Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

10 weeks off - fitness loss?
Quote | Reply
Good afternoon,

Right - this is definitely planning in advance. Essentially, I am halfway through my first year of university out of a three year course. I therefore have this summer off, and then the following summer off too before I return for my final year. This summer, it will be my last ever proper holiday so I'll be travelling (to do cycling) etc. However, the second summer will involve a 10 week internship at an investment bank, which will probably cut all training down, or maybe a couple (literally) of hours a week in the gym if there is one.

At the moment, I only cycle and am on the uni team. I train from 20 - 28hrs / week, and have been racing for 4.5 years, although the first year and a half were obviously nowhere near this much volume - it is really the last two that I've been doing this (I had last year as a year out, where I trained full time).

Anyway, I appreciate that doing a 10 week intership over the summer will be the end of my racing for that year (there aren't any really after it anyway). However, how is it best to handle this? When I finish the internship, it will be the "off season" - i.e. the end of September. Should I just gradually ease back in for two weeks and then ramp up the volume, treating the summer as a long, very early off season? Remember I'm only cycling so injury is not as likely as if I were a runner too. I assume watching my diet will be very important too - dramatic reduction in calories? Aaaagh!

Thanks for your comments,

James
Quote Reply
Re: 10 weeks off - fitness loss? [james406] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would ease into it.

To me it sounds like a good chance to really take some good recovery for the last couple of years. Start from scratch. Use this time to break bad training/nutrition habits, and take some time to really rebuild. Might be a good time to pick up weight training/yoga/flexibilty/etc if you've ignored them in the past.

I think you'll be surprised at how fast your body comes back - be careful not to overdo it - especially at first.

I think the most important thing you can probably do during that 10 week internship is to create a couple of hard and fast rules to live by; maybe something like do at least 30 minutes of training per day, eat right /etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jack Daniels states that training intensity (VDOT) should be reduced as follows:
0-5 days no effect
6 d .997
1 week .994
10d .985
2w .973
3w .952
4w .931
5w .910
6w .889
7w .868
8w .847
9w .826
10w .805
10.5w and up .8

In other words,

if your long runs are 5.18/km (or 8.32/mile) they shuold be 6:19/km (or 10:11/mile) after 10 weeks off
if your tempo runs are 4.15/km (or 6.51/mile) they shuold be 5:06/km (or 8:12/mile) after 10 weeks off

#######
My Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IIRC from my university kinesiology days (Quite a while ago, so this may have changed quite a bit), is that for a complete layoff, there is no real effect for 3-7 days (Depending on the individual), then after that, it's a loss of 2 for 1. Basically meaning, that for every day of training you miss past the initial "no-effect" point, it will take you two days of training to recover that.

Even light maintenance rides/runs a few times a week can help alleviate this, and since you have a really good base, it won't be as hard when you do come back.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
James, I've gone through something maybe a bit similar to you. I started grad school this past fall while working full time, and my training since September has been reduced by at least 70% (in terms of volume). I've simply done my best trying to throw in a run here and there, some skiing, etc. whenever I could. I can't do the long workouts now but I'm trying my best to keep the intensity up. My fitness has definitely fallen off since September but not as much as I was expecting (I'm still somewhat competitive in my ski races!) When school is out for the summer I hope to bring the volume back up quite a bit, and I think I should be good to go.

The two big things for me was to (1) realize that my fitness was going to decrease and to be okay with that, and (2) watch what I eat. Late night studying caused me to snack mindlessly, and with not enough sleep it was easy to slip up on my diet during the day. With such bad habits and a drastic reduction in training I put on a few pounds in a hurry. But it seems my brain and stomach are more on the same page now and my weight has come back just a few pounds over my "high volume-training" weight.

Work hard at your internship...sounds like a great opportunity. When you can train, pick up the intensity. And eat properly. Your bike will be waiting for you after the internship! Good luck!
Quote Reply