Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
1ST ever Slowtwitch virtual Turkeyman Tri/Du
Quote | Reply
Race season is over for most of us northerners, or is it?

Announcing the first annual (and maybe last, depending on turnout) Slowtwitch virtual Turkeyman Tri/Du. 500m/20k/5k or 5k/20k/5k.

Easy to enter: No entry required except posting your times by the cut off.

No entry fee: thats right absolutly free (beat that IMNA)

Awards: Awards will be given out in each age group going 3 deep. Rewards will consist of bragging rights only, given the cost of entry that seems fair.

The rules: (note anyone caught breaking the rules will be banished to the lavendar room with Hottie thread privileges revoked)

1) Have fun.

2) Race may be completed anytime between 12am 11/25/04 and 11:59pm 11/28/04, in other words anytime this friday saturday or sunday.

3) Race must be completed as one continious event except as noted below.

4) Swim leg, 500m please keep accurate track of your laps, I suggest having someone count for you or using some device to record laps. immediately after you complete 500m STOP YOUR WATCH you have one hour to begin your bike leg. This allows you to go home and ride on the trainer, or outside if possible. Note if you stop or get out of the pool during this portion the clock keeps running.

5) Duathletes, you will also have 1 hour after the first 5k, this probably isn't necessary but it keeps thing even.

6) The bike, 20k, try to be as accurate as possible. If using a trainer you may set the tension as light as you like but the wheel must touch the tension device. remember that your computer will not register if the magnet is on the front wheel. If you stop or get off the bike the clock keeps running. When you hit 20k STOP YOUR WATCH. You have one hour to get to your run location.

7) The run, 5k, either treadmill or outside. try to be as accurate as possible. I am using a certified 5k course in my town for this. When you are done STOP YOUR WATCH. This will be you total time. I will open a seperate thread to be used to post times only, use this thread for comments. That way I don't have to wade through the comments to get everyones times. If you have your splits post them, if not overall time is fine include age, gender, and wether you did the tri or du.

8) Transition times should not be included in any way. Basically everyone has a 1hr t1 and t2.

9) drafting on the bike will not be tolerated, drafters will be forced to handwrite the powercranks vs. rotor cranks thread in it's entirety.

10) above all see rule #1

So who's up for a race?

Obiligatory idiot proofing:

The above bears no responsibility in any way shape or form for any injuring to person or property suffered during this event. Triathlon is a dangerous sport, any risk of injury or death is solely the resposibility of the participant. Slowtwitch .com is in no way affiliated with this production.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Last edited by: Jim: Nov 22, 04 20:33
Quote Reply
Re: 1ST ever Slowtwitch virtual Turkeyman Tri/Du [Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim - great idea! I'm not sure if I'll be able to join in due to logistical problems (no pool or bike for the weekend), but I just wanted you to know that I think it's a fantastic idea.

D.
Quote Reply
Re: 1ST ever Slowtwitch virtual Turkeyman Tri/Du [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it goes well I'll hold another over the xmas break.

Jim

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like a good excuse to go for a swim/bike/run. Do we stop the watch between the bike and the run or do do the whole transition zone thingy? Either way, count me in.......I think.

Relax2dmax

Relax2dmax

"Just remember there is only 2 letters difference between STUD and STUPID." Heard on the course of the 1998 Lost Boys Ultramarathon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
point of Order, Mr Chairman...

specifically: based on the potential conflicts between venue availability (esp pool) and available daylight (for those who don't/can't/won't use treadmills or trainers), is there some flexibility allowed re: the order of events...so long as the 1hr T1/T2 allowances are not violated?

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: 1ST ever Slowtwitch virtual Turkeyman Tri/Du [relax2dmax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Relax2dmax

Yes, you have a max 1hr T2. Transition timje DO NOT COUNT FOR TOTAL TIME. Your watch should be stopped at the 20k mark on the bike and restarted at the beginning of your run.

Jim

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in. At least I'll try to. I don't know what the weekend plans are.

