Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

13 Days to Eagleman - When do I taper? HELP!!!
Quote | Reply
OK 13 days to Eagleman, my first attempt at a long course. My goal is to finish. Trained my self using a combination of online freebies. Have several 40, 50 and one 60 mile ride along with several 8, 10 and 11 mile runs. My mid week training consists of two 4/5 mile runs and two 30 mile rides. I have one weekend left before the race.

Go long or start my taper?

Also shoes a pretty worn go new and break them in or keep the worn ones?

Too many questions, too little time.

Thanks,

Ralph

The Cuban Comet
(Comets are unbelievably slow over Cuba)
Quote Reply
Re: 13 Days to Eagleman - When do I taper? HELP!!! [hpwvale] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man, I love Eagleman! I love the course, the people, the camping you name it! Good luck! I hope you have a great race! This weekend should be your last long workouts, but if you are in the east, you probably are having terrible weather and training indoors. Don't worry about it. I'm setting Computrainer PR's. Do you normal workouts all this week, cut your long stuff in half next weekend, then back down all the following week, resting friday. When you get there saturday, go for a swim, the Choptank is great. It will probably be your first outdoor swim of the year and you'll feel more relaxed on sunday. Most of all remember to have a good time. It's one of the best run races anywhere. And remember to push yourself on the bike. It is much faster thatn you think. And remember to ride to the right of the traffic lane, just left of the line, not on the shoulder. Last year, people got lots of flats riding on the shoulder. Good Luck, race well, you're going to love it! And get some new shoes today!

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Last edited by: Sweeney: May 26, 03 15:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Taper! Don't kill yourself this close to your race. Check out Gordo's page and Rich Strauss on tapering. Worked well for me.

http://www.cruciblefitness.com/

http://www.byrn.org/

Enjoy
Quote Reply
Re: 13 Days to Eagleman - When do I taper? HELP!!! [Navi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
when in doubt, do less. keep up some intensity and really reduce the volume. Take a nap if possible.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nothing inside of 10-14 days will help you, so going long next weekend serves no purpose. you need to taper depending on your fitness level. from the sound of what you have been doing, a longer taper may be more beneficial. start at least by wednesday of this week. reduce volume by 50% the rest of this week. next week, even more. maintain intensity...thereby increasing the % of total training time that is high intensity.

tommy
Quote Reply
Re: 13 Days to Eagleman - When do I taper? HELP!!! [Tommy Nelson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to all, looks like the taper will start. Wish me luck and pray for warmth. Temperatures are pretty cold...at least for a So. Florida native.

The Cuban Comet
(Comets are unbelievably slow over Cuba)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can do more harm than good 2 weeks before the race. Did the race 5 years in a row up to 2000. The swim can vary a lot! There may even be a run in the middle of it depending on the sand bar situation. Don't lose your mind if your pace is off. The current and measurement year to year can make the swim feel +/- 400M. Look at the leader times year to year.

The run is the most boring out and back 13M that exists...
Quote Reply