000 feet of climbing. :-)

https://www.slowtwitch.com/..._Swissman__7323.html
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Swissman Xtreme Tri images [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
It rained and thundered and yes the swim was shortened. But still, over 18,000 feet of climbing. :-)

https://www.slowtwitch.com/..._Swissman__7323.html

Thanks for the story, it was a hard but beautiful day and we got to experience all kinds weather and conditions as is appropriate for an extreme tri.

Sami, 13.30, 23rd

ps. Swim was more like 1.3 km even when measured on the map, not that it matters on such a long day, but you know "triathletes"
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Swissman Xtreme Tri images [markko] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is an awesome time
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Swissman Xtreme Tri images [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First of all, this race's scenery is epic, legendary, all the words you can think of. The Swiss Alps are drop dead gorgeous and a truly fabulous place to ride a bicycle. The race organization was also top notch.

Just a data point for anyone who searches for Swissman and runs across this...

3xIM (last 2013) with best of ~13hrs
Celtman 2018 low course ~17hrs
Canadaman 2018 high course ~20hrs
Swissman DNF at T2 because the bike was ~12hrs total (~10.5 moving), and even though I made the T2 bike cutoff would then have needed to run 20.5 net uphill miles in 3 hours to make the main run cutoff. This was with a shortened swim too (~30min vs ~90), so a bonus hour available on the bike.

No real valid excuses either, bunch of weak ones:
-supporter got lost once and I waited ~18 min
-pouring rain for lots of day meant wet unsafe steep descents with lots of traffic on a Saturday in the middle of Tour de Suisse which used the same roads the day prior and day after, and wearing my brake pads down to the nubs, only hitting ~35mph as top speed instead of the 50 or 60 others boast
-lots of putting on gloves/jacket/toe covers for descents, taking them all back off to climb
-never walked the bike, just lots of 6mph riding a triple (30x28), seemed comparable to everyone riding compact (34x32)
-broken spoke at ~105mi of 112 took a few min to get sorted (probably a good time to break a spoke if you're going to)
-lots of peeing stops, no real cramping or anything, nutrition wasn't an issue

Edge 1030/Vector had me at 12,211ft climbed over 112.5mi, 202W avg per strava, 228W weighted avg per strava, 250W sustained for each of the climbs (95min, 95min, 40min), ~195lbs (oh look there's the problem)

So obviously I'm a BOP type, but that makes this particular course's math not work. Would have needed to arrive at least an hour earlier to have a realistic shot, and if the swim had full length, that would have meant needing 2 extra hours. Wasn't that high a DNF rate (~10%), most just didn't make the run cutoffs. I'm actually signed up for Icon as well because I got into that before winning this lottery slot, but given that course is more difficult and I don't have a supporter planned yet, wondering if it's worth the trip...

But for this one, zero regrets. Got everything I could have wanted from it minus the finish. And was even able to enjoy the walk behind waterfall and train ride up to the finish line hotel in the daytime with my wife after turning in the tracker, enjoying more gorgeousness. One random fun fact, they normally give different shirts to DNFs, but this year they apparently failed to print or failed to have available said shirts, so we got the same as the real finishers, which I don't feel good about, and will be attempting a DIY removal of that small word on the sleeve, as I was far from earning it.
Last edited by: thndrmatt: Jun 25, 19 13:31
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Swissman Xtreme Tri images [thndrmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just got the email that I was accepted for SwissMan 2022. So stoked...I've been trying to get in for years.

Now the reality setting-in...how to prepare. I've done one IM (Tremblant 2018) and CanadaMan twice (2019, 2021), but SwissMan is going to be very different. Those SUPER long climbs vs CanadaMan's neverending punchy 18% climbs. I've done the Jungfrau Marathon before, so I don't think the run will surprise me.

I'm not exactly a lightweight, either...will have to skip the turkey this Christmas. 😬

Any advice??
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Swissman Xtreme Tri images [christianlee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
christianlee wrote:
Just got the email that I was accepted for SwissMan 2022. So stoked...I've been trying to get in for years.

Now the reality setting-in...how to prepare. I've done one IM (Tremblant 2018) and CanadaMan twice (2019, 2021), but SwissMan is going to be very different. Those SUPER long climbs vs CanadaMan's neverending punchy 18% climbs. I've done the Jungfrau Marathon before, so I don't think the run will surprise me.

