Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2018 ultrarunning thread [TeamBarenaked] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just registered for the Bighorn 50k. My first time in the ultra world.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 ultrarunning thread [ChrisT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Big Horn is absolutly awesome, you will enjoy.....fantastic support.....step up distance there next......you will like the bacon aid station
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChrisT wrote:

I registered for that race this morning, too. It will be my third time running it. It is a great race.

I am also doing a 6 hour race called the Vertical Playground in April. You get a trail map and wear the race-issued GPS. You have to check in at different spots, but other than that set your our course with the goal to see who can climb the most. It seems like an interesting challenge.
Last edited by: happyscientist: Jan 5, 18 5:48
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 ultrarunning thread [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kenney wrote:
Big Horn is absolutly awesome, you will enjoy.....fantastic support.....step up distance there next......you will like the bacon aid station

What’s not to like about bacon!
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 ultrarunning thread [happyscientist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
happyscientist wrote:
ChrisT wrote:

I registered for that race this morning, too. It will be my third time running it. It is a great race.

I am also doing a 6 hour race called the Vertical Playground in April. You get a trail map and wear the race-issued GPS. You have to check in at different spots, but other than that set your our course with the goal to see who can climb the most. It seems like an interesting challenge.

Yikes that vertical challenge sounds like torture.

Any suggestions on hotels/campgrounds for the Bighorn?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has anyone ever run the Zion 50K from Ultra Adventures? Would be my first ultra.

2016 Specialized Shiv Pro Race 1x
2015 Specialized Venge
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your best bet will be sheriden. 15 , 20 min drive. Between all rhe races everything will be booked already in Dayton.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 ultrarunning thread [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kenney wrote:
Your best bet will be sheriden. 15 , 20 min drive. Between all rhe races everything will be booked already in Dayton.

Thanks. I booked a room in Sheridan, but may decide to pitch a tent in Dayton. Some of my wife’s friends mentioned the lodge by the start. I’ve stayed there on sled trips back a decade ago, But then you have find a ride back up the hill after. I would rather ride the bus in the morning and be close to the river and beer after the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hotels in that area are very limited. If you won't have anyone with you, I would stay in Sheridan and take the bus up the mountain. I think that last year the high school in Dayton was allowing camping with use of their showers. If you have someone who can drive your car down the mountain, you could stay at any one of the three lodges within a few miles of the start (Bear Lodge and Elk View would be the best choices). We camp at the North Tongue River campground. Owen Creek is also close. Definitely get reservations. I doubt this will surprise you, but some of the roads can still be closed in June, so you want to stay near 14 (paved and plowed year round) and the campgrounds on dirt roads. Alt 14 should be open.

I grew up there and will be going back to visit my family, so if you have any questions, just ask in this thread or send me a PM. The weather is unpredictable, but the scenery is spectacular. Last year, the wildflowers put on one of the best shows I have ever seen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a great idea.
I was going to sign up for the 100, but it kills the summer to recover.
You will enjoy, and I bet you do not leave the ultra world after
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 ultrarunning thread [happyscientist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
happyscientist wrote:
Hotels in that area are very limited. If you won't have anyone with you, I would stay in Sheridan and take the bus up the mountain. I think that last year the high school in Dayton was allowing camping with use of their showers. If you have someone who can drive your car down the mountain, you could stay at any one of the three lodges within a few miles of the start (Bear Lodge and Elk View would be the best choices). We camp at the North Tongue River campground. Owen Creek is also close. Definitely get reservations. I doubt this will surprise you, but some of the roads can still be closed in June, so you want to stay near 14 (paved and plowed year round) and the campgrounds on dirt roads. Alt 14 should be open.

I grew up there and will be going back to visit my family, so if you have any questions, just ask in this thread or send me a PM. The weather is unpredictable, but the scenery is spectacular. Last year, the wildflowers put on one of the best shows I have ever seen.

Great info. Thank you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2017 - La Cuesta 50k, Nine Trails, and Born to Run 50k.
2018 - Sean O'Brien 100k and Nine Trails
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just reread my post--AVOID the campgrounds on dirt roads. Slight difference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 50k trail ultra tomorrow in NJ. Cold. Snowy. It will probably suck. I'll report back after.

~~~~~~~~~
Empire Tri Coach
Team Gatorade Endurance
USATF Coach | NYRR Distance Pacer
Dad of twins
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 ultrarunning thread [Mendeldave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh fuck! Good luck! Survive well

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm looking at the NY North Face 50miler in May --who's done that one? Any thoughts?

~~~~~~~~~
Empire Tri Coach
Team Gatorade Endurance
USATF Coach | NYRR Distance Pacer
Dad of twins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was going to do that race tomorrow but decided to do the February race instead. I have done the north face half marathon 2 years ago and the 50k last year. I signed up for the 50 miler this May as well. Course is pretty typical for the area, lots of rocks and roots, shorter punchier climbs. Last year it poured the day before and during the race to go along with 40 degree temps, was pretty brutal conditions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm also thinking about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2018 will be my first foray into ultra, doing a 6h race in October. Mostly doing very hilly races this year so will have good strength. Hoping for 70+k

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My first ultra (50k) is Jan 7. Rock and roots in Ohio. Going in slightly injured, hoping for the best.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 ultrarunning thread [CBJFan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm signed up for the Barkley Fall Classic. It's a 50k on the same terrain as the "Barkley Marathons" but no where near the same. It is still very tough because it's put on by the same guy (Laz).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Found myself hitting the payment button to register for the Squamish 50k. I'm sure if I decide I love it I'll be back registering for their 50mile/50km weekend the year following!

Given that Squamish is in the Coast Mountains, then out here in Alberta I'll be scratching around for some decent places to do my elevation training. Will be good fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Back to year of Ultras after IMAZ. In for Lake Sonoma and waiting for the Waldo 100K lottery to open.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 ultrarunning thread [slowmark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FInished my first 50K today. Short version...trail running is damn hard and punishing. I was 40 minutes slower than what I thought I could, I am so sore I can’t walk tonite. What a blast. Rocks and roots, Lewis center Ohio (Columbus area). Great event and well done by the race organizers.

Race started at 8am at 5 degrees. It did warm up thu the day, finishing in low 20’s, just cold. I went into race fighting some nagging foot and leg injuries and sure enough m6 right calf cramps solid at mile 3. I massage it out and it held up all day but I had to baby it, which took its toll on my other leg and back.

Great fun, I think I will try it again soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What pace do you do most of your runs when training for ultras?
Quote Reply

Prev Next