Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2015-2016 100 Runs 100 Days Thread Dec 15-Mar 24 [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got the effing flu! rested the last 2 days...hoping to get back out tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015-2016 100 Runs 100 Days Thread Dec 15-Mar 24 [blueraider_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey guys......we're on day 47....almost at halfway!!!
Quote Reply
Re: 2015-2016 100 Runs 100 Days Thread Dec 15-Mar 24 [blueraider_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
50th run today! My goal is to finish ahead of where I finished last year-15th in frequency and 11th in distance. Tough competition, so I'm not sure it's doable.
Keep up the great work everyone.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015-2016 100 Runs 100 Days Thread Dec 15-Mar 24 [Habs4ever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Habs4ever wrote:
50th run today! My goal is to finish ahead of where I finished last year-15th in frequency and 11th in distance. Tough competition, so I'm not sure it's doable.

...you can't change who shows up, so do what is right for your body for your progression and racing goals....don't make the 100/100 spreadsheet the prize. It is just the carrot to get to prizes during your spring and summer of racing!
Quote Reply
Re: 2015-2016 100 Runs 100 Days Thread Dec 15-Mar 24 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't suppose it would do any good to whine that a blizzard kept me from running for a week. ;-)

First run today in over a week. Sunshine was out but we've still got a good 6-10 inches on the ground. It was good to get some fresh air.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: 2015-2016 100 Runs 100 Days Thread Dec 15-Mar 24 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Habs4ever wrote:

...you can't change who shows up, so do what is right for your body for your progression and racing goals....don't make the 100/100 spreadsheet the prize. It is just the carrot to get to prizes during your spring and summer of racing!

Absolutely right. I guess I shouldn't have said it that way. I'm following my training plan and I'll end up where I end up.
Last edited by: Habs4ever: Jan 30, 16 13:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A story from the back of the pack, at least by speed or distance. I've been trying to get back into some kind of running shape since last fall. Of course, I'm almost 40 lbs heavier than when I was training for an Ironman 7 or 8 years ago, not to mention nearly a decade older. I never stopped running but it's been pretty sporadic. For the nine months before September I averaged less than 12 miles per month, yes, per month.

With no particular plan, from September through November I started running 3 or 4 times a week and getting about 30 miles per month. In December a local running store sponsored a 'run through the holidays' challenge that involved running a minimum of 1 mile per day every day and on a whim I joined that. A couple weeks into Dec., I stumbled over this challenge that I'd done years ago. It would be a bit of a stretch but I started and, so far, I'm still getting at least a 30 minute run in every day. Silly enough so far? As of last weekend, I've joined a local marathon club, following their half marathon program that aims for one of several different events in May. That will involve progressively lengthening weekend group long runs as well as some mid week group runs, clinics, and other suggested supporting runs.

Pushing for more speed may happen eventually, or maybe not. There's nothing to put the 'icing' on, so far. I wouldn't even say I'm 'baking a cake' so much as just seeing if I still have any of the ingredients. ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Checking in here, data is all logged on Strava.

50 runs since Dec 15
346 miles

11 days till the LA Marathon!

~DE
Last edited by: davidembree: Feb 1, 16 18:45
Quote Reply
Re: 2015-2016 100 Runs 100 Days Thread Dec 15-Mar 24 [Micawber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: 2015-2016 100 Runs 100 Days Thread Dec 15-Mar 24 [Micawber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well done and keep at it. I have barely done any running for years and your 12 miles per month was much more than I was doing. I have been going at it pretty hard as I want to get the frequency part up as much as possible but like you keeping the runs to 30 minutes per day or a bit longer. Once a week I do one run as quickly as possible for 5km and I have been able to get my time down by over 7 minutes since the first run of the challenge. It will come. Just take it easy and once in a while turn up the pace a bit.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015-2016 100 Runs 100 Days Thread Dec 15-Mar 24 [davidembree] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice! I'll be there, too. Good luck with the final race prep.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev, have we ever had a women leading this far into the challenge? GabbyF is killing it! (Not trying to be sexist - the two time I've done this the board was very guy heavy).
Quote Reply
Re: 2015-2016 100 Runs 100 Days Thread Dec 15-Mar 24 [TheKoz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey guys....sorry for being so far out of the loop....WE'RE ON DAY 50....wow half way done already? Time goes too quickly. Keep up the great work. If you don't have injuries, it's a great time to extend runs, add intensity or add a double or an additional day since your bodies should be adapting to all this. It would be cool to see the total lbs lost over all the participants since Dec 15th!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
weight loss for me, 0. But I came into the challenge fairly fit. What I've found this year is my legs feel great at day 50. They seem to recover much quicker than in the past.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
only 3 lbs lost (7 more to go). Unfortunately, my diet has not been as consistent as my running (52/51) {sigh}
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure I've lost much weight as, like mck, I was fairly fit coming into the challenge (HM PR on 12/27). Maybe 5? The big work is done for LA and I'm enjoying the taper. Just don't want to enjoy it too much and put those 5 lbs back on over the next 2 weeks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've lost a whopping 4lbs. I was fairly fit coming into the challenge so don't expect to lose much more. I'm a short compact female who really doesn't need to lose weight, but I seem to always want to lose those 5-10 vanity pounds.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015-2016 100 Runs 100 Days Thread Dec 15-Mar 24 [Habs4ever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, good for you!
I've been "virtually" competing with you to stay in the top 30.
I'm a medium build 51 year old who always wants (needs) to lose 10 lbs. Tho my wife disagrees ;)
Keep at it. You're doing great!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Habs4ever wrote:
I've lost a whopping 4lbs. I was fairly fit coming into the challenge so don't expect to lose much more. I'm a short compact female who really doesn't need to lose weight, but I seem to always want to lose those 5-10 vanity pounds.

