Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
12-speed has arrived
Quote | Reply
http://www.cyclingnews.com/...ecord-groups-launch/

Just when you thought it would be safe to buy a new bike, they throw another decision point at you. Buy now and be obsolete in a year or two or wait.

It does make 1x look more appealing though.
Quote Reply
Re: 12-speed has arrived [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
....Just when you thought it would be safe to buy a new bike, they throw another decision point at you. Buy now and be obsolete in a year or two or wait....
This doesn't make 11 speed any less effective than it already is.
There will always be the next product.
I'm not entirely convinced about 9 tooth sprockets yet but we'll see.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty cool. But I still run a 10 speed. Personally I'll just keep running the cheaper parts until I'm absolutely forced to change.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: 12-speed has arrived [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like the smallest sprocket is an 11 for Campy for now.

The difference between gearing is getting so close that intelligent (auto) shifting seems inevitable. That would be easier to manage in a 1x, but to be smooth you might need more like 15 sprockets.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a game changer

grumpier.mike wrote:

Just when you thought it would be safe to buy a new bike, they throw another decision point at you. Buy now and be obsolete in a year or two or wait.

Inside The Big Ring: Podcast & Coaching

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice. Now just give me a clutched RD and an 11-36 and I'm set. Personally I'm surprised that Campy didn't use 12 speed as an opportunity to launch a 1x groupset.
Quote Reply
Re: 12-speed has arrived [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M----n wrote:
Looks like the smallest sprocket is an 11 for Campy for now.

The difference between gearing is getting so close that intelligent (auto) shifting seems inevitable. That would be easier to manage in a 1x, but to be smooth you might need more like 15 sprockets.
My mistake. I had a quick read of the link but somehow still ended up thinking i'd red about a 12 speed 1x group. For that a 9 tooth and/or a really big largest sprocket with a large chainring would be needed to maintain a big gear range. For a double I see no issues.

I don't see much attraction in an auto gear changer. I'm quite happy to stick with manual gear change just as I do with my car.
Quote Reply
Re: 12-speed has arrived [Brandes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brandes wrote:
This is a game changer

grumpier.mike wrote:

Is it?
It's surely just an incremental change. Probably an overall improvement, provided reliability and functionality doesn't suffer as a result of adding an extra sprocket. This is less of a game changer than any of the previous sprocket count increases. Was 10 speed to 11 speed a game changer? I don't think so, although I really like my Shimano 11speed group.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It really isn't... should have noted sarcasm with that post. It all seems a bit ridiculous, but i'm sure people can convince themselves how inconvenient having only 11 cogs is ;)

Inside The Big Ring: Podcast & Coaching

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All of this as well as the Shimano product development is lower gearing for the gravel market.

That is what is driving the need for road systems to need a 32 tooth rear cassette.

Sram has 12 s for mtn, you would have thought it would have been done on road before MTB.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah right. Not obvious enough for my sarcasm detector since there are, I suspect, those who sincerely think it is a game changer.

I certainly don't think 12 speed is ridiculous so long as no other qualities of the groupset is significantly sacrificed to add the 12th sprocket. It would be ridiculous to start selling off your 11 speed stuff thinking it had suddenly become obsolete but otherwise, it's reasonable enough.
Quote Reply
Re: 12-speed has arrived [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Nice. Now just give me a clutched RD and an 11-36 and I'm set. Personally I'm surprised that Campy didn't use 12 speed as an opportunity to launch a 1x groupset.

Both Campy and Shimano seem to be holding out as long as possible on 1x.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The nice thing about Campy (although you pay for the privilege), is that they don't make all of your old wheels obsolete with each increase in the number of rear cogs. Someone commented elsewhere that the 12-cog cassette will run on the same freehub as 9-10-11-12.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So not Shimano...

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: 12-speed has arrived [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow. Just wow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s a big year for Campy..they also claim to have the lowest drag wheels out
Quote Reply
Re: 12-speed has arrived [mattr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
but it's mechanical ?
Quote Reply
Re: 12-speed has arrived [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We saw a teaser of the Ultegra RX rear derailleur at Flanders so Shimano must have everything about ready to release. I’ve also heard rumors that eTap 1x12 is set to be release at TdF this year.
Quote Reply
Re: 12-speed has arrived [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the next great design idea that will blow them all out of the water. Three chain rings up front!!! And they though increasing the gears by one was enough.
Quote Reply
Re: 12-speed has arrived [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SRAM already did it, and their stuff isn't overpriced dentist-bait.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
scott8888 wrote:
I have the next great design idea that will blow them all out of the water. Three chain rings up front!!! And they though increasing the gears by one was enough.
Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
scott8888 wrote:

Nope......infinitely variable shifting!

Quote Reply
Re: 12-speed has arrived [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spntrxi wrote:
but it's mechanical ?

I've read that EPS will follow shortly after the mechanical groups make their way to consumers this summer.
Quote Reply

Prev Next