Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

1x9 vs 1x10
Quote | Reply
I know that there have been many 1x questions, so bear with me. I have converted to a 1x setup (50T, Wolftooth Chainring), on P2 (2009 model), with a 9-speed ultegra long cage. Currently I have 12-27 and 11-28 handy. I saw on another posting somebody saying that its better staying with a larger ring in front because of chain retention. Ironically I was going to buy a 48T right before I saw that, but my biggest fear is the chain falling off as I go to a lower chainring (there have been no drops w/the 50 so far)..

Anyway, to the 1x bike experts out there....If I stay with 9-speed, would it be better to stay with my cassettes (12-27 and 11-28) and go with a 48T, or stay with the 50T and go with something like a 12-30? Or it it worth it to upgrade to 10-speed (I can't afford to do 11 at the moment). My ftp is 240 on the powerbeam, and average around 59-1:02 on flat 40k's, but I may do some races with more rolling hills than flats, so I guess my concern is not having the gears on the low-end.

Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: 1x9 vs 1x10 [MikenUltra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you spinning out of your top gear ever?

If not, definitely go with a smaller front chainring. As long as it is narrow wide, you shouldn’t have any chain retention problems. The smaller ring will decrease the jump between gears and give you a little more bottom end for the hills.

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
48 to 50 won't make a difference in chain retention. Chain is only on half the ring at a time so it's 1 extra tooth engaged.

Choose a chainring that allows you to be in the middle of your cassette at your avg speed at avg cadence (example 35kmh @ 85rpm). Then choose a cassette that has a low enough ratio for NY climbing needs. If you do this, you will have better chain retention because of a straight chain line and you will only be in the 11 or 12t cog on downhills or strong tail winds.

Since you have a 50t and are considering upgrading to 10 spd, I'd go the route of changing derailleur and cassette to get your gearing where you want.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's the max tooth capacity of your RD? I'd convert to 10speed, and go with a 12-36 or something like that and a 50t. You can convert to 10s by just changing the shifter, new cassette, and chain.

The RD will still work.

If your RD can't do 36T. ..you can get the wolf tooth RD adapter thing.
Quote Reply
Re: 1x9 vs 1x10 [Vincible] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No way, I'm definitely not spinning out of the 50/11, nor the 50/12. Ideally I'd like a 13-30 if that were possible, just to smooth out the cassette jumps (there are quite a few big jumps I know), but I'm not sure there's a cassette with 13 in the first position (in 9 or 10). I guess I had 2 big concerns, which the first looks like has been answered (48T chain retention would be okay).

The second would be to spend the money on 10-speed shifters, and rear der (or the wolftooth adapter), or stick w/9-speed. Is it worth the extra cog?
Quote Reply
Re: 1x9 vs 1x10 [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its a 9-speed long-cage derailleur (probably at that time made for triple). I'm not quite sure what the capacity is, but at that time I believe 28 was the max, but people stretched it to 30 with the b-screw, idk.

Btw I think you posted your new 1x build, that thing is Sweet!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get this. $20.

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/products/roadlink

That should give you 36-40t cpacity.

Thanks for the compliments. I like it a LOT!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MikenUltra wrote:

The second would be to spend the money on 10-speed shifters, and rear der (or the wolftooth adapter), or stick w/9-speed. Is it worth the extra cog?

I run 1x with a 10 speed 12-36. I have a couple less cogs in the middle compared to your 12-28. I would recommend keeping the ratios a tight as possible in the back. 46t with a 12-30 gives you decent climbing. You can try this without much financial outlay. If you need more, just go to 11 speed.

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply