Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

10 speed vs 11 speed - new bike purchase...
Quote | Reply
I've been looking at a new bike. The problem I am running into is 10 speed 105 vs 11 speed Ultegra. . The difference in over all purchase price is only $300. So The other concern is I have a set of 50mm Bontrager wheels that are 9/10 speed hub that I would have to look at replacing the free hub to a 11 speed.

I've read issues about converting a 9-10 speed wheel to 11 speed. Should I just stick with the conventional 10 speed and save a few bucks and potential headaches?
Quote Reply
Re: 10 speed vs 11 speed - new bike purchase... [DLR1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There have been a few threads about this, but if you can use an 11-25 shimano 11-speed cassette (i.e., if you get the ultegra 11-speed bike), there is actually a very easy way to use your current 8/9/10-speed rear wheel without any conversion or re-dishing.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Nov 25, 13 19:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You won't really notice the difference on the road, but I do think $300 is a fair price increase for Ultegra 11 speed. It will probably be about a $150 for a Campy 11 speed freehub and cassette to convert your wheel. So now the difference is $450. The difference show up in your resale. If you keep your bikes for a long time like I do, then get the 10 speed. If you plan on getting a new bike in a year or two, then you better got the 11 speed.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: 10 speed vs 11 speed - new bike purchase... [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:
The difference show up in your resale. If you keep your bikes for a long time like I do, then get the 10 speed. If you plan on getting a new bike in a year or two, then you better got the 11 speed.

I'd actually argue the exact opposite. Regardless of how long you keep your bike eventually most people will sell it.

Thus, if you keep your bikes a long time, better to get 11 speed because by the time you you're gonna sell it, 11 speed will be the standard and 10 speed will be less desirable.

On the other hand if you think you'll sell within a few years, 10 sipped will still be fairly mainstream and easier to sell.

------------------------------
"Unless you have a ... GF who might put out that night and that night only ... skip it and race." - AndyPants 3-15-2007
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get the Ultegra 11. Campy is a good example. Once all the high-end stuff moved to 11, the cassette choice for 10 speed became somewhat limited. For example, I don't think they have made an 11-21 10-speed for years. Everyone is turning it up to 11, so 10 speed will fade just like screw on freewheels.
Quote Reply
Re: 10 speed vs 11 speed - new bike purchase... [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
at what point will something beyond 11 speed appear? 2 years? just curious your thoughts.
Quote Reply
Re: 10 speed vs 11 speed - new bike purchase... [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that would really start to push the dish of the rear wheel too far out of whack. If you look at an 11 speed wheel there is very little spoke angle on the drive side as is. I measure about 3 degrees from vertical on the drive and 10 on the non drive. There just isnt room for another cog with even a narrower chain.

My guess is that the only option for going 12 speed will be to widen the axel, which means widening the frame. If it took 4 years for SRAM and shimano to get on the 11-speed bandwagon, I figure you are good for about 5 or 6. My guess is you will see something completely different (belt drive with an internal hub would be light, clean, and about silent) before you see 12 speed.
Quote Reply
Re: 10 speed vs 11 speed - new bike purchase... [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There have been a few threads about this, but if you can use an 11-25 shimano 11-speed cassette (i.e., if you get the ultegra 11-speed bike), there is actually a very easy way to use your current 8/9/10-speed rear wheel without any conversion or re-dishing.

If you are talking about removing a cog from the 11spd cassette... then he will not be able to use 11spd with any wheel unless he wants to go through the hassle of setting the limit screws and shifting each time.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6800 is nicer generally than 10speed groups (even 7900) not really because of the extra cog (maybe just a little) but more because it's an improved group overall. For regular folks though, the difference won't make you significantly faster. 10sp 105 is fine. So ultimately it's a matter of your own budget and preference. I'd get 6800 as it's probably the best value right now.

http://www.falcobike.com
https://www.facebook.com/falcobikeglobal
http://www.twitter.com/Falco_Bike
falcobike@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Re: 10 speed vs 11 speed - new bike purchase... [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The difference between a 10 speed cassette and an 11 speed cassette is 2 mm and you use a 1 mm spacer with a 10 speed cassette. I just looked at the freewheel on one of my wheels and it looks like it would be pretty easy to take a Dremmel to it and get that other 1 mm to convert your own 10 speed wheel to 11 speed.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go 11.... No point investing money in old technology.. 11 will be around for a while. 10 will dissappear very shortly, sell all your 10 speed stuff
Quote Reply
Re: 10 speed vs 11 speed - new bike purchase... [garageman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Am I missing something in the aftermarket wheels. I've have been looking for 11 speed compatible wheels but I'm coming up short. Specifically I'm looking for something about 50-60 mm. Mavic, Flo or something similar. in the $800- 1200 price range.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out Boyd wheels, reasonably priced
Quote Reply
Re: 10 speed vs 11 speed - new bike purchase... [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:
The difference between a 10 speed cassette and an 11 speed cassette is 2 mm and you use a 1 mm spacer with a 10 speed cassette. I just looked at the freewheel on one of my wheels and it looks like it would be pretty easy to take a Dremmel to it and get that other 1 mm to convert your own 10 speed wheel to 11 speed.

Yeah, 1mm is not much if you're able to precisely remove the right amount of material in the right places. I am pretty sure you can find some info here and on other forums from folks who have done exactly that. But even if you're successful with the dremel tool, there is another issue to consider: the distance between the biggest 11-speed cog and your spokes. If the distance is too small, the RD will hit the spokes when you shift onto that cog. But this is typically (depends highly on the wheel and how the spokes run, of course) more of a problem with smaller rear cogs like 23s, sometimes 25s.

Greg @ dsw

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Flo wheels also have an 11 speed rear hub option, IIRC ...

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DLR1 wrote:
Am I missing something in the aftermarket wheels. I've have been looking for 11 speed compatible wheels but I'm coming up short. Specifically I'm looking for something about 50-60 mm. Mavic, Flo or something similar. in the $800- 1200 price range.

Flo has the 11 speed wheels for an additional $30. http://www.flocycling.com/faq.php
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its only a short time that Shimano has been 11 speed, In 1 years time,, 11 will be everywhere.. And thats why you want to go 11.. in 1 to two years time when you want new wheels, you will regret not having 11..

If your always going to buy second hand, the 10 speed may be a good option,, as your not going to see a heap of 11 speed wheels on the second hand market for a couple years
Quote Reply
Re: 10 speed vs 11 speed - new bike purchase... [garageman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is not totally true. You will always be able to add a spacer to an 11 sp freehub to convert it to 10 sp.
garageman wrote:
Its only a short time that Shimano has been 11 speed, In 1 years time,, 11 will be everywhere.. And thats why you want to go 11.. in 1 to two years time when you want new wheels, you will regret not having 11..

If your always going to buy second hand, the 10 speed may be a good option,, as your not going to see a heap of 11 speed wheels on the second hand market for a couple years

-Stephen in Arkansas
Quote Reply
Re: 10 speed vs 11 speed - new bike purchase... [razorbacksteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lively debate, seems to be split 50/50
Quote Reply