Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

10 speed spacer question
Quote | Reply
I just got a set of velocity spartacus pro wheels. When I took the 10 speed shimano cassette off of the training wheels that were on my bike (Mavic CXP22 rims), I also removed the plastic spacer that had been on the wheels. When I put the spacer and the cassette on the new wheels and tightened the nut, the freewheel stopped turning. Without the spacer everything moves fine, but I can't go into my 25 as the chain hits the spokes. Are there different sizes/types of spacers available? Easy to get?
Quote Reply
Re: 10 speed spacer question [mooseman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It sounds like the plastic spacer you are talking about is the spoke guard. Throw it away. The only spacer you need behind a 10-sp cassette on your new wheels is the 1mm metal one that comes with the cassette.

The only other time you would need an additional spacer would be with a Mavic hub.

Your chain is likely getting thrown into the spokes because your low limit is too far out. Different wheels are often spaced slightly off from each other, which means small adjustments when swapping between wheelsets.

Take a look at the back of your derrailluer. There will be two small screws, one with an "H" next to it, the other with an "L." Shift your bike into the 25. Turn the "L/Low" limit screw in (clockwise) a small amount until the der. pulley wheels are directly in line with the 25 cog of your cassette. If needed, shift into your highest cog (11 or 12) and repeat the process with the "H/High" limit screw. Check cable tension, then ride your bike.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is the chain hitting the spokes b/c the derailleur is moving too far, or b/c the largest cog is too close to the spokes? I would guess that it's the former and you only need adjust the Low-end adjustment of your derailleur so it can't move so far.

http://www.parktool.com/.../readhowto.asp?id=64

"The more you sweat today, the less you bleed tomorrow"
Quote Reply
Re: 10 speed spacer question [Mark C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The adjustment is fine, there just isn't physically enough room for the chain to fit onto the largest cog and pass between the inside of the cog and the spokes. Sounds like I need to track down the 1 mm spacer mentioned in the earlier reply.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does it feel like the cogs are slightly loose, even with the lock ring tightened all the way? If that is the case, then you are missing the 1mm spacer. If you can't find it, your LBS should have one available... Missing that spacer would cause the shifting woes you are describing.

Quote Reply