I'm not exactly a lightweight, either...will have to skip the turkey this Christmas. 😬

Any advice??

First, congratulations. Swissman is by far my best triathlon experience, mainly because you are doing it together with family and/or friends. So enjoy the planning with your team. Also worth to pay some attention to that, eating, clothing etc. It is a longer day than normal, for me about 4-4.5h longer than normal IM.

Bike is great, long climbs, but not extremely steep, typical alpine main pass roads, 6-8%, max maybe 10% or so. The first one, Gotthard, is cobbled, so grade could be effectively a bit steeper, but it is just such an awesome climb, you wont notice, just enjoy!

As reference, I rode with my IM power and ended up about 2h45min longer than my typical IM bike leg. I would ride road-bike everytime, just much more enjoyable for proper climbing and descending, for me at least. Note, descends are fast, long and have very deep ditches :) . In the end, the time doesnt really matter, unless you're trying to win it.

Run you know. I had my wife on a mountain bike carrying food and liquids up to Grindelwald, it was great fun doing it together. Although, it is a long and tough day for the support as well and at the beginnng of the run it is very steep, so she was actually really struggling with energy to keep up. Same towards the end. So should not be underestimated.

Also the final climb from Grindelwald is very steep (Jungfrau marathon goes from Wengen side?) especially at the beginning, but you're almost done, so it is enjoyable as well. I had paced the race well and I think I passed about 10-15 people on the final climb (9k or so).

Good luck, it will be great!
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Swissman Xtreme Tri images [markko] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’d second the road bike. I live not so far away and was driving over the Grimsel on race day several years ago, completely by coincidence. The weather up there was ropey, misty and snowing, and anyone on Tri bikes with aero helmets with visors were having a nightmare!!!

Good luck, you’re all mental 😂
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looking at the route, seems to go over Gothard pass, that's a 45km climb, with lots and lots of cobbles. Then down Gothard to Hospental - Pretty nice descent if its not too windy. Will massively favour riders who know how to to descend. Over Furka, which is a big climb. Down Furka, first part is technical, the next 10km very very fast if you have balls. Turn right to climb up Grimsel. It will be miserable at the top of Grimsel, it always is, In late June there will still be lots of snow next to the road, and expect temperatures close to zero degrees C, probably be foggy, and if you are unlucky, will be freezing fog. Grimsel will be a 35km descent, you will need gloves and warm layer. Some sections are technical, others fast. Final Climb looks like Gross Scheidegg..... the nicest climb in Switzerland, simply stunning. Descent to is narrow and technical, watch out for farmer boys in their Subaru's.

This is my playground in the summer. Only a madman would do it on a TT bike. Road bike is fine, and rim brakes are fine IF you know how to descend a mountain with carbon rims and rim brakes.... they work fine, however, if you run the brakes you will fry your rims. Disc brakes are good, but if weather is bad, and/or you aren't great at descending make sure you have new pads fitted before the start, as this route will eat pads.

The 45km climb feels like it will never end and the cobbles will make your shoulders ache. At least there are no cobbles on the descent.

Finally if you think that Swissman is extreme, have a look at Triverest.....now that is an Epic triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Swissman Xtreme Tri images [mattsurf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks so much for the insight.

I never gave any consideration to taking my TT bike...I get that 100% makes sense to take road bike. That said, my road bike is equipped with rim brakes, so I'm considering renting a disc bike over there instead of hauling mine over. I know that it's not ideal, since it won't be perfectly fitted, but everything will be a trade-off aside from shelling-out $6k for a new road bike.

The weather and the long bike climbs are what I'm stressed about. Having done CanadaMan twice, I'm no stranger to 16+hr days. There is just literally nowhere that I can go in Canada to climb for 90+ minutes straight, or do technical descents that are anything close to those Alpine passes. I guess it's lots of big gear work on the Kickr this winter.

As far as descending goes, I'm not a total pussy, but I don't have brass balls either. That said, I do tend to get some extra courage on race days, knowing that every application of the brakes means more work later.
Last edited by: christianlee: Nov 26, 21 7:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What size bike do you use?

I may be able to help out, my hobby is building bikes, so often have a few around. If I know you are coming to do Swissman I may be able to sort one out
Last edited by: mattsurf: Nov 26, 21 8:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swiss descents tend to be on excellent tarmac, with constant radius bends and nice camber on the bends. As a result, people who know them can push outrageous speeds through the corners. Then you have the long straight sections, its quite common to hit 60mph (100kph) but takes a degree of nerves
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mattsurf wrote:
What size bike do you use?

