Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

1st race in 2 years--weight loss help?
Quote | Reply
Due to multiple injuries, I have not raced since Feb, 2010. I have put on 35 lbs in this time (from 160 to 195. I am 6 ft tall), due to inactivity, depression, divorce, life, etc. How realistic is it to drop a kilo a week for the next 15 weeks? Is 1/2 a kilo a week more realistic? I have been doing @5hours/ week of training for the past 2 months. I am going to ramp it up to 10 to 15 hours/ week over the next few months. I know that through a realistic/ healthy diet and an increase in triaining that the weight will come off. But I want some idea of a realistic expectation. Thanks!

Habitual line stepper.
Quote Reply
Re: 1st race in 2 years--weight loss help? [zeusrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Best choice is to see a nutritional consultant with endurance experience. As a rule of thumb we feel 60% to 70% of weight loss results come from nutritional plan - so focus on that. Obviously the training will help but there are lots of fat cyclists and runners out there who log a lot of miles with little weight loss to show for all those miles. Healthy & sustainable weight loss is generally considered 1 - 2 lbs max per week. Resist the quick fix options, they are not healthy and may pose a problem combined with all your training and most people simply put the weight back on once they stop. Congratulations on taking back control of your health!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome back!!! 1kg per week is too much. Maybe half that would be sustainable. You're likely to burn out or re-injure yourself.

Run more.
Eat less.
No food after 6:30PM.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: 1st race in 2 years--weight loss help? [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Diet is a huge part of it...basic guidlines, stick to lean proteins (chicken, fish, turkey) good complex carbs (oatmeal, sweet potatos). If you eat well and you are in the gym 2 hours a day like you say you will def drop weight at a good rate. Its hard to say how much cause everyone is different. Lifting weights will also help, not get bigger is that not your thing but even toning weights....your body burns calories trying to all day trying to repair your muscles not just when you are working out.

Dont eat carbs late in the day..best to get them all in before your workouts
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Even though you have a weight goal in mind, also have an "inches" goal in mind. I've found these to be more motivational as you can keep seeing improvement in their measurements independent of your weight. This is most important on the inevitable weight loss plateau.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: 1st race in 2 years--weight loss help? [DoesItReallyMat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting this tread, im in the same situation as you, maybe we should compare our strategies and results to help each other!

Formely stef32
Quote Reply
Re: 1st race in 2 years--weight loss help? [stef32] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
New to ST, but not knew to weight loss. I'm down 130 lbs since January 2010. I'm now well into training for IMCDA and just finished my first 1/2 Marathon. I still have probably 15-20 lbs to go before IMCDA to maximize my racing weight (currently at 190, 5' 10" but long torso and short legs).

That said, exercise is a bad weight loss strategy. It is much easier to balance the thermodynamic equation on the input side rather than the output side. I did no exercise at all until I had already dropped about 80 of my 130 lbs. I averaged during an 18 month period about 1.5 lbs per week. I only weighed once a month and some months were more than others. However, your weight can very several pounds during the course of any given day.

The math is simple. Estimate your base metabolic rate. There are plenty of tools for that. Estimate your net exercise burn on a weekly basis and divide that by 7. Add that to your base metabolic rate and subtract 500 kcal. That's your daily intake goal for a 1 lb per week weight loss. Don't eat any simple sugar or any processed flour. If the package says "enriched ______" don't eat it. Eat whole foods, lean protein and complex cards. Plan your meals in advance and eat the plan. If you plan your meals on the fly, you will be more prone to overeat. Since you won't plan any meals after 6:30 or 7:00 pm, late night snacking won't be an issue.

One caveat. You may find it hard to lose weight while training. Ironically, my weight loss has slowed as my training volume has increased. If you want to experience the gains from training, you have to fuel your body. Long duration workouts in zone 2 will help maximize the weight loss if you can keep your training fuel in check. The idea is to burn ample fat and glycogen and then recover to replenish the glycogen and repair the muscle but not replenish the fat stores. I would not expect to lose more than 1-2 lbs per week. Any more than that and your training will suffer and you risk consuming lean muscle rather than fat which is not good.

YMMV

Panabax

We’ve heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true.—Robert Wilensky
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zeusrun wrote:
Due to multiple injuries, I have not raced since Feb, 2010. I have put on 35 lbs in this time (from 160 to 195. I am 6 ft tall), due to inactivity, depression, divorce, life, etc. How realistic is it to drop a kilo a week for the next 15 weeks? Is 1/2 a kilo a week more realistic? I have been doing @5hours/ week of training for the past 2 months. I am going to ramp it up to 10 to 15 hours/ week over the next few months. I know that through a realistic/ healthy diet and an increase in triaining that the weight will come off. But I want some idea of a realistic expectation. Thanks!

A kilo a week is not unreasonable for the first month, maybe two at the outside, but if you keep it up your training will likely suffer some as a result. Ramp into the exercise, and slightly cut the calories and you should be able to hit 1k per week. When it starts to taper off and you aren't losing as fast, then you can start balancing the calories and exercise to hit about .5k a week. When you hit your goal weight, up the calories to match your exercise routine and all should be good.

Make sure with the injury history that you ease into the exercise in a sensible fashion, otherwise you'll be back on the injury list.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply