Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
10K open water added to Olympic program
Quote | Reply
http://www.usaswimming.org/...mId=893&mid=2356

"COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (Oct. 27, 2005) - The International Olympic Committee's Executive Board announced today that it will add the men’s and women’s 10K open water races to the Olympic program in Beijing. The decision comes on the heels of requests made by the international swimming federation, FINA, to the Executive Board.

The Executive Board made its final decisions on the inclusion of open water based on the recommendations of the Olympic Programme Commission.

“The addition of open water to the competition program at the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games is an exciting development for our sport,” USA Swimming’s executive director Chuck Wielgus said. “We are especially happy for our athletes, coaches and advocates who have worked so hard and who have dreamed of this day.

“I have personally always viewed open water as swimming’s corollary to what the marathon is to Track & Field. The event is unique, and it will offer up an entirely new side of competitive swimming to everyone who watches the Olympic Games.”

Wonder what Sara McLarty's plans are now?
Quote Reply
Re: 10K open water added to Olympic program [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jill,

I assume that is a "draft-legal" swim?

What are some of the tactical considerations? It's an interesting format and I've never seen one raced.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's huge... Do you think there is going to be an entirely different set of swimmers doing that kind of distance or will that be just another event that the existing athletes add to thier day?

----
Don't hold back
Quote Reply
Re: 10K open water added to Olympic program [Ashburn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Open water racing's pretty much the same as open water tri swims- find the swimmers at your pace, form a pack, and draft like heck. Every so often, speed up a bit to try to shake the weaker swimmers off the back, and then sprint like hell at the finish. It's just a good bit quicker than what you get for an Ironman distance swim.

You do sometimes get overlap between the 5K open water swimmers and the 1500M pool swimmers, but not so much with the 1500M/10K crowd.

Results from last year's Montreal World Championships:

5K Women:

1 Ilchenko Larisa, RUS 1988 55:40.1
2 Keefe Margy, USA 1985 55:44.3
3 Van Dijk Edith, NED 1973 55:46.6
4 McLarty Sara, USA 1983 55:56.1
5 Pechanova Jana, CZE 1981 56:18.3

5K men:

1 Lurz Thomas, GER 1979 51:17.2
2 Peterson Chip, USA 1987 51:18.8
3 Ercoli Simone, ITA 1979 51:18.9
4 Pampana Samuele, ITA 1976 51:37.5
5 Bircher Alan, GBR 1981 51:37.6

10K women:

1 Van Dijk Edith, NED 1973 1:56.00.5
2 Vitale Federicka, ITA 1983 1:56.02.5
3 Kamrai Britta, GER 1979 1:56.04.0
4 Popova Ksenia, RUS 1988 1:56.04.5
5 Hutchinson Trudee, AUS 1980 1:56.07.7

11. McLarty Sara, USA 1983 1:56.16.9 2

10K men:

Peterson Chip, USA 1987 1:46.38.1
2 Lurz Thomas, GER 1979 1:46.45.2
3 Stoychev Petar, BUL 1976 1:46.59.4
4 Rondy Gilles, FRA 1981 1:47.04.9
5 vd Weijden Maarten, NED 1981 1:47.07.4
Last edited by: FLA Jill: Oct 27, 05 15:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know what Sara's goals are for triathlon right now, but if it's just "make the olympics" there is no reason why she shouldn't completely focus on swimming. She has a relative cake-walk to the Olympics in the 10K. Not to mention she is still one of the best 400m freestylers in the world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
multiple laps/lengths?

how do they know the location of the exact finish line? touch a wall?

_________
kangaroo -- please do not read or respond to any of my posts
Quote Reply
Re: 10K open water added to Olympic program [GJS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most have multiple laps. The have a floating wall with touch pads for the finish.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Open water, are you familiar with the concept of open water swimming? ;-)

And yes, they touch a wall to finish. Sometimes after 5 or 10k there's a sprint, very cool.

