Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2010 Goals Thread [emacfarl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
be able to run.........

I'm scheduled for arthroscopic surgery on my right knee for a torn meniscus...................
Quote Reply
Re: 2010 Goals Thread [show pony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

- Try to become more type A (starting to get to much woulda, coulda, shoulda in my thoughts)

- 10k pr - should be a good goal, as current pr is from 25 years and 25 lbs ago...
Quote Reply
Re: 2010 Goals Thread [dave_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been mulling this over and decided to put it out there for everyone to see:
  1. Sub 1:35 1/2 marathon (Mardi Gras RNR - February - PR 1:36 in 2008)
  2. Sub 5:15 1/2 IM (NO 70.3 - April)
  3. FTP of 280 Watts (currently probably 230 - 240, though I haven't formally tested)
  4. Leave the Clydesdale group (hopefully by NO 70.3 - currently 215'ish)
  5. Sub 19' 5K (summertime - PR 19:45 in 2008)
  6. Max Bench Press of 300 (currently at 245 untrained), since my co-worker is having a hard time achieving it, I'd like to give it a shot.

I think these are all reasonable by themselves, but to accomplish them all will be an undertaking - which is good, that's why they are goals.

Fooshee
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sub 11:00 and/ or top 10% of AG (w40-44) at IMFL
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Running:

5k 21:30 (PB 22:06)
10k 44:40 (current PB 46:48..... age 22 from 1985 PB 45:10)
10m Sub 1:15 (current PB 1:18 within a half M)
Half M Sub 1:40 (PB 1:43:17) - Toledo April and/or Vegas Dec
Be top 50 in 5k, top 75 in 10k and top 140 in half marathon in Ontario Masters Road Racing Stats for 2010 (open masters women)

Cycling:

15k TT 26:30 34km/h (PB 27:12)
40k TT sub 1:14 32.5 km/h (current PB 1:16:26..... age 24 from 1987 PB 1:08)

Duathlon:

Finish a duathlon with both runs sub 5:00 per km PLUS bike > 30 km/h. This year I was able to accomplish 2 out of 3 several times, but never all 3 out of 3.
Have all transitions sub 60 seconds and be fastest woman transitioning in local races. I can often do both of these but not always. Want to be more consistent on this.
Finish 1st or 2nd overall woman in a local duathlon. I have been 3rd or 4th several times.

Focus:

Work on positive thoughts during races. Getting better at this but still waver on hilly courses.

Weight: Lose 9 lbs by Toledo, to get to 120 lbs. Continue with vegetarian diet.

Booze: 1 drink on the weekend only

AmZof Short Course May 16/2010:
Show up. Participate. Finish Upright. Have a beer with Dave Roche. Have enough energy left over to go back out on the course and cheer on (laugh at?) the Long Course Boyz :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a slew of goals:

1. Do not get an overuse injury from running/cycling (can't help bad shoulders from college swimming days)
2. Lose 20 pounds by end of march to assist in this injury free endeavor. (easier on the legs and joints if I am lighter)

3. Run a sub :43 at an OLY this year.
4. Break 1 hour at a 40k Oly race this year.
(Ideally 3 & 4 will be done at the same race.)

5. Break 2:05 at an OLY race this year.
6. Qualify for AG Nats.

7. break 4:50 in a HIM.

Extreme Stretch Target - finish HIM in 4:3x

Quote | Reply
In my part of the world our '09/'10 season is in full swing...I've already ticked off one performance-related goal (twice in fact), so the only other remaining target is an AG podium at long course nats. Seeing that race is on January 9th(!), it might be a slow year... :P

A very disappointing fail on my part...held 2nd to about 14km, passed for 3rd (convincingly) with around 4km to go...game over. :(

blood, sweat...and big gears

I hated every minute of training, but I said, ''Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.''
- Muhammad Ali
Quote Reply
Re: 2010 Goals Thread [IronMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To have the 2010 Boulder Altitude Camp go off flawlessly & with nice weather (we'll leave that to Mother Nature as I have no choice in the matter...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now that most of you lot are well into your off-seasons it must be time to revisit this thread.

As per my last post above I've now had almost 11 months to stew over a failed 2010 goal. Note to self (& others): don't set a goal for early January!

How did everyone else do? There was some ambitious stuff posted...let's see some follow-up.

blood, sweat...and big gears

I hated every minute of training, but I said, ''Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.''
- Muhammad Ali
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, this is how it shook out with the goals being in bold. I gave myself some aggresive targets, which were not entirely out of the range of possibility

A: 36.xx 10K, 1:20.xx half marathon, 4:48 @ wildflower, sub 4:18 @ demi Esprit, top 30 at Gatineau Loppet (50K skate ski race)

10K 37.54...fail
21.1K 1:22....fail
Wildflower 4:56...not bad
Demi Esprit 4:29...fail
Top 41st at Gat Loppet...close as I was in a massive pack right till the final 7K....just did not have the will on that day

Close on all, but not quite there

B: Clearwater qual at Timberman or Mooseman, if I go back to CW, sub 4:22 (beat 2009 time) while averaging at least 225W again on the bike (means I did a clean race and did not get towed to T2)

Clearwater qual at Mooseman won my age group pass
Clearwater 4:31 with 220W bike, fail, but I'll take that 5 weeks after an unplanned Ironman

C: Complete IM France with a 3:3x run

3:42 run at IM France....close, but no cigar...those 2 porta pottie breaks haunt me

On a positive note, got a rolldown slot to Kona and completed the Kona+Clearwater double (10:55 + 4:31) and had some health issues from June onward that got in the way of good racing and good preparation...hopefully it all clears up, but the season was more of a success than I would have hoped given the relative failures to achieve anything posted on this thread. I gave myself some high goals and in most cases came reasonably close. At least I got to the start line of all the events that I planned to do (and some more)!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stay healthy - goal achieved
have fun - goal achieved
1:07 @ skinnyman - nope
1:29 @ ITPman - nope

o-well - good thing its a hobby and not a job.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HAHAHA, I failed on ALL my goals. I rock. (well I feel OK about it as I took on way harder races than I had originally planned, and did way more tris than originally planned, but did snag a few podiums along the way...)

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: 2010 Goals Thread [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
* Get knee fully rehabbed and back to training 100% [STILL!! going to PT. STILL!!! But at least I can ride.]

* Upgrade to Cat. 3 on track [NO--Doc. hasn't released me to mass start race yet so no chance to upgrade.]

* Track Nats--Move up the podium in the sprint [YES!]

* Track Nats--Podium in the 2K [YES!]

* Drop times in 200/500/2K (which will lead to the above). [YES!]

* Get experience on 250m indoor track w/45 degree banking. [YES!]

* Track worlds--Go to Portugal and ride fastest times and party after with Sedi, Klep and the boys. [NO--Was sick for nearly a month prior to Worlds so I bailed on the trip.]

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: 2010 Goals Thread [Lilac J] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Despite only a few races set for 2010, here are some general goals:

- Run a sub 28 min 4 miler in Central Park NO :( Only ran 1 race at this distance.
- Run a sub 1:40 half marathon YES 1:39:30
- Run a sub 3:25 marathon NO 3:36:32 (plan was sub-3:30, so this wasn't going to happen)

- Join and race more local bike races NO
- Do a century ride (Bear Mtn?) NO

- Continue to stay out of the pool and train as little as possible to remain just competitive enough YES!

And I DNS'ed my 2 A races. Man, what a lost year!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Won age group at Tundra Time Trial in Atlanta in February.

Won age group at every race at Lowes Motor Speedway I did and set a new age group track record (29.2 mph). Won the series title for Masters 55+.

Won my age group at both "321 Series" 40k time trials I did.

Won age group at state time trial championship for fifth straight year.

Fastest bike split at the oly-distance tri relay I did.

Fastest bike split at the SC Half on the winning relay team.

Second fastest bike split at Beach2Battleship at 4:34:15 on the winning relay team (out of 43 teams ... oh, and with David Roche who was the key part of the win). The one faster bike split was JPatterson here on ST (also a relay split). He was on Greg Lemond's team when Greg won his first World Championship road race. I was smoking pot and cigarettes and drinking beer about that time.

