Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2013 Specialized Allez Expert
Quote | Reply
I’m just getting into triathlons and am looking to buy a first bike. My plan is to do a number of sprint and Olympic tris this summer, perhaps with a 70.3 in Sept. To that end, I’m considering a brand new 2013 Specialized Expert Allez that an LBS is offering for $1500. It’s a smartweld frame with full Ultegra mech. I’d be doing training/weekend rides and the sprint/olympic triathlons on it as I get into the sport. I don’t think I’m ready to take the plunge on a dedicated TT bike yet, at least until I get more into the sport.

Any thoughts on whether this is a good bike for my situation and, if so, whether the price is good? Seems like list price was $2400 back in 2013/14. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 Specialized Allez Expert [zack.simmons] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That doesn't really sound like much of a deal to me. I think you should be able to do a lot better for $1500 than a 5 year old Allez. Not that the Allez wasn't a good bike, but you can get a new Tarmac for that. Yeah, it won't have Ultegra at that price, but I'd rather have a better frame than a better groupset. And if you decided to sell in the next couple years, you'll get much more out of a 2017/18 Tarmac than a 2013 Allez.

https://www.specialized.com/...?color=239633-129267

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Apr 4, 18 10:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with garyp. The allez is an awesome bike (I still use my 2010 allez all the time), but 1500 for that bike is still overpriced for that year range... maybe if it was less than $1000, but you can pick up newer/carbon bikes at that price point. You could buy the lowest-spec'd tarmac and replace the lower end components when they wear out. Tbh I think the 105 components of today are better than the ultegra from 5 years ago.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are correct, the Allez Expert was $2400 in 2014. Bicycle Blue Book says at the top of the excellent condition range, it's worth $875.
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 Specialized Allez Expert [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bicycle Blue Book also appraises things on the low end for their own gain. Either way, $1000 max for a 2013 Allez.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like others said...bought my Allez Elite new in 2009 (w/105) for about 1500.
Still ride it,still good bike.....but 4 digits.....no way.
To use for triathlon....I’m right between an 54/56, got the 54 and when I’m training with extensions I use an ism road saddle almost forward position, for regular a normal saddle almost rearward. Works fine.

-shoki
Last edited by: shoki: Apr 4, 18 12:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I bought a 2013 Allez frameset for $500. $1500 for an assembled Allez with 2013 Ultegra components seems at least $200 - $300 high.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pros: good bike, and even old ultegra is still nice stuff

cons: price, age, weight. also: one thing to consider is the standards for some things have changed in the meantime, meaning that stems, bars, etc might be harder to switch up.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks all. This is very helpful.
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 Specialized Allez Expert [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a 2011 Allez for my road bike. Used it for several years for sprint and olympic tri's with some clip on bars until I stepped up and got a tri bike. I think I paid @ $1200 for it at the time. It's a good sturdy bike, aluminum frame, a bit heavy, but solid. I agree with other folks comments. A frame like this does not really justify ultegra components or a 4 digit price tag. That being said, I use 105 on mine and plan to keep using it on group rides for several more years.

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 Specialized Allez Expert [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed except the weight issue. Smartwelds are as light as a typical carbon bike. Also, I think the only tech issue may be 11 vs 10 speed, and I think 2013 Ultegra is 11(?) So I don't think there's much to worry about tech wise.
Buy like everyone else has said, 1500 is waaaaayyyy too much for that bike. It is a good bike, I'd say for $1k out the door seems fair.
Quote Reply