Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

100mm deep wheel performance
Quote | Reply
Hi folks:

I'm thinking about getting a Blackwell 100 wheelset and can't find any useful data on its performance.
How do the 100s (and I guess Planet X 101s) compare to say a Hed Stinger 90?
They are a little deeper, but have a different rim shape. What performance differences to expect?
Second, how do 100s compare to a disc?
I think more than 50% of the surface area of a 100mm wheel is already covered by the rim, so how much more performance does a disc actually give you?
Hed's own data shows that a (Hed) disc is about even with a Stinger 90 up to 10 degrees of yaw and then starts to outperform the Stinger significantly at 15 and 20 degrees.
Hed's yaw calculator tells me that 20 degrees of yaw are not that unusual for my riding conditions. (10mph wind occurs all the time in the midwest.)
On a side note--is it reasonable to ride the Hed standard disc when you're 25 pounds above their stated rider weight level of 200 pounds?
Thanks,

Olaf
Quote Reply
Re: 100mm deep wheel performance [SurfnRide] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"how do 100s compare to a disc? "

The disc will always be faster, including a $100 disc cover. I don't know the actual figures but Hed used to publish their aero drag figures on their website which would compare their 90mm against a disc. You can always email Blackwell for their estimates.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

testing done by zipp... the 100mm or 101 if you prefer does best at very high yaw...but overall is performing very similar to the zipp 404 but with a lot more side force

overall... the 100mm is best use as a rear wheel in hawaii where it will see mostly high yaw... for the rest, a disc is best and the hed 90mm or zipp 808 and 1080 are very hard to beat.

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have one that I use on the front, with a disk on the rear. I have raced well with it, so I like it, but the one windy race I used it in it got pushed around quite a bit, to the point of affecting my willingness to really hammer it - actually, in my case, really "tap" it - thus negatively affecting my bike split.
Quote Reply
Re: 100mm deep wheel performance [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
According to John Cobb, the Planet X 101 and the Blackwell 100 do not come out of the same mold, even though the finish is very similar, and the wheels generally look identical.

Chris
Quote Reply
Re: 100mm deep wheel performance [chicanery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
same or different mold... i m pretty sure the aero number are close to identical for both wheels.... i had both the 100 and 101 and rode both for a season.... i would have call then identical... or i would have guess there are coming from 2 independant identical mold!:)

either are very good rear wheel for hawaii....

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: 100mm deep wheel performance [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
let's face it, Zipp is doing what any manufacturer would do: post data which puts their product in a favorable light. Hed and Rolf did the same thing. My guess is that with a 19mm tire, the data curves would look a lot different.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i raced a 100/100 combo for a season and have to say that the wheels are very fast as compared to a standard rim. I'm a big guy and race at about 175lbs and have a strong upper body and you do get blown around quite a bit with that much wheel up front.
Like the other poster said for a front wheel I'm not sure that the aero beneifits out weigh the loss of speed caused by trying to keep the bike on the road on a gusty day. My personal feeling is that at 50-60mm front and a disk in the back woudl be the real world fastest pair for that reason.

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply