Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2001 Ultegra vs 2005 105
Quote | Reply
Researching my next bike, probably buying in 2006 although could go for something this year if the right bike/price/financial circumstances come up! Basically Ive been riding a bike with full Ultegra 9 speed groupset since 2001, never had to replace anything except the chain, once. Happy with the weight and performance. Looking at replacement, you seem to get a 105 kitted bike for a much better price than Ultegra, and obviously parts are cheaper as well. If I go for 105 am I really going to notice significant difference between new 105 and old Ultegra? Dont really want to trade up to 10 speed as everything Ive heard says its durability sucks...

Basically Im a below average rider, doing long distance tris, but with nowhere near enough training miles

On a second note any one got any feedback on Dave Hinde bikes in Manchester (UK) - quite like the look of their bikes in their advertisements but their website just gives contact info and shop address. Worth a trip up there...?

"You're so money Mikey, and you don't even know it..."
Quote Reply
Re: 2001 Ultegra vs 2005 105 [Mattyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guys like Merckx won the Tour de France on 5 speed. 10 speed is overrated. I can't tell the difference between the function of 105 and Ultegra in any year. They both work great. I have a mix of 105, ultegra and Dura Ace on my various bikes over the past 15 years, and they all work fine. Dura Ace is highly overrated. 105 is best bang for the buck. I bet you that Lance could beat anyone in the TdF if Trek put 105 on his bike.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: 2001 Ultegra vs 2005 105 [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are lower level pro / elite teams in Europe racing (and winning) on 105. Its about the engine.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: 2001 Ultegra vs 2005 105 [Mattyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 105 is cooler because it comes in black.
Quote Reply