I may be able to help out, my hobby is building bikes, so often have a few around. If I know you are coming to do Swissman I may be able to sort one out

Whoa...seriously? I'm currenly riding a 54-56cm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mattsurf wrote:
Swiss descents tend to be on excellent tarmac, with constant radius bends and nice camber on the bends. As a result, people who know them can push outrageous speeds through the corners. Then you have the long straight sections, its quite common to hit 60mph (100kph) but takes a degree of nerves

Dear god...I think the fastest I've hit on a descent is 79kph and I pooped my bibs a little.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Specialized Sworks Tarmac SL6 Disc 54cm. Do you also need a partner for the climb at the end?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mattsurf wrote:
I have a Specialized Sworks Tarmac SL6 Disc 54cm. Do you also need a partner for the climb at the end?

Would you seriously let me use it? That's crazy. Are you close by?

I have a friend (actually my sister's ex boyfriend from like 30 years ago) who lives in Geneva who offered a bike, too, but it's more than a bit out of the way.

As for the climb, my sister (different sister) is going to do it with me. She did the Jungfrau marathon with me in 2016 and she has supported me for both CanadaMan races. The deal is l have to pace her at UTMB if she gets in.

That's crazy nice to offer to a complete stranger, though!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few years ago, when I had first started doing triathlons, I was in business in the US for a month. I had a weekend in Boston and discovered that there was a triathlon locally, if I remember it was the Yomechas tri. I sent a message to the organisers, and within a day they had sorted me out with all the kit... I was lent a Kestrel TT bike, that had a 3rd place in Kona 20 years earlier. I came 3rd... my first triathlon podium (and first time on a TT bike). Ever since then I have repaid that kindness many times over.... so in answer to your question, yes I would be happy to sort you out with a bike. I am close to Lucern, so convenient for Swissman. If you are coming 2 weeks earlier, we have a local triathlon (Olympic distance)... it's very famous in Switzerland as it is flat and very fast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like said before use a road bike, be prepared for 2 long climbs (for me furka was harder than gotthard because it seems like a never ending climb) and one shorter grimsel climb. Weather is interesting, ascona 20°C and more, on the passes close to 0°C.
From my xtri experience (norseman, swissman and janosik) it is important to have 2 supporters. And that they don‘t miss the right exit on the highway to T2, like my team. In the training my longest climbs were not longer than 60min and it was ok for me (finished about P100 and before 21:00).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's incredible...you find that again and again in the endurance sports community. I hope that never changes. Unfortunately, I don't think I will be able to go 2 weeks beforehand (won't be able to get that much time off at once), but my wife is considering doing the 70.3 in Rapperswil-Jona the weekend before.

I will have to get your contact info to make arrangements. I've been stressing about what to do for a bike, and you may have just saved me a giant nightmare!
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Swissman Xtreme Tri images [marcrie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcrie wrote:
Like said before use a road bike, be prepared for 2 long climbs (for me furka was harder than gotthard because it seems like a never ending climb) and one shorter grimsel climb. Weather is interesting, ascona 20°C and more, on the passes close to 0°C.
From my xtri experience (norseman, swissman and janosik) it is important to have 2 supporters. And that they don‘t miss the right exit on the highway to T2, like my team. In the training my longest climbs were not longer than 60min and it was ok for me (finished about P100 and before 21:00).

The weather is crazy there for sure. I guess the idea is layers, layers, layers? I will be happy with any finish - 21:00 would be absolute best case scenario (and a tall order). My sister (supporter) always have a joke about #noheadlamps, so I'd love to finish before dark. I achieved #noheadlamps my first CanadaMan in 2019, but unfortunately I wasn't able to at CanadaMan this year, because the race was delayed until October due to COVID, when the sun goes down around 17h00. Haha.

I already have 2 supporters, my sister, who will be doing the entire run section with me, and my wife, who will be driving and managing my nutrition and gear. I have heard of a few people missing that turn...as long as you didn't follow them, I assume it was OK? I heard of one person making a wrong turn and going 20miles the wrong way...yikes.
Last edited by: christianlee: Nov 26, 21 14:02
Quote Reply