Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
2018 CrossFit Games "Crit" and Marathon Row
Quote | Reply
I know how a lot of you feel about CrossFit, so I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet. It was just announced today that they will be having a "criterium" on Wednesday. It seems more like a glorified road race with 1200ish meter circuit, 10 laps. 40 riders at a time. Should be interesting to watch at the least.

Then later that day they row a full 42,195 meters.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 CrossFit Games "Crit" and Marathon Row [zak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
40 people on a 1.2k course that don't regularly ride in close quarters could get ugly real quick.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 CrossFit Games "Crit" and Marathon Row [offpiste.reese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No major injuries at IMTX...I'd say that they will be fine!

Ask me how much I love my Kiwami LD Aero Trisuit
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This should be in the lavender room.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 CrossFit Games "Crit" and Marathon Row [offpiste.reese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
offpiste.reese wrote:
40 people on a 1.2k course that don't regularly ride in close quarters could get ugly real quick.

My thoughts as well. I’m interested in watching

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
offpiste.reese wrote:

Creatine prevents road rash
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zak wrote:
I know how a lot of you feel about CrossFit, so I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet. It was just announced today that they will be having a "criterium" on Wednesday. It seems more like a glorified road race with 1200ish meter circuit, 10 laps. 40 riders at a time. Should be interesting to watch at the least.

Then later that day they row a full 42,195 meters.

I was watching a Crossfit doco on Netflix last night and they had a RSR. What's interesting is they don't give her run or swim times. Just little snippets showing them running in slowmotion or sprinting to the finish. I'm very curious as to what speed they run at. One guy jogged out of transition barely faster than walking pace... #fittestintheworld
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Deleted my prior post after doing a google search.

So I guess these games are going on this week...and this was just announced today as more of a surprise? I guess that's how they do the CF games?

Anyway...I have to assume they will all be on a fleet of the same rental bikes and using flat pedals. I also have to assume they will all be wearing standard CF clothing...so nobody shows up in a skin suit? Should be interesting. Couldn't see the course that the guy was describing, but from what I could tell it wasn't a simple oval and non technical

"there is a high probability of crashing...don't crash" LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UjFL5czGiA
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 CrossFit Games "Crit" and Marathon Row [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just found this on youtube. Essentially an offroad sprint tri...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTF3oTlZysE

I'm sure this has been on ST before, but I haven't seen it. I want to hate so hard, but I can't do a quarter of the number of pull ups these people do...

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 CrossFit Games "Crit" and Marathon Row [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
One guy jogged out of transition barely faster than walking pace... #fittestintheworld

Can you do a *single* muscle up?

Quote Reply
Re: 2018 CrossFit Games "Crit" and Marathon Row [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
zedzded wrote:
One guy jogged out of transition barely faster than walking pace... #fittestintheworld

[/url]]

fuck no. But I don't call myself "fittest in the world". They'd be better off ditching the cardio stuff as it doesn't do much for the credibility of their sport, better just to stick to weights and lifting heavy stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
zedzded wrote:

Better than most of them can pass a drug test....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
fuck no. But I don't call myself "fittest in the world". They'd be better off ditching the cardio stuff as it doesn't do much for the credibility of their sport, better just to stick to weights and lifting heavy stuff.

I need them to keep the cardio, though! Big cardio days are the only time I Rx the WOD in my local Box. Usually they try to hide me in the corner as I scale down to about 50% of the women's weights.

But give me a big cardio day like a 10K row and TRAIL IS WODZILLA BITCHES! Only day I get respect and can smugly go through my post-WOD stretching while they're laboring through the row or bike.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 CrossFit Games "Crit" and Marathon Row [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:

Yeah, there's that. But we've got Moats, who, alone, should make us sort of whistle and walk away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah they always have a surprise event. Last year was "cyclocross." I'm not a fan of them adding random sports, which they don't understand/appreciate, and claiming they are the "fittest."

Looks like they are using Trek, one of the sponsors, road bikes with clipless pedals. I saw this on a IG posting. It's interesting that they doing it by the Alliant center, which the IMWI bike course passes through.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
ggeiger wrote:

Yeah, there's that. But we've got Moats, who, alone, should make us sort of whistle and walk away.

True, But I think he got SENT away.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
offpiste.reese wrote:

Nah, course isn't really a crit. In fact part of it goes though the same route IMWI takes going out of town, its hardly a critical course, but its a loop with wide turns. They are doing a rolling start not a mass start so it will be very similar to the first 2 miles of IMWI. If triathletes can navigate that area in aero bars I am sure they will be fine on their road bikes.

Im surprised my the marathon row with a time cap of 4 hours. One thing CrossFit has done really well that triathlon is struggling with is making their events high energy, fast paced, and active. This marathon row will be quite boring to watch if they even open it up to a spectator field. I would imagine they will probably have another stuff going in in the area at the same time.

I do appreciate how they use the Madison endurance culture and mix it in their events, obviously they are not as fast as triathletes, cyclists or runners at the top of the sport. Some of them do have 5k's that many on ST couldn't touch (18-19 minutes) but are definitely far from top of the field in a 5k. But they can crush any triathlete is every other single event.