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's what looks like a 6-10 foot long touch pad suspended about two or three feet above the in-water finish line. Smack your hand against the pad as you finish to get an official time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of the local pro triathletes (John Kenny) here in NJ took like 17th at the World 10K OW swim this year, going something around1:47. He beat me out of the water at one race in July by only :40. Yeah, I had a wetsuit and he didn't, and the swim only took him 4:28, but...

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's cool. I'd watch that. Too bad NBC probably won't let me. :(

-C

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: 10K open water added to Olympic program [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a popular sport, so NBC will probably show the last three minutes of it during prime time network coverage.

The thing that bugs me is that the non-popular sports actually get treated better by NBC. You will get full game coverage of Bulgaria v. Egypt men's team handball and Croatia v. China in women's volleyball and comprehensive modern pentathlon reporting. Granted it's airing at 3:00am on MSNBC (Go Tivo!) but you get to see everything because they kill the human interest stories for those kinds of sports in favor of just showing the damn games and routines.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the words of the esteemed Mr. Demerly...."that will be HUGE"
Quote Reply
Re: 10K open water added to Olympic program [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This may be a dumb question but what's the wetsuit rule for real swimmers? Do they find bodies of water that are reasonably warm for a 10k race or do they allow wetsuits sometimes? I think that swimming close to 2 hours in 50-60F water wouldn't be very enjoyable. This would be one open water event where the awesome swimmers couldn't complain about the weak swimmers (ie. runners like me) getting an advantage from their floaty-devices since they're all studly swimmers with or without the neoprene :)
Quote Reply
Re: 10K open water added to Olympic program [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I may be wrong on this, but I seem to recall that FINA does not allow wetsuits for any swim race regardless of temperature. For example, the 28 mile Swim Around Manhattan does not allow wetsuits because it is FINA sanctioned, despite the fact the race used to take place in early June when the water was still in the 60's.

Chris
Quote Reply
Re: 10K open water added to Olympic program [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Open water swimming = no wetsuit.

Here in Quebec they have one of the biggest open water races : Traversee internationale du Lac St-Jean. It varies from year to year from 30km to 42km and believe me the water is cold!!! Some parts of the lake can be about 60 degrees, or below. A friend of mine one the race in the mid 90's. I think he finished in about 9 hours. These long distance swimmers are crazy!!!

derek
Quote Reply
Re: 10K open water added to Olympic program [crmartin9] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I may be wrong on this, but I seem to recall that FINA does not allow wetsuits for any swim race regardless of temperature. For example, the 28 mile Swim Around Manhattan does not allow wetsuits because it is FINA sanctioned, despite the fact the race used to take place in early June when the water was still in the 60's.

FINA rules state no wetsuits and the minimum water temp is 16C which is about 60F
Quote Reply
Re: 10K open water added to Olympic program [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's cool. I'd watch that. Too bad NBC probably won't let me. :(

Hopefully there will be a Canadian in the race then those of us lucky enough to live within reception range of the CBC will get live full length race coverage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it's a shame that Edith van Dijk won't be there. This year was her last (even though she won almost every race this year).
Quote Reply
Re: 10K open water added to Olympic program [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Open water, are you familiar with the concept of open water swimming? ;-)

only in my nightmares :) but honestly, you're saying they are going to take the swimmers 10K out in the ocean and have them swim back. no laps or lengths? no course?

_________
kangaroo -- please do not read or respond to any of my posts
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is great news. We can expect to see a large influx of top current collegiate and post-collegiate distance talent who are a bit off the time in the 400/800/1500 get involved in OW swimming, starting tomorrow.

Marty Gaal, CSCS
One Step Beyond Coaching
Triangle Open Water Swim Series | Old School Aquathon Series
Powerstroke® Freestyle Technique DVD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is good news.
When godforesaken BMX racing was added to the Beijing events list it was necessary to drop another cycling event, specifically the men's kilo and the women's 500m, the former of which had been in the program since the advent of the modern Olympics. It doesn't seem that any of the main swimming events will be getting cut (FINA were lobbying for 3 MORE events). Does anyone know why swimming seems to get away with this and cycling doesn't?
If they want to cut something, I suggest cutting synchronised ANYTHING.
Quote Reply

Prev Next