This is ST....it's like biking...you can never be aero enough, and when it comes to running, can't be light enough. As for the vanity side, well, there is another thread where the women are asking if "A" or "B" is the preferred option, so we'll leave that discussion on that thread and focus here on getting faster/fitter.

For the record, I did a weigh in and came in at only 2 lbs over last year's race weight and a full 5 lbs under last year's winter weight when I was running and training like madman for IM South Africa. This winter, I am mainly swimming and doing some trainer riding and zero running so far. I am not exactly sure why I am lighter than last year this time. At least if/when I can start running (which is not now), I won't be starting carrying an extra built in weight vest.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Feb 3, 16 18:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I owe todays run to the challenge:

Snowing & blustery at 5 am when I poked my head outside. Would've been much easier to crawl back into bed. BUT the roads weren't covered yet so I got dressed and headed out.

Wind in my face, the first 5 minutes sucked and I figured I'd just bang out 30 minutes. Alas, the wind mellowed, the snow falling added a tranquility and I ended up doing my usual 45 minutes.

Don't think, just do. Or, embrace the suck. It often works out well for me. Thanks 100/100!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't been paying much attention to my weight, other than to try to limit snacking and 2nd helpings. I usually check it every week or two and it's been somewhere between 225 and 230 lbs for a few years now. I'm fairly tall though and don't have a big belly so I still get called skinny sometimes. Since the challenge started, my weight dipped a little and came right back so no net loss yet. No rush. I'm hoping to bring it down to try for some decent races by next year when I start into the 60+ age groups. I hadn't really considered a goal like that until this challenge started working out as well as it has. Thanks again Dev for the 100/100.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've lost about 5lbs within the challenge and while I'm happy with that there are things I'm celebrating more than that - we're at day 55 today and I'm sitting two runs up at 57 and have felt the breakthrough that comes mid way: I feel stronger/fitter in every run. I'm running faster and my gastroc/soleus/achilles have been holding up (that's been my trouble area in the past) so I'm ready to stretch some durations.

This past week I ran 3 days at ST HQ in Xantusia with TravisR and a few other Slowtwitch Forum regulars during a F.I.S.T. bike fit clinic. One morning was 24deg which, for many of you is a gift, but here in So Cal that'll be the coldest run of my streak and I felt stiff the whole time. The desert sunrises were magic, snow on the peaks, 100% trail with big rabbits sprinting out from behind sage and joshua trees - fantastic!!

Thank you Dev as always for organizing. Thank you others for being passionately involved - you're what makes this possible.

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: 2015-2016 100 Runs 100 Days Thread Dec 15-Mar 24 [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Still cruising along, frequency has dropped a bit, mileage and intensity is up a bit. Did opt for some cross training last Saturday and skinned up Okemo rather than do a recovery run.

Totally worth it, wasn't easy, but gave my joints a beak and had a good 20 miler the next day.

Legs are feeling tired, looking forward to next weeks recovery week. Still have a marathon pace run on Sunday though and it looks like it will be in negative temps in VT when I am doing it...gonna be rough. Think I'll be doing another skinning day on Saturday to prepare...

Falling back on the frequency ranks, but have climbed a bit on the time and distance. Just broke 500 miles and yet the 2 guys ahead blow my mind...amazing! You guys rock!
Last edited by: steelerguy: Feb 10, 16 23:00
Quote Reply
Re: 2015-2016 100 Runs 100 Days Thread Dec 15-Mar 24 [steelerguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From 260th to 210th since last update, but 100 runs as a goal is no longer realistic, this year. I will adjust my target to 50 which for me will still mean doing more, and more and...
I can see more of these double runs as being required at this point, still, i joined a new gym so who knows. At least no injuries (recently!)
Best of luck to all in this challenge!

I edit my posts, a lot.
Last edited by: ferdia: Feb 11, 16 1:53
Quote Reply
Re: 2015-2016 100 Runs 100 Days Thread Dec 15-Mar 24 [ferdia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really want to make 100 runs but not sure its the "right" thing to do for me. I have 54 runs in after 58 days.

Despite keeping my intensity easy and the mileage low I am getting some aches and pains - specifically my heels which are tender. Its fine when I run but sore otherwise. Took yesterday off, and today will do something low impact. Never been able to stay healthy with a lot of mileage or too much frequency. I made 80 runs two years ago.

Not sure of my way forward. Tough getting older!
Quote Reply

Prev Next