Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
15y/o - 209 heart good? & one golden advice please :)
Quote | Reply
Im 15 y/o i do swim bike run & im on my 3rd year as an aspiring triathlete

Now taking my fitness details seriously

Ran a 3k today in 12:02 mins
And heart rate reached 209bpm (i usually get 207bpm & now it has increased!!) .. my resting heart rate is 58

Idk if this something to be happy about but i really hope it means something haha

does this mean my cardiovascular fitness is getting stronger? & does this mean im fit compared to the average 15 year olds?

And if you were to give me one golden advice as a 15y/o .. what would it be?

It'll help alot! :) thanks
Quote Reply
Re: 15y/o - 209 heart good? & one golden advice please :) [_junj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One golden advice as a father of 15 year old and 19 year old is to stop posting here, go have your parents connect you with professionals that work with young adult athletes, whether coaches, doctors or whatever it needs to be. As a developing young athlete you need quality knowledge and experience of professionals and not social forum full of us oppinionated adults.
Thats my golden advice to you.
Quote Reply
Re: 15y/o - 209 heart good? & one golden advice please :) [_junj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Max heart rate is an irrelevant metric I’m 33 and can still hit over 210. If you were doing the 3k all out it wouldn’t surprise me you can get that high.
Quote Reply
Re: 15y/o - 209 heart good? & one golden advice please :) [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
both previous posters are spot on

max HR is a useless metric and you should get some good coaching, if you really want to improve

HR at tempo is useful for training, but I don't want to get into a long conversation about that
my 12 yo hit 230 max HR with my HR monitor a number of years ago-just proving to me what I already know-

max HR is a genetic preset and degrades with age and lack of fitness-don't worry about it!
go train and race!

and good luck in your training!!!
Quote Reply
Re: 15y/o - 209 heart good? & one golden advice please :) [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power meter and a coach would help too.
Quote Reply
Re: 15y/o - 209 heart good? & one golden advice please :) [atasic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
atasic wrote:
One golden advice as a father of 15 year old and 19 year old is to stop posting here, go have your parents connect you with professionals that work with young adult athletes, whether coaches, doctors or whatever it needs to be. As a developing young athlete you need quality knowledge and experience of professionals and not social forum full of us oppinionated adults.

Tell that to a kid that probably should have gotten tubes put in his ears, instead he got speech therapy. Although the speech therapy helped a lot, the cause was the ears. Professionals are great but they are usually in their own little box too. Go to 5 different professionals and you will likely get 5 different opinions. Sometimes having opinions and keeping an open mind is not all that bad.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Focus on eating well, sleeping well, and recovering well. Find your passion and follow it. If you continue in sport the key is consistency. Never be afraid to take rest and listen to your body. Always get a second opinion.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: 15y/o - 209 heart good? & one golden advice please :) [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with you completely. I coached swimmers in the past. The issue is that ability to filter sound information at this early stage can be questionable. It is maybe more prudent to allow parents to realize the potential of the young athlete and seek what in their judgement is the best guidance forward for their kid.
Unquestionably that he/she will get lots of good information here but there will be other side too offering what would not consititute sound advice.
Young athletes are not miniture masters athletes and have their own special needs in development. Thats all.
Quote Reply
Re: 15y/o - 209 heart good? & one golden advice please :) [atasic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
atasic wrote:
I agree with you completely. I coached swimmers in the past. The issue is that ability to filter sound information at this early stage can be questionable. It is maybe more prudent to allow parents to realize the potential of the young athlete and seek what in their judgement is the best guidance forward for their kid.
Unquestionably that he/she will get lots of good information here but there will be other side too offering what would not consititute sound advice.
Young athletes are not miniture masters athletes and have their own special needs in development. Thats all.

I also agree with you though too. Stay off ST. We could all do a better job of getting outside and connecting with nature. Less computers. Dan has a great community with lots of great resources and it is valuable, but it is all about balance too.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At 17-20 I had a max of 211, lt of 193-194, and a resting ~45.