Note: This will be my first-ever triathlon of any sort, but what the heck? Why not? Gotta start somewhere!

--------------------
Yes, I too now have a Blog. Don't laugh.
Quote Reply
Re: 1ST ever Slowtwitch virtual Turkeyman Tri/Du [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some participants could construe that as an unfair advantage. Given that you could avoid the "run off the bike". I did put the duathlon option in for just that reason. Personally I can't make the pool work either (have to work all wekend) so I wil be doing the du also.

Jim

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very cool idea. Where is the waiver of liability form? I suggest amending your post to indicate that participation is a voluntary assumption of all risks.
Quote Reply
Re: 1ST ever Slowtwitch virtual Turkeyman Tri/Du [Trianthes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Opps! thanks

Jim

Quote Reply
1 other recomendation [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know we have people from many nations in Slowtwitchia. I however only have access to 25 yard pools. Could we make it 500 yards or should I just do the du?

el
Quote Reply
Re: 1 other recomendation [elund] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do 550 yards and stop your watch 3 yards out on your last lap. 500m=546.8 yds.

Jim

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In all fairness, perhaps the duathletes should only run 1 mile on the first leg since the tri-folks only have to swim 500M? (OK, maybe 1.5 miles)

Dave from VA
Quote Reply
Re: 1ST ever Slowtwitch virtual Turkeyman Tri/Du [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5k is standard distance for a du. I will be keeping seperate stats for du and tri. By the way if anybody would like to help me keep track of anything, providing I get enough interest. Please let me know.

Jim

Quote Reply
Re: 1 other recomendation [Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am in and I will swim the extra 3 yards
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the pool is closed, I'll do the dew...uh, du.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: 1ST ever Slowtwitch virtual Turkeyman Tri/Du [Titan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bump

Jim

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The above bears no responsibility in any way shape or form for any injuring to person or property suffered during this event. Triathlon is a dangerous sport, any risk of injury or death is solely the resposibility of the participant. Slowtwitch .com is in no way affiliated with this production.
Jim

Jim:

You are not getting off the hook that easily! You just suggested and planned an event that has to be approved and sanctioned by USAT :-)

Please contact USAT immediately!

To all that plan on participating:

Don't forget to include your credit card information with your submission or post, so that the obligatory 1 day fee can be collected!

I am in ! (don't tell USAT, but I am doing something similar every month).

adrialin

(BOMK, racing drug and supplement free since 1985)
Quote Reply
Re: 1ST ever Slowtwitch virtual Turkeyman Tri/Du [adrialin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shhhhh! Slowman might hear.

Jim

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in for the du on Friday. No pool access this weekend.
Quote Reply
Re: 1ST ever Slowtwitch virtual Turkeyman Tri/Du [JRH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JRH, got a bath-tub? My two 1/2 year old loves to slosh back and forth from one end to the other yelling, "I'm swimmin', I'm swimmin'". Just make sure to measure your tub accurately so you'll know how many laps to do ;)

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: 1ST ever Slowtwitch virtual Turkeyman Tri/Du [Titan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like the current participant list is:

me
relax2dmax
carl
twindad
trianthes
elund
DC pattie
titan
adrialin
jrh
Last edited by: Jim: Nov 23, 04 6:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will do it if i can get to the pool. It sounds like a great idea. If it were any other weekend I could guarantee participation. We're going to the in-laws in Pittsburgh.

Thanks for putting this together!

Dan
www.aiatriathlon.com

http://www.aiatriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
6) The bike, 20k, try to be as accurate as possible. If using a trainer you may set the tension as light as you like but the wheel must touch the tension device. remember that your computer will not register if the magnet is on the front wheel. If you stop or get off the bike the clock keeps running. When you hit 20k STOP YOUR WATCH. You have one hour to get to your run location.

I can probably average about 33mph on my rollers (no resistance) for that distance. Can I use that?

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can not do it - sorry. I still think it is a great idea.
Quote Reply

Prev Next