Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
1x Narrow/Wide Drivetrain Efficiency
Quote | Reply
There is a lot going on in the road 1x field with most options being a Narrow/Wide chainrings. Many people go this route to save weight or because it potentially has less drag. Has anyone explored the drivetrain efficiency of a Narrow/Wide vs Standard (or maybe taller teeth) chainring. I suspect that the drivetrain losses are equal to and greater than desired effect of going 1x.

BoulderCyclingCoach.com
Quote Reply
Re: 1x Narrow/Wide Drivetrain Efficiency [rockdude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
...or perhaps it could even be more efficient. The chain has narrow/wide holes in it. If your chain ring only has narrow teeth, maybe it bounces around?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jordan Rapp studied this: https://ride.diamondback.com/...files-1x-drivetrains

He referenced another study done by Jason of CeramicSpeed but I haven't seen that report specifically. "Jason found (perhaps unsurprisingly since it is a purely static interface) that narrow-wide chainrings do not add any measurable frictional losses to the drivetrain."

Jordan's conclusion: "from a frictional standpoint, typical 1X setups pay no significant penalty vs comparable 2x setups"

FWIW, I switched to 1x for the simplicity of it, not the marginal gains in aero, weight, or potentially drivetrain efficiency etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rockdude wrote:
I suspect that the drivetrain losses are equal to and greater than desired effect of going 1x.

Why do you suspect that? Time trialists figure losing the fd counts for around three watts of aero savings. That's a good chunk.
Quote Reply
Re: 1x Narrow/Wide Drivetrain Efficiency [CyclingClyde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did Jordan look a clutch derailleurs at all?
Quote Reply
Re: 1x Narrow/Wide Drivetrain Efficiency [jstonebarger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't need them.
Quote Reply
Re: 1x Narrow/Wide Drivetrain Efficiency [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Don't need them.

I've got a clutch rd on a 1x mtb I bought used. Would it be more efficient to use a n-w chainring and ditch the clutch?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jstonebarger wrote:
Did Jordan look a clutch derailleurs at all?

He assumes about ~1w extra over a traditional RD due to increased spring tension but this wasn't directly measured or tested.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The clutch would cost you ~1W. Up to you if it's worth it. On an MTB it would tend to be more desirable IMO, to reduce chain slap. A NW chainring is a good idea regardless... or a chain keeper on the front.

Good info regarding losses here: https://ride.diamondback.com/...files-1x-drivetrains
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very interesting. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Don't need them.

Tell that to John Degenkolb! (Who decided to switch to 2x for E3 "because of the hills.")

You can sometimes get way without them, particularly in TT. I wouldn't at all make that a blanket statement about all 1x road.
Last edited by: trail: Mar 29, 19 10:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a thorough article in this month's velonews that covers a lot of this. They make a good argument that 2x is more efficient. I don't necessarily agree because they used different chains that, they point out, have different efficiencies.
Quote Reply
Re: 1x Narrow/Wide Drivetrain Efficiency [carlosflanders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
carlosflanders wrote:
There's a thorough article in this month's velonews that covers a lot of this. They make a good argument that 2x is more efficient. I don't necessarily agree because they used different chains that, they point out, have different efficiencies.
assuming you spend more time at the two ends of the cassette with a suboptimal chainline, crosschaining friction losses would be greater for 1x compared to 2x
Quote Reply
Re: 1x Narrow/Wide Drivetrain Efficiency [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dekenkolb was using a clutch derailleur and NW. It didn't work.

In my experience with my 1x MTB on rocky trails, a mangled front derailleur has worked perfectly to keep the chain on. The clutch is turned off and the front ring is a standard 34t.

Many people on TT bikes don't use anything special. I think the missing ingredient is a solid chain keeper, if you are having issues with the chain coming off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:

Or "dampened" or whatever SRAM calls their new system. Yeah, but in my experience regular RD's work even less well. I dropped chains maybe twice per month without a clutched RD. I've never dropped one with a clutched RD. I really don't like running chain catchers in aero configurations.
Last edited by: trail: Mar 29, 19 12:04
Quote Reply
Re: 1x Narrow/Wide Drivetrain Efficiency [redlude97] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, that's right. But I think if they had used the same chain in the tests that it would be very close.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:

In my experience with my 1x MTB on rocky trails, a mangled front derailleur has worked perfectly to keep the chain on. The clutch is turned off and the front ring is a standard 34t.

Many people on TT bikes don't use anything special. I think the missing ingredient is a solid chain keeper, if you are having issues with the chain coming off.
A FD doesn't stop a chain from derailling off the bottom of the chainring which a clutch generally is for IME, couldn't get a nonclutched 1x system to work during cyclocross races with a chaincatcher
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To add to the discussion...

Last edited by: TiCass: Mar 29, 19 12:45
Quote Reply
Re: 1x Narrow/Wide Drivetrain Efficiency [TiCass] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where’d this chart come from? 6 watts difference from an 11t to 10t top end cog is shockingly high.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: 1x Narrow/Wide Drivetrain Efficiency [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apparently Velonews according to weightweenies
https://weightweenies.starbike.com/...54834&start=1110

(but I haven't found that article on velonews)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I think I found it in this paid edition:
https://www.velonews.com/...ar-issue-2019_485868

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TiCass wrote:
To add to the discussion...

I think they used different chains as was stated above which may be a large part of the difference
Quote Reply
Re: 1x Narrow/Wide Drivetrain Efficiency [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
I really don't like running chain catchers in aero configurations.

I'm surprised no one makes one that is aero. Most bikes have a removable hangar held on with two screws. An L shaped piece of metal with some slotted cutouts for adjustment should do the trick. I don't think you need anything laterally, just something on top to keep the chain from coming off the ring.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
redlude97 wrote:
A FD doesn't stop a chain from derailling off the bottom of the chainring which a clutch generally is for IME, couldn't get a nonclutched 1x system to work during cyclocross races with a chaincatcher

If you are pedaling, then this seems impossible. I don't even think it would happen if you were coasting. Wouldn't you need to be back-pedaling?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
redlude97 wrote:

If you are pedaling, then this seems impossible. I don't even think it would happen if you were coasting. Wouldn't you need to be back-pedaling?

When going over rough terrain even while pedalling the RD cage bounces up and down with the chain and derails the chain off the bottom of the chainring, watch some of the European CX races where the majority are running 2x still and it happens relatively frequently. a n/w chainring helps but doesn't solve it in every situation
Last edited by: redlude97: Mar 29, 19 13:53
Quote Reply

Prev Next