Speaking of, what is everyones definition of "fit"? Do you tie it to aerobic endurance, general athleticism, mix of strength and endurance?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.instagram.com/p/BloP3Xflt5I/?taken-by=sarasigmunds

This image already says enough in my opinion..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jason N wrote:
Deleted my prior post after doing a google search.

So I guess these games are going on this week...and this was just announced today as more of a surprise? I guess that's how they do the CF games?

Anyway...I have to assume they will all be on a fleet of the same rental bikes and using flat pedals. I also have to assume they will all be wearing standard CF clothing...so nobody shows up in a skin suit? Should be interesting. Couldn't see the course that the guy was describing, but from what I could tell it wasn't a simple oval and non technical

"there is a high probability of crashing...don't crash" LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UjFL5czGiA

You assumed wrong. Crossfit has partnered with Trek, so they were all fit on shoes & road bikes today and shown how to clip in (this should be interesting). They must wear gear provided to them at the start of the games which is marked with their name & number.

There will be at least a crash or 2...
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 CrossFit Games "Crit" and Marathon Row [CU427] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CU427 wrote:
offpiste.reese wrote:

Nah, course isn't really a crit. In fact part of it goes though the same route IMWI takes going out of town, its hardly a critical course, but its a loop with wide turns. They are doing a rolling start not a mass start so it will be very similar to the first 2 miles of IMWI. If triathletes can navigate that area in aero bars I am sure they will be fine on their road bikes.

Im surprised my the marathon row with a time cap of 4 hours. One thing CrossFit has done really well that triathlon is struggling with is making their events high energy, fast paced, and active. This marathon row will be quite boring to watch if they even open it up to a spectator field. I would imagine they will probably have another stuff going in in the area at the same time.

I do appreciate how they use the Madison endurance culture and mix it in their events, obviously they are not as fast as triathletes, cyclists or runners at the top of the sport. Some of them do have 5k's that many on ST couldn't touch (18-19 minutes) but are definitely far from top of the field in a 5k. But they can crush any triathlete is every other single event.

Speaking of, what is everyones definition of "fit"? Do you tie it to aerobic endurance, general athleticism, mix of strength and endurance?

For me it's a probably a mix of "aerobic endurance, general athleticism". I don't associate lifting heavy objects as being fit. I think if you're going to claim your sport as being "fittest in the world" you need to, at the very least, have an OK running ability. It's not a good look having these massive guys lumbering along at 5.30min/km pace or whatever. I think the sport has the potential to be quite cool, if they placed more emphasis on the aerobic stuff. Having some half-arsed cyclo-cross event and then switching to weights for 90% of the comp, it seems pointless. And they need to simplify some of the stages, handstand walk is getting a bit whacky.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 CrossFit Games "Crit" and Marathon Row [hubcaps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hubcaps wrote:
Yeah they always have a surprise event. Last year was "cyclocross." I'm not a fan of them adding random sports, which they don't understand/appreciate, and claiming they are the "fittest."

Yeah I agree it just looks shit. Talented athletes doing something they're not trained to do. They just end up looking like gumbys. Keep in 100% weights or split it evenly aerobic/weights/dexterity. Design it so an endurance athlete could still compete, not necessarily win, but have a good crack. Perhaps similar in a way to a decathlon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:

I was watching a Crossfit doco on Netflix last night and they had a RSR. What's interesting is they don't give her run or swim times. Just little snippets showing them running in slowmotion or sprinting to the finish. I'm very curious as to what speed they run at. One guy jogged out of transition barely faster than walking pace... #fittestintheworld

The RSR was 1.5mile run/500 meter swim/1.5mile run

The male winner had a time of 28:45
The female winner had a time of 28:45, with 2nd coming in at 28:46

Not factoring in transitions, a 20min run and 8min 500 meter swim would be solid times for the size & overall capability of these athletes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find it curious that the coordinator is adding in longer and longer workouts each year. A 3-4 hour row is a total different monster for these guys/girls that specialize in much shorter workouts. I'm wondering if he's trying to achieve some validation or just wants to make them suffer?
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 CrossFit Games "Crit" and Marathon Row [Mugen_EP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If those are legit distances, totally respectable. That's a lot of beef to haul.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
zedzded wrote:

I need them to keep the cardio, though! Big cardio days are the only time I Rx the WOD in my local Box. Usually they try to hide me in the corner as I scale down to about 50% of the women's weights.

But give me a big cardio day like a 10K row and TRAIL IS WODZILLA BITCHES! Only day I get respect and can smugly go through my post-WOD stretching while they're laboring through the row or bike.

When I was in college, my track team shared the weight room (machines, not free weights) with the football team. Once, I was waiting for a football player to vacate the leg extension machine. When he got off, I lowered the weight from like 15 to like 12 plates, and noted the disdain on his face. I then did them one-legged.

I was a high jumper/triple jumper. I didn't go near the upper-body machines.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply

Prev Next