(Humbling perspective ... Jordan rolled a 4:22 bike split in his comeback race at IMAZ this year. That was HUGE!)

Earlier in my life I was an alcoholic, a workaholic and a 2 1/2 pack per day smoker. Twice I've been sidelined for an entire year with major injuries that atrophied my left leg down to skin and bones and I race with a lot of hardware in my left leg. Last year I broke a couple of ribs and punctured a lung in an early-season accident, then suffered a herniated disk that seriously withered my right leg for much of the year. This season was like a dream come true and I'm grateful to God that he blessed me with a resilient body and spirit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Complete fail. lowest volume training year in over a decade, most days off for a year in a long long time, least number of swims, longest time out of the pool, something like 20 weeks, lowest run frequency and volume lowest bike frequency and volume.

Even with that I won 3 races which is more then the last 2 years combined made some decent bonus dollars and posted my fastest 90km ever. I guess old age and treachery still has it's merits.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: 2010 Goals Thread [psycholist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why are you so proud of your B2B performance? You full guys didn't have to deal with all that tailwind that us 70.3 guys had to struggle with. ;)

Congrats on a massively productive year, and good luck with the next one.
Quote Reply
Re: 2010 Goals Thread [psycholist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Won age group at Tundra Time Trial in Atlanta in February.

Won age group at every race at Lowes Motor Speedway I did and set a new age group track record (29.2 mph). Won the series title for Masters 55+.

Won my age group at both "321 Series" 40k time trials I did.

Won age group at state time trial championship for fifth straight year.

Fastest bike split at the oly-distance tri relay I did.

Fastest bike split at the SC Half on the winning relay team.

Second fastest bike split at Beach2Battleship at 4:34:15 on the winning relay team (out of 43 teams ... oh, and with David Roche who was the key part of the win). The one faster bike split was JPatterson here on ST (also a relay split). He was on Greg Lemond's team when Greg won his first World Championship road race. I was smoking pot and cigarettes and drinking beer about that time.

(Humbling perspective ... Jordan rolled a 4:22 bike split in his comeback race at IMAZ this year. That was HUGE!)

Earlier in my life I was an alcoholic, a workaholic and a 2 1/2 pack per day smoker. Twice I've been sidelined for an entire year with major injuries that atrophied my left leg down to skin and bones and I race with a lot of hardware in my left leg. Last year I broke a couple of ribs and punctured a lung in an early-season accident, then suffered a herniated disk that seriously withered my right leg for much of the year. This season was like a dream come true and I'm grateful to God that he blessed me with a resilient body and spirit.

Awesome comeback year! Thanks for the inspiration! While Jordan's comeback is amazing, at your age, the comeback seems equally incredible
Quote Reply
Re: 2010 Goals Thread [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I forget if I posted way back when - but I had a mixed year as an normal AG racer.

My goals:
BQ Marathon
Sub 5 hour HIM
KQ at IM St George

Positives:

Wanted to BQ in a marathon and comfortably made it at Disney in Jan
Completed Baily Hundo 100 mile MTB race... I was on schedule for a (personally) very respectable 10 hour time when a lack of Chamois cream had me standing or squirming last 30 miles
Saw my 14 year old son win a JV HS Cross country race

5:10 at Boulder HIM (sorry, 70.3) was a positive, coming off an awesome family vacation over the summer, I had 50% of the training volume from a 5:05 last year. I knew when
I booked the trip the 5 hour goal was pretty much toast. 3 weeks in Brasil was worth it :-)

Disappointments:
Bad day at St George despite what I felt was an great lead up to it. I'm not Kona material really, but hoped that I might climb the ladder by catching flatlanders
napping after training hard through the Colorado winter and mountains. A sour stomach had me puking 5 mins into the swim and I was happy just to finish.

24 hours at Moab MTB race - didn't even beat my 107 mi total from the Baily Hundo. Packed it in after 6 laps and 90 miles.

Got dropped by my 14 year old son at Bolder Boulder. He surged at mile 5 and I knew I would never beat him again.

