Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

10k open water swim, how to train?
Quote | Reply
Anyone done an open water 10k? Just curious how I should go about training for one. I've done a bunch of 3.8k swims, but nothing beyond this. I'm an ok swimmer and will be doing this 10k in August as part of my training for a double IM in October.

Thanks,
David
Quote Reply
Re: 10k open water swim, how to train? [kytri_in_CO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you coming up to Indy for this open water 10K? I have a new coach here in southwestern Indiana that does these every year at Eagle Creek in Indy. He has talked me into doing this also, so I guess I'm going to find out how to train for it very soon. But alas, I cannot answer your question.

Michael
(formerly santa claus)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
David, I'm far from a swimming expert but I have done two double IMs. The longest I ever swam in training was 1:30, which I did several times. I don't think you'd have to do anything special for the 10k, assuming your goal is to use it as training. If you swim consistently for a few months leading up to both the 10k and the double IM you will not have any problems. Enjoy the ride!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done several.

Training isn't THAT much different than an IM swim in terms of style. But the distance and time you put in is pretty different. I have no idea what you have done before, but there are lot of folks training for IM swims who SAY that they swim three times a week for an hour who actually swim about twice a week for 40 minutes or so.

Make one of your weekly workouts a longer one, 90 minutes to 2 hours.

In the early stages you can do damm near anything in terms of sets. As you get closer to the race, you'll naturally want to bemore specific. One of the sets I use reasonably often is to get a tempo trainer and get it to go off at a god but not terribly fast pace every 100 yards. In my case it might be that I set it to beep every 1:15, but use whatever pace is right for you. Then I swim that pace until it quits beeping, which in the case of the tempo trainer is 30 minutes. A couple of those sets and I am pretty well good for the day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Horsetooth? I've looked at that over the last couple of years, but it always sells out so damn early. Maybe I'll see you there!

Seth
Quote Reply
Re: 10k open water swim, how to train? [tribreck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yep, the start line is about 2 miles from our house so its convenient. Beyond the distance, there's also the issue of cold water and a reasonable altitude, I think its about 5,400 up there. The water will be in the 60s and wetsuits aren't allowed.

I did the 2.4 miler last year and it was a good warm up for IMC.
Quote Reply