Didn't mean anything. I wasn't that good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
_junj wrote:
I'm 15 y/o i do swim bike run & i'm on my 3rd year as an aspiring triathlete
Now taking my fitness details seriously
Ran a 3k today in 12:02 min
And heart rate reached 209bpm (i usually get 207bpm & now it has increased!!) .. my resting heart rate is 58
Idk if this something to be happy about but i really hope it means something haha
does this mean my cardiovascular fitness is getting stronger? & does this mean im fit compared to the average 15 year olds?
And if you were to give me one golden advice as a 15y/o .. what would it be?
It'll help a lot! :) thanks

My one "golden advice": Since you said nothing about it and since no one else has mentioned it, WORK ON YOUR SWIM NOW WHILE YOU ARE YOUNG!!! If you have read this forum very much, you have no doubt read 100s of guys and girls moaning about how hard it is to learn to swim well as an adult. So do it now, get on some sort of swimming team, even if only in the summers but ideally a year-round program. Really, this is the biggest thing you should do as a young triathlete and will help you for the rest of your tri career, which hopefully will span another 80 yrs or so.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please make sure that you have an EKG than follow the advice of those above
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Max heart rate isn't really good or bad. The fact that you can get a couple of BPM higher than you used to be able to could be down to a raised ability to push yourself to the limit, but could equally be you were just a bit better rested that day, had a blip on your HRM, it was a hot day, or similar. I recently did a 1 hour bike race at an average HR about 5 BPM higher than anything I've done in the last decade, but it was an unusually hot and humid day, I was well tapered and I rarely do bike races that short.

The golden advice is to enjoy your sport and make it a lifetime habit! The vast majority of us don't have the talent to make any money from the sport (and in endurance sports, unless you're at the absolute top of the pile there isn't much money to be made anyway), but if exercising becomes a habit and a source of happiness then that is plenty enough reward in itself. You've got a whole lifetime ahead of you and endurance athletes don't really start declining until their 40s, so no need to burn yourself out early.
Quote Reply
Re: 15y/o - 209 heart good? & one golden advice please :) [frenchfried] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
frenchfried wrote:
Please make sure that you have an EKG .....
Why?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
atasic wrote:

What he said!
Quote Reply
Re: 15y/o - 209 heart good? & one golden advice please :) [rubik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Similar here, I could hit 210 doing hills on my road bike in my teens, and my resting heart rate was 37. I saw a sports doc at the time (one of the Canadian Olympic team docs) because I was getting the odd heart palpation. He took my resting heart rate, told me I was fine. :) (also had zero other symptoms)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go see your GP and ask him. An internet forum is not a good place to ask for health advice.
Quote Reply
Re: 15y/o - 209 heart good? & one golden advice please :) [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

wolf-Parkinson-white and other conduction problems that show on an EKG. Testing is mandatory in Europe but not here. It turns out that some of these conduction issues cause sudden death in young athletes.
Quote Reply
Re: 15y/o - 209 heart good? & one golden advice please :) [frenchfried] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
frenchfried wrote:

wolf-Parkinson-white and other conduction problems that show on an EKG. Testing is mandatory in Europe but not here. It turns out that some of these conduction issues cause sudden death in young athletes.
What do you mean it's mandatory in Europe?
For everyone everywhere in Europe, athletes in specific disciplines, with specific complaints at a specific level in specific regions? Or somewhere in between?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are serious about triathlon (and looking to participate in USAT Elite races), you only need one advice: swim, a lot.
Quote Reply
Re: 15y/o - 209 heart good? & one golden advice please :) [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triathlon Canada is making all of their pros get physicals with ECG before they can compete in 2018. They said this is a new ITU regulation, and I can only guess it has something to do with the unfortunate passing of Laurent Vadal a few years ago.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Golden indeed

" I take my gear out of my car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of of their lives shocks me. "
(opening lines from Tim Krabbe's The Rider , 1978
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
atasic wrote:

wait a minute! you told him to stop posting here, i assume because you think he'll get bad advice here. and then you gave him advice! ;-)

and now i'll offer mine. which may or may not parallel the advice you gave, depending on what you meant. i think the best thing most 15yo athletes can do is hang with other 15yo athletes on an interscholastic team. join your swim team. or cross country team. or both. train and race with your peers, both at your school and with the best athletes you can find at other schools around you (during summer, etc.).

and if you have a question about your HR go see your school nurse, or your primary care physician. mine was over 200bpm when i was in HS. it's probably 160 now. 220 minus your age turns out to not be that horribly far off.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JunJ! Hey man if I were to give you any advice, I'd say keep it simple! Honestly, forget measuring HR unless there's a medical reason to do so or you honestly consider it as an invaluable tool in training. Becoming a slave to numbers can sometimes hinder your max potential. Triathletes love data and gadgets and gear but those are the very last couple % of what matters in performance. Focus on good sleep and recovery and just putting in consistent work. Have fun while at it!
Quote Reply
Re: 15y/o - 209 heart good? & one golden advice please :) [A vdLinden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe it's an ITU regulation, even for juniors in the elite races.
Quote Reply

Prev Next