The ups & downs in this sport teach you a great deal about yourself and life in general. Looking inside yourself deep in a race
is a hundred times more revealing than looking in the mirror when you comb your hair, and knowing you won't always get what you're
hoping to find is a lesson in humility and humanity.

Or maybe it just means I need some ceramic bearings....

" I take my gear out of my car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of of their lives shocks me. "
(opening lines from Tim Krabbe's The Rider , 1978
Quote Reply
Re: 2010 Goals Thread [TriDevilDog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You had an awesome family vacation + "Got dropped by your 14 year old son at Bolder Boulder. He surged at mile 5 and you knew you would never beat him again."....looks like a successful year!!!
Quote Reply
Re: 2010 Goals Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Twas a great year and has me thinking I will need to work pretty hard to top it in 2011.

Breakout year in sprints
Was primed for a breakout olympic and came down with a sinus infection the week of. Signed up at the last minute for Tuscaloosa which was a month later. Had a great event going until I absolutely crumbled in the heat.
First IM/marathon completed I am not sure it could have gone any better.

Secured a coach through a great organization for 2011, but I also age group up to where the big boys play.

Dream goal for 2011 is a 5hr half at the Beast of the East and a 10:30 at IMLP.
Quote Reply
Re: 2010 Goals Thread [IanH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
As long as there are absolutely no follow-up questions, here are my 2010 race goals

1) <2:15 at Around the Bay 30k
2) <5:00 at Steelhead
3) <38 min 10k
4) AG podium finishes at local sprint tris

Fun to look back at my old friend, optimism.

1) Fail - dropped out at 21km due to ongoing injury
2) Fail - switched to Cedar Point half and went 5:00:20 (missed by 20 seconds...still a fail)
3) Fail - Above-noted injury had me run my only 10k at an easy pace. Just fast enough to stay ahead of my siblings.
4) Pass - 2 out of 2 in sprint tris.

One out of 4 ain't bad right??
Quote Reply
Re: 2010 Goals Thread [IanH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2010:

Sub 36 10k- 35:33 & 35:51
Swim time from 26:30min-22min.-----currently hovering in around 21min
Win 1st tri.----done...2x
Win AG @ Wildflower.-------done. 2:15

boo-yah...

But at least Im ending the year with a fail (i guess like everyone else) by getting mono... :/

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Worked well last year even if I forgot about it. So...

1. Age group podium at both Ironman New Zealand and Lanzarote
2. Sub-9:30 at Kona
3. Age group podium at Kona! Real long shot, but might as well aim high!
4. Earn enough to keep training near to full time.

Guess I'd better get working.

Didn't work so well this time round!

1. Good race in NZ, 9:31, 30th overall, only 10th in my age group - a fast year. Poor race in Lanza, not in the shape I should have been for running.
2. Run injury stopped me running for 2 months prior to Kona, got off the bike in prime position for sub-9:30, didn't have the run in me.
3. Ha
4. Well there was one success and that's been getting a good balance of work/training

Try again next year!

--
Blog - Twitter - Coaching - Training Camps
Quote Reply
Re: 2010 Goals Thread [Cassie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Running:

5k 21:30 (PB 22:06) did a 21:36 Sept./10
10k 44:40 (current PB 46:48..... age 22 from 1985 PB 45:10) nope
10m Sub 1:15 (current PB 1:18 within a half M) wasn't able to fit a 10 miler into my schedule. Doing the Crim in 2011
Half M Sub 1:40 (PB 1:43:17) - Toledo April and/or Vegas Dec 1:42:26 Oct/10 in Grand Rapids.

Finish a duathlon with both runs sub 5:00 per km PLUS bike > 30 km/h. This year I was able to accomplish 2 out of 3 several times, but never all 3 out of 3. Still nope

Weight: Lose 9 lbs by Toledo, to get to 120 lbs. Around July I finally accepted that this wasn't going to happen on its own so I started with a sports nutritionist. I'm down by 5% body fat and am at 126 lbs now. Still an ongoing battle.

AmZof Short Course May 16/2010: Show up. Participate. Finish Upright. Have a beer with Dave Roche. Yes, Yes, Yes, warm Cosmo :)
Quote Reply

Prev Next